answer these questions if you have a lot of experience using EMGs
1. How often would you change the batteries if you play about 2 hours a day?

2. Is it a hassle trying to change the batteries? Like do you need certain tools?

3. If you play without being plugged in, does it still drain away battery life?

thanks for your respsonses
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
1. 1-2 times a year.
2. all you need is a screwdriver.
3. they only draw power from the battery when you have a cable plugged into the jack
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
1. when i had actives i would usually change em every 4 months or so

2. No, you just unclip and then clip

3. No
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
1. Maybe two times a year or even less
2. Easy as hell to change the battery
3. If you don't have anything plugged in your jack, i don't think so
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
that about summed up everything i needed to know, thanks!
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
No problems
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
what EMGs are you lookin at getting? ive got a 60a in the bridge and i like that better than the 81. 60a has more midrange and the highs arent harsh. never heard the regular ceramic 60 though and i dont know anything about magnets so i cant tell you how they would be different.
1. agreed once a year for me, i remember playing a lot too
2. i just needed a screwdriver, i have had pedals where it was harder to change the pedal
3. absolutely not, the plug bridges the circuit i believe, so no jack - no worky worky

if you are getting an emg, there are a couple things i wish i knew at first. first is the battery, for some reason i found duracells were favorable for me. not for any tone reasons, but because they would just die one day. usually you would sit around wondering for a week why your guitar just wasn't quite as good sounding as last week until you realize the battery is dying. at least that was the case for me. duracells lasted a while, but when they went, there was no question of what was wrong, instant diagnosis. anyone else please chime in with their thoughts on batteries.

then the 18V mod, i wished i had known about the 18V mod. if you are looking into emg's then chances are you may be a metal head? maybe a part of the jazz fiend minority of emg users? either way the 18V mod just packs more punch, it pretty much just runs an extra 9 volt battery in the cavity to run a hotter signal. i am sure you could even do some kinda switch thing to turn it on or off. either way, something to look into.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
1. Annually-ish
2. super easy. Open up controls cavity and take out old battery. Insulate new battery with electrical tape or foam and stick it in.
3. nope. only when there is a cable in the jack.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Threadjack/ i have an emg in my bridge, and i dont know what kind is there a way to check?
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
yeah, next time you change strings, remove the 4 screws at each corner of the mounting ring (not the two that arent at the corners) and on the underside of the pup it will tell you what you have.

i agree with the 18v mod. its not difficult and the only cost to you is a few bucks for a switch if thats how you want to do it. i dont know how to make the switch noiseless, that would be good info to have if anyone knows how?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Ive actually been wondering about something too. Can you hear when the batteries are starting to run low? Like if it doesn't, you might be playing live and your battery suddenly run out
Quote by gumbilicious
then the 18V mod, i wished i had known about the 18V mod. if you are looking into emg's then chances are you may be a metal head? maybe a part of the jazz fiend minority of emg users? either way the 18V mod just packs more punch, it pretty much just runs an extra 9 volt battery in the cavity to run a hotter signal. i am sure you could even do some kinda switch thing to turn it on or off. either way, something to look into.

the purpose of emg 18v mod is to give it more headroom, the main upgrade of the emg X just give it more headroom

if u already dont have EMGs or any active pups just get some EMG Xs instead of 18v mod, its less hassle and i think its solderless,

EDIT: 4got to answer ur question :P
i dont think u could but just to be safe, change ur batteries b4 every gig
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Last edited by soloXshredder at Jul 26, 2009,
Yeah, it would be pretty annoying to loose your sound in the middle of a gig
The sound quality declines first, they start sounding more compressed and clip earlier and basically sound weak and fizzy.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by soloXshredder
the purpose of emg 18v mod is to give it more headroom, the main upgrade of the emg X just give it more headroom

if u already dont have EMGs or any active pups just get some EMG Xs instead of 18v mod, its less hassle and i think its solderless,

EDIT: 4got to answer ur question :P
i dont think u could but just to be safe, change ur batteries b4 every gig

Actually, it's harder, because you DO Have to solder, and the tone control that comes with them is active (And has a plactic housing apparently, which can be melted because you HAVE to do some soldering). It would be immensely easier to add the 18 volt mod to 9 volt EMGs.

And the 18 volt mod doesn't just add heardroom, it reduces compression and give it more of a passive characteristic.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores