Hey people, the bassist in my band is looking into buying an acoustic bass for pub gigs.

Must be 4 string, his budget is £300, but willling to compromise...

So yeah any suggestions guys?

Cheers.
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Acoustic basses are a waste of money, they're pretty much inauduible and sound crap when you actually can hear them.
Why does he want one?
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by Spaz91
Acoustic basses are a waste of money, they're pretty much inauduible and sound crap when you actually can hear them.
Why does he want one?

All other responses will be along these lines...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by DimebagJosho
Hey people, the bassist in my band is looking into buying an acoustic bass for pub gigs.
Must be 4 string, his budget is £300, but willling to compromise...
So yeah any suggestions guys? Cheers.

Yeah... understand the instrument for what it is, and accept/work with its limitations. Acoustically, a loud (relative) ABG can hang with 2 or 3 guitars. Anything more then that (depending) and it will need to be plugged in. Forget about the 15 piece ukulele orchestra.

The Dean ABG's (EAB) mentioned above are said to have pretty good acoustic volume; more then likely, for the most part, due to the super jumbo body. Dean has two tiers of ABG: the Playmate, and Performer. The playmate has passive electronics and is said to be weak on output when plugged in. If this bass is to be plugged in, look at the Performer.

In addition to a large, deep body, set up and technique also affect acoustic volume. A limp wrist ain't gonna cut it. It's an acoustic bass and you have to play it as such. In order to get those strings moving, they need to be off the board and you need to dig in.

And to this...
Originally Posted by Spaz91
Why does he want one?

I can only call attention to the posters sig...

The previous statement was no doubt misinformed and offensive and should not have been viewed by anyone.
The Deans are ungainly. Period.

The only AEB worth the wood its made from is the Thunderchief and possibly its lower end Olympia clone.

The studio I play at has two AEBs (one of them a Dean performer) and I'm sorry, I get drowned out even if two guitarists are playing with me. Acoustic Guitars, mind you. And they play soft. I love my little POS Rogue acoustic but its not a performance instrument.

Every bluegrass/folk group in my area (and we have more than I care to count), if they aren't using an amplified double bass, they use a P bass with a small amp. For a good reason.