What classical guitar strings should I use? I plan on restringing a very old classical guitar that hasn't been restrung in years, so I would love advice for this. I know usually people ask what's the best steel strings to use (like Elixirs or D'Addarios, or whatever) and it strings have a lot to do with preference, but I'm still asking the question so I can get a general idea of what to look for.
Quote by ItsTheMatthias
What classical guitar strings should I use? I plan on restringing a very old classical guitar that hasn't been restrung in years, so I would love advice for this. I know usually people ask what's the best steel strings to use (like Elixirs or D'Addarios, or whatever) and it strings have a lot to do with preference, but I'm still asking the question so I can get a general idea of what to look for.

Don't use steel strings on a classical guitar, that will **** it up beyond playability.

I use D'Addario classical nylon strings on mine and they work fine, good tone and a relatively long life.
Savarez.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Don't use steel strings on a classical guitar, that will **** it up beyond playability.

I use D'Addario classical nylon strings on mine and they work fine, good tone and a relatively long life.

lol I didn't say I would use steel strings on a classical guitar. That's just stupid. I said that the normal topics go over steel strings, not classical strings.

Quote by whatanoob
What are your preferences? (Song choice etc)

Usually just classical instrumental music. The usual things you'd expect from a classical guitar.
btw i have emailed Elixirs recently asking whether they are going to make classical guitar strings (yes, i'm their fanboy ) and they told me that they are in the stage of R&D

i always feel frustrated when fresh silver-plated strings die in 2-3 days
i liked D'Addario EJ45C's but sometimes i prefer augustines - it sort of depends on my mood. d'addarios have a cleaner sound but augustines have a bit of a richer sound to me. hard strings are good for articulation but may be too hard for some players' fingers. softer strings are easier on the fingers but if you don't play in strict hand position, the high e string may roll off the fretboard.