I'm looking to start teaching guitar to make a bit of money after school but don't know how to start. I'm 16 almost 17 and live in Southern California so I'm thinking that it might be hard to do here due to the tons of musicians trying to make a living. But anyway I've been playing for about 9 years now and studying both jazz and classical for 8. I've studied and played everything from flamenco to rock, studied Berklee Harmony Texts, Piston Harmony Texts, Different University Music Theory Courses, and Jazz Theory, as well as being a fluent sight reader so I'm pretty sure I am more than qualified to teach.

Any ideas on how to start?
tell your school music teachers about it. that's how I started. THey'll always have students who either don't practise enough or need a little extra help that the teachers or parents can't give.

Parents are always happy to keep their kids at school a little longer, if they think its worth having their kid take extra catch-up lessons, they'll pay.

Your school newsletter is also pretty great.

I found my main guitar teacher when I went to a local music store and asked for some reccomendations.
Quote by mdwallin
tell your school music teachers about it. that's how I started. THey'll always have students who either don't practise enough or need a little extra help that the teachers or parents can't give.

Parents are always happy to keep their kids at school a little longer, if they think its worth having their kid take extra catch-up lessons, they'll pay.

Your school newsletter is also pretty great.

I found my main guitar teacher when I went to a local music store and asked for some reccomendations.

Yeah, pretty much this.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Make sure you don't jump in too deep at first. Playing guitar is one thing, teaching guitar is another. Good luck!