Hey guys heres basically whats been going on

im a fourteen year old guitar player and ive been playing for about two years and i love playing heavy metal mainly thrash and all of that stuff.
back in december i was able to play alot of stuff like almost all the songs off the rust in peace album by megadeth and alot of Randy Rhoads songs.
But recently ive been struggling to Play at the level I could then and i feel as if i have decreased in skill.
I think part of it has to do with the fact that i didnt practice as much for a long time but now ive been practicing as much as I used to and i still feel like im having trouble and not up to what i used to do.
My dad (whos been playing in bands and singing for 20 something years) tells me that im just having a confidence problem and i just shouldnt worry and im doing fine but i dont think thats it.

So i just wanna know if theres anything you guys know that can help me out?
Last edited by 602guitarist at Jul 25, 2009,
Your dad might be right. Also there's the thing called the learning curve, meaning whenever you learn a new style per chance or even a new technique, your level will drop to an extent to overcome the new barrier. Also, its a mindf***... you havent actually lost the ability, it just feels like it due to learning something new or stagnation in what you are doing. Once again, your dad might be right
coming back to it after a while is hard, you remember all the cool stuff you could do and now you cant do it as cleanly, give it time. what kinda stuff are you struggling with now?
I know a feeling something a little alike that...

Well, basically after listening to something from these guitar virtuosoes live, or someone playing a cover really well... It just strikes me how bad I am and how long there is to get to a stage where playing acually sounds good.
Incarnation of awesomeness on earth.
Confidence can really hinder you. What you can do in your room, can't always come out on stage unless you feel just as comfortable.

WHen you see friends ask to play stuff for them. Upload some MP3s on UG and ask for critique. Just get yourself out there a little more and your confidence will raise. I've got **** confidence, I walk onto stage literally shaking, but I'll keep my eye on the singer and imagine its me and them in my room for another jam. It's much easier that way.
Quote by ROHG
I know a feeling something a little alike that...

Well, basically after listening to something from these guitar virtuosoes live, or someone playing a cover really well... It just strikes me how bad I am and how long there is to get to a stage where playing acually sounds good.

It's the other way around for me. If I listen to some crazy shred it makes me believe that playing like that is possible, and it's been done before. It gives me confidence and tells me that if they can do it, why can't I? And that's how it's been for me for the past 11 years playing guitar. Remember, outside our guitarists community, even playing 4 chords will sound good to the untrained ear.

TO TS: You have nobody to prove your worth to, except yourself. You may have been able to play better before, and it's only a short while till you get to that level again. It is your mind playing with you, telling you that your fingers are rusty because you didn't play for a while. Here's my advice: Just pick up the guitar and play. If your mind doesn't stop f*ckin around, muscle memory will take over.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.