Page 1 of 3
UG, Ive been searching for a bridge puppy to replace my Duncan Designed Detonator for some time now. But it seems as soon as I find a pickup with what I want (see below) It just sucks on cleans. Can you help me find a versatile Humbucker.

Needs-
Very High Output, 400 as a bare minimum
To play Vintage(ish) metal such as: Metallica, Judas Priest, Quiet Riot, Sabbath, Saxon, etc. along with modern Industrial and Alternative Metal like: Rammstein, Three Days Grace, Papa Roach, Trapt, Disturbed, etc.
Awesome Distortion with At least decent cleans
Budget- Hell id be willing to pay $200 for this. (But less is way better for my pocket book)

Ill be upgarding to a B52 AT112 or 212 soon so thats what amp I'll be playing.
My Guitar is made of Alder if it helps.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 25, 2009,
Look into Bareknuckle Pickups, in particular the warpig humbucker.

It's a very high output pickup (the ceramic model in particular), but I've seen them used for jazz several times as well, so the cleans are pretty good.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
through a cube? not much point, get a nice amp first. good pickups only really come to life when played through an amp that does them justice.

Edit: BKPs are amazingly awesome but not easy to get outside the UK i think (correct me if im wrong)
Quote by stephen_rettie
through a cube? not much point, get a nice amp first. good pickups only really come to life when played through an amp that does them justice.

Edit: BKPs are amazingly awesome but not easy to get outside the UK i think (correct me if im wrong)

See OP
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by stephen_rettie

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/dealer.html

I don't think you can get them direct from bareknuckle outside the UK, but they are still readily available if you have the money.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I think if there was one pickup that did everything well then everyone would use it. As long as you have a neck pickup that is good on cleans your fine. I have a dimarzio X2N which is the hottest pickup dimarzio makes. Through my amp it sounds very defined and clear when distorted and it has a nice glassy feel when I use it for cleans. I use a seymour duncan jazz in the neck for my cleans most of the time but the X2n is pretty versatile when used correctly. Alot of people say its muddy and it can be if your not using it properly but if you eq it right and use it properly it sounds amazing and will do glassy cleans. That or an EMG 81TW which cleans up fairly well as a single coil.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Did some research and couldnt find the Ceramic version, only the one with the Alinco V.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Generally when you order the pickups direct from bareknuckle, they give you the option of which magnet you want, but I guess the ceramic version may be slightly harder to come by in the USA. Your best bet may be to give your nearest dealer a call to see if they can order one in. The alnico v model is still a fairly powerful pickup though.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
WCR Icebucker
Dimarzio D-sonic
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
'Versatile' and 'high gain' doesn't happen in a single pickup.

If you want versatility, get a low or medium output pickup and then use overdrive boost pedals to increase output if your amp's own distortion is not enough, or replace the amp and pickup distortion entirely with a dedicated distortion pedal.
If you want high output, you have to be aware you're going to get, at best, cleans that are still below average.

There is absolutely no such thing as a pickup, guitar, pedal or amp that can do everything, you're always going to have to sacrifice something. Think long and hard about what aspects are the most vital to you, then adjust your rig for that and you'll just have to accept that you might not be able to get good cleans/hard distortion without pedals. At the end of it all, it's better to have one tone mastered than it is to have gear that does half-arsed jobs of a few different tones.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
'Versatile' and 'high gain' doesn't happen in a single pickup.

If you want versatility, get a low or medium output pickup and then use overdrive boost pedals to increase output if your amp's own distortion is not enough, or replace the amp and pickup distortion entirely with a dedicated distortion pedal.
If you want high output, you have to be aware you're going to get, at best, cleans that are still below average.

There is absolutely no such thing as a pickup, guitar, pedal or amp that can do everything, you're always going to have to sacrifice something. Think long and hard about what aspects are the most vital to you, then adjust your rig for that and you'll just have to accept that you might not be able to get good cleans/hard distortion without pedals. At the end of it all, it's better to have one tone mastered than it is to have gear that does half-arsed jobs of a few different tones.

+1

What pickup do you have in your neck position TS?
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
^Currently a Duncan Designed Detonator, Poor cleans and even worse under distortion. Thats why im replacing it with a DiMarzio Air Norton.

and BTW, just about any cleans are a step up from my Detonators, Im not looking for perfect cleans to match the distortion, I just want something decent.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 25, 2009,
Think about some coil tappage, usually helps get some classic clean sounds. Just my two cents.
Ive heard people talking about coil tapping before, I just have absolutely no clue what the hell it is
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Coil tapping is where you reduce how many of the windings in a singlecoil are being used. This lowers the output and gives a bright, cleaner tone. It requires special wiring that many singlecoils don't come with any more as coil taps aren't very popular features.

Coil splitting is when you take a humbucker pickup and electronically remove one of the coils in the humbucker form the circuit, effectively turning it into a singlecoil pickup. This is a very popular mod and usually these days when someone says 'coil tap' what they really mean is 'coil split' - to be honest I don't know why people started getting the two terms confused, but there you go. Most humbuckers and be split, though there are a few models still being made that don't have the necessary wiring to split them.
However, there is more to a coil split than just this. When you split a normal humbucker, it will technically be a single coil pickup but that doesn't mean it will sound like a true singlecoil. This is because a real singlecoil pickup is made with separate magnetic pole pieces under each string, whereas humbuckers are typically made with bar magnets. This means humbuckers that are split tend to sound more like a P-90 singlecoil pickup than a more typical Strat or Telecaster style singlecoil.
There are, however, two humbucker pickups that are made specifically to be split; the Seymour Duncan Stag Mag and the Swineshead AMP humbucker (there may be others, but I've been searching for a few years and these are the only two I've ever found). These humbuckers aren't made with bar magnets, but instead are made with separate magnetic pole pieces, just like singlecoils are. This means when these two humbuckers are split, they sound exactly like 'real' singlecoils. The offset of this is that in full humbucking mode, their tone isn't quite as 'powerful' as a normal bar magnet humbucker is. Personally I actually prefer this, it means even in humbucker mode it still retains a lot of clarity.

There is also series/parallel wiring. Series wiring is how humbuckers are normally wired - it's the normal humbucker tone you know. Parallel wiring is slightly different and is more like the tone Strats have when you put their bridge and middle pickups on at the same time, or the neck and middle. It gives better clarity and a cleaner tone, at the cost of a big drop in output - there is even more of a drop in output when switching to parallel wiring than there is when splitting a humbucker. The big advantage of using parallel wiring over a split is that when you split a humbucker, it starts to suffer from the same noise and hum problems a singlecoil does; but when you put a humbucker in parallel, it remains humbucking. So you get a brighter, cleaner tone but still remain noiseless.

Then of course there's things like stacked singlecoils, quadrail humbuckers, stacked P-90s and all sorts of others, but that's a whole different level of speciality products.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Coil tapping is lowering the output of a humbucker to make it sound more like a single, I believe.

EDIT: Damn, mega beaten to it.

I believe there is a guy somewhere on here that makes custom wound pickups. Someone should have more info.

Here's his website: http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/

Not sure if he ships US.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Last edited by SupremeACL at Jul 25, 2009,
unless you cant get enough gain with the gain knob on your amp maxed, there is no point in getting a high output for versitility. however, from the looks of your list, versitility isnt really a concern. ive always liked the dimarzio tone zone for metal. the prs tremonti and SD JB are also good bets.
Interesting never knew there was a difference in coil tapping and splitting, good to know.
EMG 81TW/89 are both coil tappable, you play them in humbucker mode and if you pull on the volume nobs the sound becomes thinner into a single coil for more country/blues stuff.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Coil splitting was going to be my suggestion too. I've got a guitar with some stacked hums that I can split and it increases the versatility too. Gives you a twang or a scream for whatever your playing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Coil splitting is not the answer. It rarely sounds as good as it's advertised.

just get a medium output pickup that can cover a lot of styles. I will reiterate pickups wound in the 10k-13k range with A5s like the WCR Fillmores and Seymour Duncan Brobuckers.
^Works like a charm for me. Maybe that's a different scenario because it's coil tapped stacked hums?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Stacked pickups do split better than regular humbuckers, as stacked pickups tend to be made more like original singlecoils (magnetic pole pieces instead of bar magnets), and also because a stacked singlecoil humbucking pickup can be in exactly the right place under the string while a regular humbucker of course covers a wider area of the string and won't be in the same place as a normal singlecoil would be.

Basically coil splits are great if you have specific pickups but for most humbuckers it's smarter to either use series/parallel switching, or to set everything up for a good clean tone then use an overdrive boost pedal for more gain or just use a dedicated distortion pedal.
Quote by al112987
Coil splitting is not the answer. It rarely sounds as good as it's advertised.

just get a medium output pickup that can cover a lot of styles. I will reiterate pickups wound in the 10k-13k range with A5s like the WCR Fillmores and Seymour Duncan Brobuckers.

actually i think coil splitting is very useful. you cant give an emg good cleans with coil split but i couldnt live without it on my prs custom 22.
Use the neck pickup for cleans. If the neck pickup sucks too, replace it also.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by no_thing101
actually i think coil splitting is very useful. you cant give an emg good cleans with coil split but i couldnt live without it on my prs custom 22.
I've tried it and never liked it. Along with several other mods, I found that I rarely ever used it (I tried the whole Jimmy Page wiring setup and only ever used the phase switch). A good low to medium output pickup will give you a nice bright, single coil like cut and top end if run through a good amp. Listen to Jimmy Page's clean tone on OTHAFA from TSRTS, you'd swear that he's using single coils or P90s for his clean tones but really it's just a PAF with the volume rolled down a little bit on his guitar and it doesn't have that weak, thin tone that a split humbucker would give you.

In today's world with high gain amps, it's really not necessary to have a really high output pickup anymore. This isn't the '70s and '80s where guys had a super distortion or JB to push the front end of their single channel, JCM800s. I think the best example of this is listening to the pickup shootout that James Lugo did that was posted on some other guitar forums where he ran a ton of different pickups through a ton of different amps, an 8.5k PAF style A5 wind will get you anywhere from country to blues to hard rock to metal. Low output pickups can be incredibly versatile, they're clearer, brighter, and have more detail, especially PAF style pickups wound with the right materials.

Here is the link to the shootout clips
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=950856&content=music

Listen to them with a set of good headphones though, otherwise it can be hard to differentiate between some of the pickups, and they're played through a modded Marshall (Brown Eye mod), Germino Classic 45 (JTM45), Fender Deluxe Reverb, hot rodded Marshall (Hairy Brown Eye mod) and a Diezel Herbert. (Seriously listen to that WCR Godwood and tell me it doesn't sound great for all the styles played)
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 26, 2009,
I got a Dimebucker in my Dean Z and it screams! Roll down the vol a lil and it gets some nice crunch to it. I love it, i think its rated at 16.2 or something like that. But My Z is made outta mahogany so I don't know about alder!
Bridge: Dimarzio D-Sonic (Splittable, EXCELLENT DISTORTION, moderate cleans)
Neck: Dimarzio Air Norton (it complements the d-sonic perfectly, GODLY cleans)

If you're interested listen some clips, google some reviews or something
Good Luck
Quote by al112987
I came across this a few days ago when I was looking for some Rebel Yell clips. It really goes to show what little effect pickups have on distorted tones unless you're talking about really extreme changes in design. Makes you wonder why anyone bothers with high output pickups at all.
Quote by Sonny_sam
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/dealer.html

I don't think you can get them direct from bareknuckle outside the UK, but they are still readily available if you have the money.

they ship worldwide with their online shop, so its pretty easy to get them outside uk
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard