Hello,

I started on an acoustic guitar (Stagg, €160/$227) just before the beginning of Summer, and I'm progressing very fast according to my Dad who plays guitar himself, and I am able to play quite a large (for the length I've been playing) number of songs, and have got to the stage where I can change chords smoothly and swiftly easily enough about a week ago.

As many of you here will understand, I want to play electric guitar.

I have thought myself how to play the guitar, I'm able to read both tab and sheet music, and I have a good understanding of music.

I intend to try and get an electric guitar around Christmas this year, and I haven't been told a budget as such, but I think I know where I stand ( ).

Any recommendations as to what I should invest in?

Thanks.
You can really narrow down your options if you figure out what genre of music you play the most or prefer.
LARGE TEXT
Ibanez SA series are quite nice for the cost.
They look good and sound great, and most come with a sweet coil tap in the bridge humbucker.
Ibanez Rg321mh
or as suggested, the Yamaha Pacificas are great starter guitars.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
You could get an Ibanez RG 350, it's around that price, I think. Or a Yamaha Pacifica as some people have already said, they're great for beginners, and let's just say that, for the price they're sold at, they're AWESOME guitars.
Pacifica 112v +1, but I'm biased :P
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
Quote by splamron
Ibanez Rg321mh
I had one of these and it was the worst guitar I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

Anyhoo, Yamaha Pacifica, Vintage.. I've forgotten the model number, but the Vintage Strat copy with the stacked P-90s. Job done.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Sorry, I really should have mentioned. I don't want to be tied down to the one genre, but hard rock would be my preference. Of course theres the exceptions, especially Oasis.

I want humbuckers over single coil. Having played on both, I just love the heavier sound.

I would also prefer if its a "real" guitar. As in, not some cheap rip off of a popular guitar.

Any more advice? Thank you to the people above.
Get either a Yamaha pacifica, a squier cv strat, a vintage v100, or a epiphone g-400.
One way of putting it, would be to say I want the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club sound.

Don't know if many of you are familiar with it, but you'd definitely get them on Youtube.
Quote by McCarthySFC
One way of putting it, would be to say I want the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club sound.

Don't know if many of you are familiar with it, but you'd definitely get them on Youtube.

The amp you decide would make the bigger impact on the tone that you are looking for.
To be honest, amps weren't something I've taken into account. Lets say I have a $400 overall budget, how would you recommend splitting it between the amp and the guitar itself?
Quote by McCarthySFC
To be honest, amps weren't something I've taken into account. Lets say I have a $400 overall budget, how would you recommend splitting it between the amp and the guitar itself?

IMO you should go 50/50 with the guitar and amp so you could have a decent guitar and a good amp, much better than a good guitar running through a bad amp.
I'll go for Yamaha Pacifica aswell. Absolutely brilliant for the money, and whenever someone else plays mine, they love it.
Quote by McCarthySFC
Slight problem, I'd have to get that shipped to Ireland, which would probably up the cost quite a lot.

I've been having a look at this ( http://www.tradetang.com/seller-products/0-20-bestT0-1/104999.html ) and he seems to offer the real thing at a low price.

You guys would be way more informed on this than me, so is something a bit off with the incredibly low prices?

They are super duper fake
Finally, do you think I save money by buying online? Including the amount I will have to pay to get it shipped to Dublin.

Thanks for all your help.
Quote by McCarthySFC
Finally, do you think I save money by buying online? Including the amount I will have to pay to get it shipped to Dublin.

Thanks for all your help.

You will always save online, unless if you have a local shop.
What do you mean by local? If I drive for about an hour it brings me to my nearest specialized guitar shop, but it isn't any cheaper than any other shop.
Quote by McCarthySFC
What do you mean by local? If I drive for about an hour it brings me to my nearest specialized guitar shop, but it isn't any cheaper than any other shop.

By local shop, I mean a shop that is only 15 minutes at the most away.
But can I ask, whats the difference? I don't mind driving a few hours if it can save me one hundred bucks.

Do you know if SX make a good elec guitar? My nearest sell loads of them.
Quote by McCarthySFC
But can I ask, whats the difference? I don't mind driving a few hours if it can save me one hundred bucks.

Do you know if SX make a good elec guitar? My nearest sell loads of them.

SX is alright, you have to upgrade them a lot though. Your best bet is just get the Vintage V100, best bang for the buck IMO. Also you would not save $100 on the same guitar if it is at the store or online (online is mostly always cheaper) unless shipping is ridiculous.
End of the day, if you go to a local shop you're going to be able to play the guitar first, rather than get one off the net..
will your dad let you play his guitar(s)? if he will, that'll give you more time to save up, and more time to determine which styles of guitars, amps etc. you really like. Unless you have a specific reason for needing your own personal guitar (say you want to bring it to school, or you want to join/start a band, or something like that).

EDIT: oh, did you make the thread about the lags too?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
I had one of these and it was the worst guitar I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

Many people say they are good, what was so bad at your Rg321?