Hey guys, so i found an old tube amplifier collecting dust in my boss' bathroom the other day, so i decided to take it home to try it out (its an electrohome pa-300). Anyway, i have the terrible line 6 spider III, and a boss gt-10 pedal, and for the longest time ive been using the gt-10 as the preamp, and bypasing the Spider's preamp and using it just as a power amp. I was getting decent tones, but couldnt seem to get rid of the square sounding midrange, and cluttered highs. However, i plugged the gt-10 into the tube amp, using the spider as a speaker cab, and WOW! i had a beautiful blend between the warm, musical tube sound, and flexibilitty of the gt-10. Although its still missing the dyanmics you would expect from an all tube amp, and is just short of being able to keep up with a drummer, it still sounded beautiful for a 35 year old amplifier.

I am just curious if anyone else here has plugged in their modeller into a tube power amp with similar results? and does anyone know of any cheap tube power amps that would be worth getting? maybe just a few hundred dollars. And lastly, since the amp i used was so old, would a modern power amp lose some of the characteristics i am looking for, and sound sort of modernized if you know what i mean?
What amp were you using it on?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
i was running the tube amp's output into the spider's speaker, just with regular speaker wire, so the spider was turned completely off.
So you just liberated it from your boss's bathroom? Nice. What does the amp sound like just as an amp? The tubes'll need replacing, that's for sure.
theres one guy on here who owns an XT live and an epiphone valve junior. he loves the combination. when i get a tube amp, i'll probably try doing this too.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
So you just liberated it from your boss's bathroom? Nice. What does the amp sound like just as an amp? The tubes'll need replacing, that's for sure.

haha i didnt just take it, i asked him and he said he wanted 60 bucks for it. I havent payed yet, but i may just integrate it into the spiders cab somehow, replacing the electronics.
When I run the guitar into it by itself, it does have that old vintage sound, but its incredibly warm and dynamic. I can actually get nice overdrive if i turn the volume up high enough. If anyone is into collecting old amplifiers, I will be willing to sell it if i end up buying it from my boss.
yea ive done a bit of research on atomic amps, but for now the're a bit too expensive. As well, it is a full range system, which i am assuming means i will have to use the cabinet modelling on my gt-10 which i dont really care for.
Quote by eric1123
yea ive done a bit of research on atomic amps, but for now the're a bit too expensive. As well, it is a full range system, which i am assuming means i will have to use the cabinet modelling on my gt-10 which i dont really care for.

Nope, it's not a full range system, it's voiced for guitar
so basically youre doing something like this?

guitar->gt10->power amp->spider speakers?

if so, stuff like that's pretty common, but thats cool you got it to work well.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Nope, it's not a full range system, it's voiced for guitar

sguit, i found this in the atomic amp's owners manual:

"The Atomic Reactor is a full range system, its special loudspeakers can handle frequencies up to 18 KHz, which is the same as a normal PA system"

haha robin, i was taking a leak ok? geez
Quote by eric1123
Hey guys, so i found an old tube amplifier collecting dust in my boss' bathroom the other day, so i decided to take it home to try it out (its an electrohome pa-300). Anyway, i have the terrible line 6 spider III, and a boss gt-10 pedal, and for the longest time ive been using the gt-10 as the preamp, and bypasing the Spider's preamp and using it just as a power amp. I was getting decent tones, but couldnt seem to get rid of the square sounding midrange, and cluttered highs. However, i plugged the gt-10 into the tube amp, using the spider as a speaker cab, and WOW! i had a beautiful blend between the warm, musical tube sound, and flexibilitty of the gt-10. Although its still missing the dyanmics you would expect from an all tube amp, and is just short of being able to keep up with a drummer, it still sounded beautiful for a 35 year old amplifier.

I am just curious if anyone else here has plugged in their modeller into a tube power amp with similar results? and does anyone know of any cheap tube power amps that would be worth getting? maybe just a few hundred dollars. And lastly, since the amp i used was so old, would a modern power amp lose some of the characteristics i am looking for, and sound sort of modernized if you know what i mean?

If you're are talking about plugging in a nice multi FX into the power amp section of a tube amp? then yes. I did it with my podxt and i do it now with my prophecy II preamp/multi fx
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks