Hey guys, tell me what you think about this: My guitar's paint is all off, and im going to draw on it with the uni posca paint pens. My question is though, will the pens be able to work on the wood? In other words, do i have to paint the guitar first with the spray cans and then draw on it? or can I just start using the pens to draw my design without a base of spray paint? I hope this makes sense lol.

Thanks a lot,

-Drew
thats the thing though, shinoda's guitar is finished and everything ya know? I'm wondering if I could just start using the pens on the wood without there being paint or lacquer and what not on the guitar. Btw, If any of you know the band Gallows, Im planning on drawing/painting the artwork from their debut, Orchestra of Wolves.
Quote by ipunchcouches
Hey guys, tell me what you think about this: My guitar's paint is all off, and im going to draw on it with the uni posca paint pens. My question is though, will the pens be able to work on the wood? In other words, do i have to paint the guitar first with the spray cans and then draw on it? or can I just start using the pens to draw my design without a base of spray paint? I hope this makes sense lol.

Thanks a lot,

-Drew
That's actually a pretty good, inexpensive brand ... If you're refinishing a guitar from scratch, go through the proper process, primer, colorcoat/basecoat, pen design, clearcoat, etc.

If you're adding a design, it's a good idea to scuff sand the glossy area (clearcoat) first. This will ensure that your paint pen will adhere properly. Then, top with Acrylic clearcoat, to make it consistent.

I prefer the Sharpie Paint markers, slightly more expensive but the colors are more intense.

For paint markers...you should check out decocolors...very vibrant and consistent. Used them for graffiti alot.
Thanks guys....can someone give me the ideal process in like a step by step form? (I really dont feel like searching through 75 pages of the official painting thread)

My guitar is just wood right now, no paint, no nothing. Im putting on some wood filler tomorrow, let it dry, sand again, and then ill be good to go. But can someone please give me the step by step process to doing all of this? thank you very much.

-Drew