i'm looking for a new electric guitar amp. $500 is max budget and i'm looking for something 30-60 watts. I have an ibanez rga121 with an unknown gibson neck pu and a semour-duncan bridge pu. i like classic rock solos so it has to have a good clean/ light distortion, but i also want to get into faster metal. i have a boss metalzone mt-2 pedal. do i need a tube amp, and what are the advantages of those??
thanks a lot guys!
Yes, a tube amp would be more appropriate for you.

Considering you want metal and classic rock, a good choice would be a B-52 AT112.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Jul 25, 2009,
tube amps sound better, and require a little more maintenance. so what do you play more of, classic rock or metal? because the MT-2 is gonna be shiote compared to a good amp distortion
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
tube amps sound better, and require a little more maintenance. so what do you play more of, classic rock or metal? because the MT-2 is gonna be shiote compared to a good amp distortion

Not always, I've played SS amps that sound fairly better than tube amps in that range
Yep, that's true.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
tube amps sound better, and require a little more maintenance. so what do you play more of, classic rock or metal?

both are equally weighted. i want a good classic sound but i also want a kick ass fight a midget mind blowing distortion
But TS, if you're not gigging, I suggest a Blackstar HT-5

Best amp ever, and the 5 wattage is convenient. Tube amps are generally louder and trust me, this amp can take a drummer.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5H-and-HT110-Guitar-Mini-Half-Stack?sku=489746

It also comes in combo from.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by oneblackened
Not always, I've played SS amps that sound fairly better than tube amps in that range
Yep, that's true.

yeah sorry, i was out of it when i wrote that, i should have added the "disclaimer". but yeah, at your price range, tube is the way to go a lot of the time.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.