so i got my fulltone OCD last night, which i bought because i wanted to get heavier overdrive out of my blackstar ht5.

i tried various combinations of gain on the amp and pedal. so far, the best settings i have found for the pedal are tone maxed, gain 0, and volume maxed, with amp gain at half

i ask is this is a waste of this 160$ OD pedal, because i am not using the drive on it at all. i used to have the gain on the amp maxed with a gain boost from my MXR108, and it doesn't sound too different then the half gain/full volume combo im on now.

is there a rule of thumb when using an OD pedal and a tube amp that i should be following? i was really trying to get a dirtier sound out of my amp. when i tried various combinations of pedal gain/amp gain earlier, i either got a sound that was not as good as just the amp, or that was outright muddy*.

*the muddy tone was with high gain on both the pedal and amp, so its understandable.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Jul 25, 2009,
Na thats good for a tube amp it will put it into natural od thats what i do with my keeley blues driver
so thats what your supposed to do?

in that case, wouldn't it be better to get a boost pedal and save some money?
Yeah thats what most people do with OD pedals and tube amps. Thats why I bought a dano cool cat drive (OCD clone) for 40 bucks rather than wasting 200 bucks lol.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
should i return the OCD and buy a boost pedal for like half the price?

i know the OCDs are supposed to be flawless, but if im only using it as a clean boost really, wouldn't a clean boost pedal do the exact same thing?

edit: !@#% it, im returning it. ill get a boost pedal for like half the price. i can get the same tone without spending 160$
OCD's are more meant to be used on there own. Honestly, I would return it and get a cheaper pedal that could do the same thing your having it do right now.
The thing is, if you get a cheap and nasty boost, you run the risk of degrading your tone or colouring it. The OCD is pretty transparent, if memory serves me correct. But if it bothers you that much, try some boosts.

I use my TS9 in quite a similar way, but with a bit of the gain, maybe 4-5. Seems to work great with my amp.

Oh, I don't really know the layout of your amp, but if you're in the effects chain, try switching it to the front of the amp.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Well, the OCD does have a hell of a clean boost... like 32 decibels or something. I'm not sure most other "boost" pedals have that much. I'd just keep it if you like the tone. It's only a waste of money if you can't get a good sound out of it, IMO.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The OCD is really known for its ability to drive an amp hard without coloring the tone much or at all. Unless you are a tone purist something cheaper would probably do you just fine, but if you are then keep it.
i get 99% the same sound with just my MXR108s gain/vol controls.

im just gonna return it. i had the same sound without the OCD.
Wow, I like my drive maxed, i think it makes a lovely sound
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
on the clean channel it is alright. but i wanted a dirtier lead channel
Are you using the hp or lp?? And it doesn't matter how you USE it if you love the sound.
If I'm understanding this, you have been using the MXR for your gain/boost/whatever, and you bought an OCD but you get the same sound as with the MXR?

Unless you can find another sound you like out of it, I'd say return it, why have two separate pedals for the same sound?
I have a huge fear if rays.
exactly. i got the OCD because i made a thread here asking for recommendations for on OD pedal to get a dirtier sound out of my amp. i got a nearly unanimous vote for the OCD.

exactly, why have 2 pedals for the same sound. i am going to return it. kinda disappointed. but i suppose its not all bad; i get to keep 160$ maybe.

i also got the tech21 rvb last night, which has a 9db clean boost on it as well. i might not even need another pedal between the MXR108 and it.
Quote by SpeedLives
exactly. i got the OCD because i made a thread here asking for recommendations for on OD pedal to get a dirtier sound out of my amp. i got a nearly unanimous vote for the OCD.

exactly, why have 2 pedals for the same sound. i am going to return it. kinda disappointed. but i suppose its not all bad; i get to keep 160$ maybe.

i also got the tech21 rvb last night, which has a 9db clean boost on it as well. i might not even need another pedal between the MXR108 and it.

How long have you had it?? have you tried to use it to boost another pedal?? Or use another pedals to boost it. it's an amazing pedal don't give up on it so soon......give it a chance...........But it sound to me you would be better suited with a Crunchbox.
Quote by SpeedLives

Never buy things based off recommendations here. Recs are more like guidelines to check things out.

That said, that's not a bad pedal. I've never used it because I don't have use for something like that so I've no comment on anything other than build quality and reputation.

If you want a boost, though, there are tons of transparent, high output boosts around. Though I don't exactly know why you'd want to run a transparent boost unless you're just aiming for a solo boost. Also, since you're using an HT-5, it has boost functions built into it, right? Having a boost that changes the EQ curve of your signal is not a bad thing.