Page 1 of 2
If you weren't playing your main genre of music in a band, what genre would you be playing?

If I wasn't playing punk for some reason, I would be playing thrash, or to be more unique, "guitar techno."

*by the way, if there is already a thread about this, my bad.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
i would be playing classic guitar if i wasn't playing heavy metal
i scream for ice cream
if i wasnt playing thrash, probably more mainstream rock like u2 or foo fighters, or even somethin more acoustically oriented
I don't limit myself, so there's nothing I don't already play in my band.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Im currently trying to incorporate some jazz into my thrash band, most preferable on the bassists side of things, i'm just starting to learn some jazz so once i get some skill in that genre then ill mix it up a bit in my main genre
Quote by 7stringusr
+99999999999999999999999999999999

Guitars

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
"Jackson Warrior" (still needs funding)

Amplol

Crate GT65

Pedals

Vox Satchurator
Cry Baby
Phraser

My Last.fm

Fallout 3 Data
I don't have a "main genre". You shouldn't either.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
probably blues or reggae.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Well, I learned guitar thru thrash metal methods (lighting fast down picking, palm mutes, power chords, etc.) and am now in a classic hard rock/heavy metal band and its goin pretty swell.
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
What is in my head. I dial what's in there back for the GP. Something on the order of Frank Zappa's, "G-Spot Tornado".
If I wasn't playing melodic death I would like to play grooveish/thrash metal.

OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL
BLACK METAL
DOOM METAL
BRUTAL DEATH METAL
GRIND
Ha, I'm already not playing my main genre in my band... >_> we're playing mainstream rock (think RHCP, Nickelback etc).

I would rather be playing Prog Rock/Metal such as Genesis, Dream Theater, Symphony X etc, but my bandmates are either not interested or not talented enough .
If i wasnt playing tech metal, id be totally down with down some mad Test Icicles-esque dance punk shiz.
if i wasnt playing bluesy southern rock (think allman brothers/widespread panic type jam stuff) i would probably be playing something along the lines of ben harper, or maybe ska
i play lots of different stuff, so i guess i can't really answer that.
i suppose i would be playing my xbox instead :P
Quote by AlanHB
I don't have a "main genre". You shouldn't either.

I think just because you and I don't have "main genres" doesn't mean no one should. Some people just aren't inspired by other types of music. I don't think it's necessary for anyone to force himself to listen to more music just for the sake of being eclectic.
Quote by werty22
I think just because you and I don't have "main genres" doesn't mean no one should. Some people just aren't inspired by other types of music. I don't think it's necessary for anyone to force himself to listen to more music just for the sake of being eclectic.

Ok, I'll change.

My real answer:
If I wasn't playing <generic distorted genre> I would be playing <generic distorted genre>. Though nobody could tell if I changed
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
If I didn't play punk, i'd be playing garage rock or indie. Maybe even jazz.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I'm actually looking to join a Pop-Punk/Emo/Post-Hardcore band right now (I usually play either Metal or Jazz). I want to combine my Jazz influence with the Pop-Punk/Emo sound.
ESP Viper 1000 Deluxe

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
ValveKing 4x12 Cab

ISP Decimator
Boss AC-2
Ibanez TS-7
If I wasn't playing blues, I'd probably be playing classic rock, reggae, or bluegrass/folk (which is fitting b/c I'm playing in a bluegrass/folk band now, haha).
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
I haven't picked a "main genre" yet. Right now half of the stuff I write are acoustic alternative rock type songs, the other half is grindcore. I feel more comfortable playing grindcore, plus it's more fun for me to play. But my friends tell me that writing acoustic songs is where I really shine. So I'm still pretty much torn. Eh..
Ambient techno electronic trip-hop stuff. Like Ulrich Schnauss, Massive Attack, Portishead...that sort of thing.
If I weren't playing thrash, I'd play progressive, blues, jazz, acoustic, death, ska, funk even. I just hate techno and all that crap so bad. As long as it doesn't go through a computer 17 thousand times, I'll play it.
Well I play everything. But if I wasn't in a Hard Rock/Early Heavy Metal band, I would probably be playing Metal-core or Foo Fighters, U2 esq Alt Rock.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
if not metalcore/hardcore, I'd be playing alternative soft rock (think JET and Kaddisfly)
Eh its hard to say. I tend to flip between different genres for different songs. eg, Acid Rock, Jazz Fusion, Hard Rock, Classical, Prog Rock, Alt Rock, etc... I don't think I could play just one genre.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by HeavyReverb
Eh its hard to say. I tend to flip between different genres for different songs. eg, Acid Rock, Jazz Fusion, Hard Rock, Classical, Prog Rock, Alt Rock, etc... I don't think I could play just one genre.

Don't make it seem like a lot more than it is. It is basically Jazz, Classical, and Rock.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
If I weren't playing thrash, I'd play progressive, blues, jazz, acoustic, death, ska, funk even. I just hate techno and all that crap so bad. As long as it doesn't go through a computer 17 thousand times, I'll play it.

Assuming by 'techno and all that crap' you mean any music of a primarily electronic sound/origin and not just the techno genre*, I really doubt you have any inkling of just how vast and diverse the music you've just swept aside is.

From stuff so ambient that you would barely notice it wasn't just the noise of your breathing in an empty room to stuff so intense that you can barely deal with it even off your face in a club, from so minimalist that there's just organ and drums to so lush that it has almost a hundred overdubs**, from stuff that's just weird noises to stuff that is essentially (say) jazz or rock preformed electronically...and literally everything in between...there's so much stuff out there.

I'm not saying you have to like it or even that you would if you checked it all out, but your wording very strongly suggests that you've heard unimaginative, four-to-the-floor dance music pumping out the bass speakers of cars as they go past and assumed that anything a computer touches sounds like that.

OT - pretty much the only style of music I enjoy that I don't really try and work into music I write is (non-instrumental) hip-hop, but I would have to figure out how to make my voice not sound ridiculous when I rapped to do that, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

*which is itself fairly wide:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno

**Not an exaggeration:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enya
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Damascus at Jul 28, 2009,
Id play blues garage rock stuff
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
I'm playing bluesy, garage rock/hard rock. and I'd probably be playing straight up blues or thrash.
I play indie.

If I didn't I'd play post-hardcore or pop punk.
***Short Sig***
Quote by herman ri2
Don't make it seem like a lot more than it is. It is basically Jazz, Classical, and Rock.

there are subgenres for a reason, sure they can get ridiculous but if you say "rock" then that would mean everything from Jack johnson to Pink Floyd to Blink 182. I consider all three completely different types of music dont you?
If I wasn't playing ska punk I'd love to play hardcore, classic rock, or prog rock. Also I am self taught at bad metal guitar and I would love to spend some time learning to rip some blues. oh and Jazz.
I am in a rock band, but more and more it bores the hell out of me. I think eventually I'm gonna be forced to give that up and write folk, acoustic, pop type music.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
Page 1 of 2