Page 1 of 3
I'm been wanting to learn how to play an electric guitar for years and i finally have the time to do it. I love 90's grunge/alternative rock and that's what I aim to learn to play. Everthing from Bush to Collective Soul and everything in between. What would be a good starter pack to get me going? Keep in mind I have no experience playing guitar but taught mself to play thr saxophone pretty well when I was younger. I've been looking at this to start off with. What do you guys think of this package and how far will it take me. Its going for $200 at The Perfect Guitar. Thanks all
http://www.theperfectguitar.com/explore.cfm?STORE=Y&N=116&SN=154&CT=101a&PG=100744101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001809&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y
Last edited by SKOOBEY at Jul 26, 2009,
Links not working, welcome to UG.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

The starter packs tend not to be as good value as buying slightly better equipment seperately. If I was starting to play guitar I would buy a Roland Microcube and a guitar along the same price as a Yamaha 112v which is a decent beginners guitar. It does depend on your budget and what you want though.
im a total noob and not playing in a band anytime soon im not against buying individual pieces of equipment but i like the fact the starter packs apparently have everything i need to learn to play the music i like at home. if i buy seperate parts im not sure what items i need to get right off the bat to learn and my budget is $250. suggestions, links to individual stuff i need? im just looking to get started on an electric. thanks a ton all
personally i don't think $250 would be enough? maybe $300

But the problem is speaking from experiance if you buy cheap stuff you WONT want to play after 2 weeks because your gear is awful it happend to me, played for 2 weeks and got sick it because it felt like a chore
so what should i get as a total noob to play 90's grunge/alternative with a 300 dollar budget. can you provide some links to the equipment. what makes the fender starter packs so bad, the guitar itself, the amp, what? thanks
Craig's List is another great place to look for great deals on used equipment. You'll probably find better quality stuff that will fit your budget.
Gear:
Ibanez RG-350MYE
Squire Affinity Strat

Peavey Vypyr 75 w/Sanperra II
right off the bat i would say guitar choice is what you should focus on something that plays well because if you dont like playing it then you wont be motivated much (happend to me).
I sugest getting a squire strat or telecaster (i have the tele gives you less options for sound and tone compared to the strat but i love the sound it gives plus looks amazing) but for punk the strat is probz the best option try and get a humbucker (big pickup) and two singles usualy refered to HSS.

what you will need is:
a small amp about 10-15w your not looking for amazing sound quality id sugest a roland micro cube line 6 spider (i know people say they suck but they are cheaper than roland and not that bad for begginers)

a tuner something simple will do they are pretty cheap

guitar cable again dont need to spend much

these are the the main things to get but if you have money left over you may wana buy some books and other other stuff like straps and what not
hope this helped
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Quote by SKOOBEY
so what should i get as a total noob to play 90's grunge/alternative with a 300 dollar budget. can you provide some links to the equipment. what makes the fender starter packs so bad, the guitar itself, the amp, what? thanks

the guitar is usualy but they are better if you buy sperate the low range amps from fender suck from what iv read unreliable and not very good for beginers

i wish i got a squire to start with i was stuck with a £60 strat copy the neck was so bent i would get a buzzing noise form the high E string and what not but i still played untill i got £100 for my telecaster the squality was lightyears ahead for just £40 more
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by SKOOBEY

Yeah, steer clear from the starter packs. Usually the guitar is decent, but the amps suck and it's pretty much a scam for beginners to waste their money on.

Also, you're probably going to need more than $300 because of all the tax and accessories you're going to need...

This is what i recommend...

Roland MicroCube
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp-102542180-i1175936.gc

Squier Affinity Strat
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-102545738-i1146349.gc
*Squiers tend to get a lot of heat, but they are actually very solid guitars, especially for beginners!

And probably $100 or so to spend on picks, strap, gig bag, cable, books, or whatever you need.

Good luck!
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
I started with a Squier Affinity Strat 1.5 years ago. I got it used for $150 along with a Fender 15G amp and gigbag. It's been a great guitar. She's straight and clean. Stays in tune beautifully. Great starter set.
Gear:
Ibanez RG-350MYE
Squire Affinity Strat

Peavey Vypyr 75 w/Sanperra II
If you are on a limited budget IMO you have two options:
-1)Get the starter pack but buy a different amp the sp-10 suck schlong.
-2)Buy a used squire and a nice little amp of E-Bay 0r Craigslist.

Happy Hunting!

My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Starter packs are very junky, but you get the basics. If you do get a different guitar/amp separately then you still need to buy a strap, chord, tuner, picks, stands, and a bag. I think you're better off with the pack.
There be no shelter here.
No, dude, you don't get it. They're putting it politely, starter packs are horribly ****. Buy your stuff seperately, NO starter pack I have ever seen has ever been worth it and I've seen a lot. Squier affinitys are horrible and the amps in both of those starter packs are utter ****e.

get something like a Yamaha 112v, and a Roland Microcube, then buy a strap, tuners, picks, etc. That squier setup will last you about a few weeks then you won't be bothered with it because its so crap. get something decent, and you won't regret it.
Quote by SKOOBEY
so nobody makes a descent starter pack? what about stepping up to this one? will this set up last me a while and have descent sound? Thanks
http://www.theperfectguitar.com/explore.cfm?STORE=Y&N=116&SN=154&CT=101a&PG=100335101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001809&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y

Don't worry, you don't need a starter pack! They're just pointless.

Follow my advice ^^^
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
OK, so im looking at a squier affinity strat for 179 and a roland micro cube combo amp
for 130. any other major things i need? is thier a good complete kit that comes with picks, strap, cables, a tutorial and the other stuff i need? i want quality stuff but i would like to keep it at $300. thanks
Quote by SKOOBEY
OK, so im looking at a squier affinity strat for 179 and a roland micro cube combo amp
for 130. any other major things i need? is thier a good complete kit that comes with picks, strap, cables, a tutorial and the other stuff i need? i want quality stuff but i would like to keep it at $300. thanks

Well you kind of need a cable if you want that electric to be .....well.....electric.
Also grab some picks, and personally if you dont plan on taking your guitar anywhere, then thats about it.
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
should i get the affinity fat strat or the standard affinity. they are the same price. i want to be able to play 90's gruge/alternative and some metal. thanks
Quote by SKOOBEY
should i get the affinity fat strat or the standard affinity. they are the same price. i want to learn to play 90's gruge/alternative and some metal. thanks

In that case, get the fat strat. Idk if you know what that means, but basically the pickup configuration in a 'fat' strat is HSS (humbucker-single coil-single coil) and that will give you more versatility, so go for it!
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
I appreciate your help guys. So I am going to go with the affinity fat strat, roland microcube amp, a cable , strap, pics, and a tutorial dvd or book. do i need some kind of electronic guitar tuner or am i good with the above list?
Quote by SKOOBEY
I appreciate your help guys. So I am going to go with the affinity fat strat, roland microcube amp, a cable , strap, pics, and a tutorial dvd or book. do i need some kind of electronic guitar tuner or am i good with the above list?

Way to ignore what I say.
Yes, you should get a tuner. I think there is a Korg tuner for only $20. Also, you don't need to get a tutorial dvd or book. I mean you can, but the internet is going to help you a lot more than one book or dvd
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Royal_Brick
In that case, get the fat strat. Idk if you know what that means, but basically the pickup configuration in a 'fat' strat is HSS (humbucker-single coil-single coil) and that will give you more versatility, so go for it!

basicly what i said earlyer
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888

Quote by MightyAl
i know for the most part you guys hate starter packs. I did some research and found this one that seems to have very good reviews. people say the guitar is a solid instrument that holds up and plays rock well and the amp is pretty good. I can always upgrade the amp down the road if the guitar is worth having for a few years, stays in tune, is versatile and can produce good sound. what do you guys think about the yamaha pack? thanks
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-GigMaker-EG-Electric-Guitar-Pack-516049-i1372111.gc
That amp is ****e. Go with what darkcheef said. save you loads of money. appperantly SX's are better than squier today, even it they arent, its not that much of a difference and your saving money.
That looks like a too good to be true deal and I like yamaha. I have more time than cash right now and im just trying to find a solid rock guitar for a noob that I will enjoy and an OK amp. I'm going to upgrade the amp in a year or so anyway. is the yamaha pacifica 012 as good as the squier affinity fat strat. thanks
Last edited by SKOOBEY at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by SKOOBEY
anybody? before I order anything

Just get the SX strat, cost $80 and has better quality than the affinity.
is the sx strat only avaible online because being a noob I would rather buy from the local Guitar Center store.
Quote by SKOOBEY
is the sx strat only avaible online because being a noob I would rather buy from my local Guitar Center.

Just order it online, they don't have them at stores. And since your a "noob" why would you want to go to guitar center so they could trick you into getting a marshall mg.
If you have a computer, get your self a Line 6 Gear Box but spend your money on a decent starter guitar.
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
Quote by shredmaster12
If you have a computer, get your self a Line 6 Gear Box but spend your money on a decent starter guitar.

Used it and thought it was horrible.
You guys are forgetting the most important expense besides amp, guitar, cable and tuner. A good setup. When you buy a new guitar, it will need to be setup. If you don't get the guitar setup, it'll play like crap and you'll be discouraged from playing. Also about the SX SST, it's a great guitar I've played one and it blows most Squiers away for sure, I also own a SX les paul special clone and it's the best 120 dollar I've ever played. However like every other guitar the SX needed a setup, I did it myself and saved cash but if you are a noob, take it to a pro. Sure it cost like 40 bucks or whatever but it's worth it, the difference between a crap and good setup is like night and day.
BTW heres a link to the SX SST
http://www.rondomusic.com/sstsewhite.html

Also there are plenty more great budget guitar options at Rondomusic.com
Seriously anything at Rondo will destroy typical Squiers
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Page 1 of 3