I want an amp that does 80's type cleans, and by 80's, I mean like David Bowie, Billy Idol, Duran Duran, U2, Queen, Europe, more that type of 80's.

Combo, not REAL heavy, and no more than 30W.
My budget is $500-$1500 MAX

PS: NO JC-120!!! Granted they are good, but its too hard for me to dial in a tone I really like.
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
well it depends on how much you want to spend.

If you want to go really expensive go with a Marshall Silver Jubilee.

If you don't have that kind of cash I suggest:

Vox AC15 (U2)
Vox AC30 (Queen)
Blues Junior (U2) This is a great option if you have a tight budget and it sounds great clean
JTM45/Bassman (Bowie)

I think that Idol and Europe used JCM800 or Jube's
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by M Power
The real key to an 80s clean sound is using some chorus.

+ infinity

I forgot to add that. A boss CE2 will do the trick very well. If you want to shell out a bit extra and really nail it buy a Rockman Stereo Chorus.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Why does everyone obsess over Bassman's I tried it once and it was ****ing horrible. Especially for cleans. Bassman? More like Assman. <-- That reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with the vanity plates. LOL

Anyway, I like Oranges over Marshalls. Theyre easier to dial in (Oranges, not the Marshall's). Just me. I'm hard to please.

Fender Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC30, or possibly that Mesa Express 5:25. Though my GC doesnt have that model anymore.

Also, for the chorus, I am using the Digitech Cr-7 the Hardwire series one. It does the 80's chorus very well.
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
Quote by neptune1988
Why does everyone obsess over Bassman's I tried it once and it was ****ing horrible. Especially for cleans. Bassman? More like Assman. <-- That reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with the vanity plates. LOL

Anyway, I like Oranges over Marshalls. Theyre easier to dial in (Oranges, not the Marshall's). Just me. I'm hard to please.

Fender Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC30, or possibly that Mesa Express 5:25. Though my GC doesnt have that model anymore.

Also, for the chorus, I am using the Digitech Cr-7 the Hardwire series one. It does the 80's chorus very well.
People obsess about it because it sounds incredible.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6530641 <- Tweed Bassman/JTM45 clean tone
http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms2/media/mp3/Anthony4.mp3 <- Bassman/JTM45 overdriven tone

Unless you consider that ****ing horrible.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 26, 2009,
80's clean = light distortion (JCM800?), turn down volume knob on guitar, and use a chorus. any decent low-mid gain amp can get you this effect, so long as you dont attempt to use EMGs.
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Quote by neptune1988
Why does everyone obsess over Bassman's I tried it once and it was ****ing horrible.

It must of been messed up, because a good Bassman sounds delicious.

A Vox AC30 would be good.
A VOX AC30 will do you well.

Also, it's the older Bassmans that one would want, the newer Bassman 250 combo is actually for bass and will sound awful for guitar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by neptune1988

While everything in GG&A is mostly a matter of preference, this whole post makes me want to
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
While everything in GG&A is mostly a matter of preference, this whole post makes me want to

+ 1
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by al112987
People obsess about it because it sounds incredible.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6530641 <- Tweed Bassman/JTM45 clean tone
http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms2/media/mp3/Anthony4.mp3 <- Bassman/JTM45 overdriven tone

Unless you consider that ****ing horrible.

dude, thats some nice playing! the let it be cover is way too relaxing, in a good way!

EDIT: to contribute to the thread, i second the chorus idea. also, delays and reverb. those three pedals were on more often than not during the 80's
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Last edited by phobiafreak949 at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by phobiafreak949
dude, thats some nice playing! the let it be cover is way too relaxing, in a good way!
Unfortunately, it's not mine, I wish I could put together an arrangement like that! It's incredible, I actually listen to it regularly for the sole reason that 1) the playing and arrangement is incredible and 2) the tone is absolutely spectacular. It was recorded by a guy on the Metroamp forum (Rootz), playing through a JTM45 (eg. '59 Bassman with KT66s).
oh, well yea it is some pretty inspiring tone and playing. i've never had the honor of playing through a JTM, but now i'm gonna be on the look out for a good oportunity
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals