I currently have the Epi Paul, and this fall my parents said they'd buy me a Strat. Or, if I sell my Paul, they'll get me a used SG. I have a Classic 30, and will be getting an OCD this month. Tone wise, I'm looking for Gn'R, Wolfmother, that sort of thing. Pretty much just straight up rock n'roll folks. So. What would you guys recomend? The SG, or a Gibson LP is my dream guitar. what to do?
Personally I'd get the strat. More versatility.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Based on what you've said, it's hands down for getting the SG.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
It's up to personal tastes
I would keep the LP and get the Strat, that way you have versatile tones to play around with.

(and if its a plus you have the two of the MOST iconic guitar shapes ever)

If you care more about the feel of the guitar you should play the strat and the SG and weigh the pros and cons.

That and I'm against getting rid of decent guitars it's like getting rid of a piece of yourself (if you love your axe that is )
Get the SG, it fits your music, it's MIA, and it'll make you smile.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
I like SGs, but I think for the money the Hagstrom is a better instrument then the Gibson.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Yeah, I agree with the above man. Don't sell an Epi Paul just for a really good SG.

Have the Strat and Epi, if the strat is good and the Epi is to your liking. I can't find myself to sell either of my main two axes (Gibson Les Paul, Yamaha acoustic) because I love them. Then I hate this 3/4 size guitar which plays and sounds like CRAP but it 'twas my first so I keep it around for sentiment.

If you can honestly see yourself living with the Epi LP gone, then I'd get the SG. If you can see yourself missing it at any way then get the Mexi Strat and have both handy. (always best to have two electrics, in case something happens)
Any more opinions? Thanks guys. And yeah, I keep going back and forth with it.
Well,how does your les paul feel?
Does it feel 'right'?
And the sound? is your les paul getting the right sound?
If it feels 'right' but the sound doesn't match then get a second hand mexi and use the money you saved to upgrade the epi.All three guitars are capable of pulling off those tones you listed,but not without mods.Do you play live? and if so,do you use alternate tunings much? because having two guitars to swap between can be very handy.Personally I would get the strat second hand and eventually modify both of them.Epi's and mexi's are similiar,in that they have decent bodies,but very cheap hardware.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Well,how does your les paul feel?
Does it feel 'right'?
And the sound? is your les paul getting the right sound?
If it feels 'right' but the sound doesn't match then get a second hand mexi and use the money you saved to upgrade the epi.All three guitars are capable of pulling off those tones you listed,but not without mods.Do you play live? and if so,do you use alternate tunings much? because having two guitars to swap between can be very handy.Personally I would get the strat second hand and eventually modify both of them.Epi's and mexi's are similiar,in that they have decent bodies,but very cheap hardware.

Actually recent Epis come with really decent bridges and tuners.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I would keep yor epi and get the strat. For me it is good to have different guitars so you play whichever suits your music or mood.
Keep the epi and buy the mexican strat. You could go to town in upgrading the epi to be just as good as a gibson imo.
Quote by Crizzle
Keep the epi and buy the mexican strat. You could go to town in upgrading the epi to be just as good as a gibson imo.

Geeeeezzzzzz Come on Gibson SG Standard VS MIM Strat. You can mod a mim and have a Very nice Playing and sounding guitar. But it will always be A MIM and always valued that way. The EPI may look like an SG.............but that where it ends. The neck dive alone on a EPI SG was enuff for me to get rid of it. The SG Standard is perfectly balanced sound fantastic and will hold it's value. Crizzle you need to play some more Guitars be for giving advice IMO.
Id Take the strat,but i would say that coz i have one

My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
This thread needs to have a Poll..

I'd go for the SG, for quality and versatility.

But get whatever feels best in your hands bro.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.