I was in my grandmother's garage the other day, and discovered an organ. I checked it to make sure it worked, and it sounded fine. I asked my grandmother about it and she said it would be fine if I took it. I was wondering if learning another instrument would help me with my guitar playing. I've been playing for approximately two years, and have a basic knowledge of musical theory (chord construction, intervals, etc.), and was even able to figure out a couple simple chords and things messing around on the organ. I figured it would probably be useful to learn a second instrument, and I really need to learn how to read sheet music. I'm kind of worried, though, that if I start practicing organ, I'll focus a lot less on practicing guitar. I'm also unsure if organ is the best key instrument to begin with (the multitude of pedals looked a bit intimidating. ). I wondered what you guys thought.

If it matters to anyone, the organ was a Wurlitzer 4300 D. It looked like it was in excellent condition, and it looked pretty vintage too. It seemed like a high quality instrument.
Can it hurt? Not at all.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by ScottElwood
Can it hurt? Not at all.

+1

And, as far as I'm concerned learning piano etc. helps with playing just about every other instrument.
It was the reason I picked up bass and saxophone so quickly.
it will help with theory, and knowledge of scales, chords etc.

but i dont think itll improve your technical abilities.

but the keys (especially the organ) rule, so go learn em!
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by ep1kz
it will help with theory, and knowledge of scales, chords etc.

but i dont think itll improve your technical abilities.

but the keys (especially the organ) rule, so go learn em!

what he said.

most theory teachers will teace you theory on the piano
because of the ways its set up. piano is a great instrument to learn.
i know very little but im trying to get into more.
and like the other post said
it cant hurt.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
GRANTED! NOW YOU COMMIT SUICIDE!

i wish lexanirider didn't have to kill himself.

What's your fastest Super Metroid time?

PM me and let me know.
Well, see, then you'd be learning everything piano then going to guitar and learning everything there too.
Not saying it wouldn't make it easier, I just think that you might find the organ more difficult, or that you might not want to play guitar anymore (only a problem if you spent good money on it) or just the fact that it might just take twice as long.
I guess there's also the whole organs sound awesome thing too.

On the flipside, do you think me playing guitar for two years will help me pick up organ any easier?
I'd love to play keys.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by LordBaxtus

On the flipside, do you think me playing guitar for two years will help me pick up organ any easier?

Yes, because of your knowledge of theory... Theory is for all instruments.
Besides, maybe you can use things you learn on piano for guitar, like tapped chords. That's really cool.

Also, it would be a plus when you learn theory. There are harmony and theory books that are adapted to piano, so it would be easier to understand if you play it.
Last edited by Andrusho at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by LordBaxtus

Maybe with speed and stamina of the hands, but the two are fairly different.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!