So I mentioned this in the chat thread, but I really want some opinions on this.

I've been at a church camp all week with my acoustic. The day we were taking pictures on a stage overlooking the mountains of Colorado I walk over to move my beloved acoustic only to be greeted by the site of a midget girl stepping on her to get up on the railing of the stage. Obviously, I was furious. The next day, however, I found my G string to be buzzing at the bridge. This has never, I mean NEVER, happened before. My theory is that somehow she screwed something up at the bridge when she stepped on my baby, but I need some other opinions.

If it matters, the guitar WAS under about an inch of padding from my gig bag (which is actually a very, very nice Road Runner case) and the girl did step on or near the saddle.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Still buzzing?

And it's only the g string? Is the buzzing coming from the bridge like near the saddle or do you think it's coming from inside the guitar near the bridge plate?
Quote by Natrone
So I mentioned this in the chat thread, but I really want some opinions on this.

I've been at a church camp all week with my acoustic. The day we were taking pictures on a stage overlooking the mountains of Colorado I walk over to move my beloved acoustic only to be greeted by the site of a midget girl stepping on her to get up on the railing of the stage. Obviously, I was furious. The next day, however, I found my G string to be buzzing at the bridge. This has never, I mean NEVER, happened before. My theory is that somehow she screwed something up at the bridge when she stepped on my baby, but I need some other opinions.

If it matters, the guitar WAS under about an inch of padding from my gig bag (which is actually a very, very nice Road Runner case) and the girl did step on or near the saddle.

AND SHES STILL ALIVE? I woulda killed her!
^ I'm surprised you're the first to say that.

Anywho, is there anything that wiggles?That feels loose? When you get home, I'd change the strings and see if there's anything that seems out of place.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
wow was she really a midget?

Ohh, how you made my day.

Do you feel any indents or see any fracture lines on the top face of the guitar? I'm actually somewhat surprised your guitar is still alive. Didn't think a guitar could survive a stepping like that. Especially since soft cases don't really protect from impact.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Well my road runner case has quite a bit of padding, and I would put up the durability of a Takamine against pretty much anything. I've abused that thing like no guitar should be abused and other than the string buzzing, it's never given me any problems.

The string is still buzzing. Jim, to answer your question from before, yes, its buzzing AT the bridge, on top. There's nothing loose on it, there are no cracks in the finish (would be easy to see on a gloss black guitar.), and yes, she REALLY WAS A MIDGET. About 4' 2" and she's a senior in high school. Really annoying as well. I didn't like her all that much even before she used my guitar as a stepping stool.

Off to get new strings today or tomorrow. Needed a string change anyway. I'll post back with updates on the condition of things later.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Hmm... on top of the bridge. I can't really think of much that could be causing the problem. The only things I'm thinking of are damage done to the bridge pin or the ball end of the string.
It couldn't be a loose brace, could it? That's the only thing I can think of. Although if it were, it would probably buzz with all the other strings, and not specifically the G.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^-- That's actually what I figured it was at first given the happenings, but in my experience buzzing from loose braces is easily identifiable as coming from inside the guitar. Natrone seems pretty sure the buzzing is come from outside the guitar. And a loose brace will not necessarily buzz when any string is played. Sometimes certain strings or notes will make it buzz and others won't. Physics I reckon
Well unfortunately I haven't had the chance to procure myself some of my precious D'Addario's yet, but I have done a couple simple bridge tests (palm muting to see if it still buzzes, varying forcefullness of strums. Still buzzes with a palm mute. And by palm mute I mean pressing down on the string with my finger on the bridge and strumming. It doesn't buzz with a light, barely audible strum, and stops buzzing once it starts getting into a quiet sustain. So, obviously, the problem isn't the bridge. Hopefully it's just the string
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
^-- Does sound like loose bracing to me. Look around inside your guitar with a flashlight and a mirror when you change strings.
Don't talk like that Jim! And why would it only happen on the G string if it's loose bracing?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I have not had much experience with bracing coming loose as it has never happened to any of my own guitars, but I'm pretty sure that I've read that a loose bracing is sometimes greatly more audible at different frequencies. This could be rubbish

Where's that Collins Luthiery guy that has been around lately? I bet he knows.
you're right jim about the bracing and certain frequencies. ever notice how a subwoofer will sometimes make something rattle in a car and at other times it won't? same deal here. natrone, pull your strings off and check inside very thoroughly.
Ok, hopefully I get reimbursed for various purchases I've made for the family soon and I'll have money for strings. Alternatively, I could just have my mom get strings from the shop near my church since she'll be there tomorrow. Thanks for the thoughts guys. Hopefully this isn't anything horribly permanent.

My thought on the loose bracing is why wouldn't it buzz after a certain amount of time if we're talking about vibration due to a frequency? Yes, I know that as the string gets quieter, its vibrating in a shorter path between and therefor it vibrates at a different frequency. But that tiny difference shouldn't be enough to make the difference between buzz and no buzz. I also don't see why the sound of the string is so muffled and so much softer if it's loose bracing. That would just be an annoying buzzing sound that doesn't affect the vibration and resonance of the string....right?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Natrone, we can't hold and examine your guitar. This is all pure speculation on nothing more than possible causes

I am really interested to find out what is going on. Make sure you post an update after you change the strings and have a look around!
Quote by Natrone
Ok, hopefully I get reimbursed for various purchases I've made for the family soon and I'll have money for strings. Alternatively, I could just have my mom get strings from the shop near my church since she'll be there tomorrow. Thanks for the thoughts guys. Hopefully this isn't anything horribly permanent.

My thought on the loose bracing is why wouldn't it buzz after a certain amount of time if we're talking about vibration due to a frequency? Yes, I know that as the string gets quieter, its vibrating in a shorter path between and therefor it vibrates at a different frequency. But that tiny difference shouldn't be enough to make the difference between buzz and no buzz. I also don't see why the sound of the string is so muffled and so much softer if it's loose bracing. That would just be an annoying buzzing sound that doesn't affect the vibration and resonance of the string....right?

Nope. It's still vibrating at the same frequency, just a different amplitude of that frequency. That G note is still a G note from the moment you pluck it until the moment it dies out to the point where it's inaudible, but it's still a G note. The amplitude, or volume if you will, of the note could be what's causing the buzz to die out over time. As the amplitude get's weaker, so do the vibrations of the string.
Back to the sub-woofer example. I have a bass comp wars cd that I've used to dial in subs in cars. The CD has sampling on it of all the sub frequencies ranging from 20hz up to 99hz. There are a few in there that tend to cause a certain part of the cars interior to rattle more-so than other notes. I've changed back and forth between say 35hz and 36hz(as an example) to try to isolate the trouble spots. 1hz isn't much, but it's enough if the part in question is susceptible to that particular frequency, which brings me back to your guitar. If a partially loose brace is susceptible to the G note at (x)amplitude, then it's going to want to buzz at that point. Play a B note and it's gone. Play a G again and it's back. Follow me?
My other thought about your guitar is that your saddle piece may be cracked. Maybe not where you can see it even, but if it is cracked, this would also certainly cause a buzzing at the bridge area. In your case, if there is damage to the guitar from the midget, you can hope for the best that it's just a cracked saddle and replace it. Luck to ya bro!
Last edited by LeftyDave at Jul 31, 2009,
Thanks guys. I'm just worried for my baby. I mean, I've abused her and all....man I'm impressed it was able to resist the full weight of a midget

I'm headed off to a family reunion but I'll post back when I get my findings. Thanks for the tips and thoughts
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray