Can someone recommend a good Seattle area amp tech? Ideally, I'd prefer someone on the eastside (Bellevue, Redmond, or Issaquah) since I live in the 'burbs.

I just bought a vintage museum-quality 1965 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 combo, and I need to have a grounded 3-prong plug installed. A local tech recently performed some cap replacements but only to the power section. I might want to have all of the caps replaced.

I'm tempted to call the good folks at in downtown Seattle, but they're not very conviently located for me. Any ideas?
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
I'm pretty sure this isn't the right forum for this.....
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
It is the right forum, broseph. Hungry to report something? Report yourself.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Oh, man...not a repeat of the Legendary IKEA Gorm Pedalboard build thread!

Please, say it ain't so!

This time, I carefully read through all the teasers for each forum and really, truly thought that this was the right forum for such a question. If not here, then where, pray tell?
With an amp that nice I'd just makethe extra trip to make sure it's going to be in good hands.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
With an amp that nice I'd just makethe extra trip to make sure it's going to be in good hands.

So you're recommending that I just give Jay at Emerald City Guitars a call? That's probably good advice. These guys are the vintage amp kingpins in the Emerald City.

"Follow the money!" - Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry
There's a wonderful, famous tech here in Vancouver, but I doubt you would want to come all the way here.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
There's a wonderful, famous tech here in Vancouver, but I doubt you would want to come all the way here.

There is??? Who?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Oh, man...not a repeat of the Legendary IKEA Gorm Pedalboard build thread!

Please, say it ain't so!

This time, I carefully read through all the teasers for each forum and really, truly thought that this was the right forum for such a question. If not here, then where, pray tell?

That Pedalboard made me drool and those douchebags had no right to do what they did. I'm gald you didn't leave UG for good. It would have been a terrible loss.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
It is the right forum, broseph. Hungry to report something? Report yourself.

I didn't report it dude chill .... i just thought it belonged in the classifieds my bad
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I live in Redmond, but there is a good amp tech somewhere in Edmonds? Just google it.

As to the Jay from Emerald City, Ive known him for quite a while, and im 99% sure they do not do amp repairs, just guitars. Gotta love that shop though.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Last edited by dcdossett65 at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by jc349
There is??? Who?

Mr. Ho. He is very famous locally and is a great guy. I've never dealt with him personally, but everyone praises him. My friend got his amp fixed there and confirms this.
http://hoelectronics.com/

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by acdcrocks0323
That Pedalboard made me drool and those douchebags had no right to do what they did. I'm gald you didn't leave UG for good. It would have been a terrible loss.

Thanks, man!

I stormed off for a week then returned after a "cooling off period". My board is legendary, but so was the initial thread that created such a hailstorm!
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Mr. Ho. He is very famous locally and is a great guy. I've never dealt with him personally, but everyone praises him. My friend got his amp fixed there and confirms this.
http://hoelectronics.com/

ok, thanks.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by dcdossett65
I live in Redmond, but there is a good amp tech somewhere in Edmonds? Just google it.

As to the Jay from Emerald City, Ive known him for quite a while, and im 99% sure they do not do amp repairs, just guitars. Gotta love that shop though.

I wasn't sure about this. I bought my Tiny Terror from him 2 years ago, and he's a great guy. I always budget at least 1 hour when I visit his shop.

Even if they don't do amp repairs, I'm sure he can recommend someone closer to Issaquah. Thanks for the advice.
(Resurrecting this old thread.)

I finally got around to calling Emerald City Guitars this morning. My old Ampeg Gemini I is starting to snap, crackle and pop after heating up for 10 minutes, so it's time for some new caps and a grounded plug upgrade. I also ordered a re-issued tube set (totaling 7 new tubes) from Fliptops.net for $120.

Emerald City Guitars doesn't do their own tube amp repairs. Instead, they work with a guy named Brent @ a shop on the peninsula called "Solderhaus". He's picks up and drops off amps each Friday morning from ECG. They gave me Brent's number @ Solderhaus and I called him right away. What a nice guy! He talked to me about my amp and what might be going wrong. He gave me some very reasonable ballpark estimates for repairs. And he said that most repairs only take a week unless he needs to order some bizarre parts, then the repair would take two weeks tops. We also talked about the scarcity of vintage tubes like the 7199 tubes.

Anyway, I'm taking my Gemini into ECG later this week, and I'm sure Brent will get things squared away.
Quote by Armchair Bronco
(Resurrecting this old thread.)

I finally got around to calling Emerald City Guitars this morning. My old Ampeg Gemini I is starting to snap, crackle and pop after heating up for 10 minutes, so it's time for some new caps and a grounded plug upgrade. I also ordered a re-issued tube set (totaling 7 new tubes) from Fliptops.net for $120.

Emerald City Guitars doesn't do their own tube amp repairs. Instead, they work with a guy named Brent @ a shop on the peninsula called "Solderhaus". He's picks up and drops off amps each Friday morning from ECG. They gave me Brent's number @ Solderhaus and I called him right away. What a nice guy! He talked to me about my amp and what might be going wrong. He gave me some very reasonable ballpark estimates for repairs. And he said that most repairs only take a week unless he needs to order some bizarre parts, then the repair would take two weeks tops. We also talked about the scarcity of vintage tubes like the 7199 tubes.

Anyway, I'm taking my Gemini into ECG later this week, and I'm sure Brent will get things squared away.

If you don't feel like waiting a couple weeks, you might try here: http://www.guitarville.com/

Roger took really good care of me and my '73 Twin when it sounded like there was a thunder storm going on in it. Had it done in 3 or 4 days, for a very reasonable price (Under $100 if memory serves). I just picked up a Vibroverb re-issue that is going to see him soon.

It would be worth talking to him at least...
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Quote by strat2finish
If you don't feel like waiting a couple weeks, you might try here: http://www.guitarville.com/

Roger took really good care of me and my '73 Twin when it sounded like there was a thunder storm going on in it. Had it done in 3 or 4 days, for a very reasonable price (Under $100 if memory serves). I just picked up a Vibroverb re-issue that is going to see him soon.

It would be worth talking to him at least...

I dropped off my amp last Thursday and am hoping to pick it up this weekend, so you're suggestion won't work for me this time around. But I'll definitely keep your tip in mind next time around. Thanks.