My brand new guitarist (I'm primarily a drummer) just offered me a Fender Standard Tele (I'm assuming its a mexican) with a hot rail installed in the bridge position for $150.

I was planning on getting a tele as my next guitar in the $600 range after christmas, but this just popped up...

He sent me a picture I could post... but really? Am I missing something with these standards? Couldn't I flip this guitar in the future?
Les Paul, Strat, Tele
Carvin x100b, Epip VJr, Crate V33
Carvin 4x12, 2x12
If its a Mexican yes. Really most teles, especially with a new pickup would be worth it at that price.

and PICS NAO!
sure, if it plays well and there are no huge problems why not?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
New pickup aside, a brand new Tele is going to be a lot closer to $600 than to $150. If you were looking for a tele anyway, you'd be a retard not to buy this one. Even if it's beat to snot it's still an awesome price (assuming it still stays in tune and all), and you could easily sell it back for at least that price later.

Plus it sounds like your friend needs the money right now. If you play the thing for a couple months and decide not to keep it, you could always sell it back to him for the same price once he gets his bearings back, and you're no worse off than if you never bought it in the first place.

He's probably going to unload it anyway. Might as well keep it in the family.
Agree with every one else.

I say play it, if it sounds and feels good, do it.
Gear:
American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Blues Junior
Vox Wah
Yeah, I definitely agree. It never hurts to have another guitar, and $150 isn't that much if you decide you don't really want it afterall.
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
Not sure, sounds to me like this time when I was at a car dealership and a guy came up to me and offered me his 2008 Honda Civic with an upgraded exhaust for 5000 when I was about to buy a 2009 Honda Civic from the dealership for 25000. Naturally I told him to shove off, I was buying the new one.

Seriously though, do it! :thumbs up:

He says the pick guard is yellowing, and one of the knobs is missing... so I'm think this will be my project guitar. I have a squier strat that wont play and that was going to be it, but this is a much better start (considering this one plays).

I absolutely hate the color, what color should I make it now? Paint it? Stain it? Opinions?
Les Paul, Strat, Tele
Carvin 4x12, 2x12
Hell why not go for it? $150 is a really really nice price, just sand off the paint and paint the color you want.
Quote by JasonArp

I absolutely hate the color, what color should I make it now? Paint it? Stain it? Opinions?

Wine Red.
/topic.

and Tbqh...

BUY IT NAO!
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
i say get it
150 is barely anything and upgrades will make it a nice guitar
and also, i dont have any problems with that colour but thats just me
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Buying next week after paycheck.

Any tele near Dallas know how to set this thing up? The only shop close to me is a Guitar Center... : /
Les Paul, Strat, Tele
Carvin 4x12, 2x12
Quote by JasonArp
Buying next week after paycheck.

Any tele near Dallas know how to set this thing up? The only shop close to me is a Guitar Center... : /

A tele is by far one of the easiest guitars to set up, just check out some articles that are highly rated here.