Hey there,

So, I'm about to buy my next guitar and want something semi-hollow. After considering the Gretsch Electromatic G5120, G5122, and the Yamaha Sa503 I was thinking about getting an Epiphone Dot and had some Gibson 57 pickups, a Bigsby and locking tuners.

Do you think it's a good idea or should I get something that works fine out-of-the-box because it's too much hassle for what I'd get?
the dot is a tune-o-matic bridge right? try getting a les trem instead of a bigsby, much simpler works the same. locking tuners, eh, your call, and pickups arent that hard to replace.

ive played a dot, theyre pretty nice =)
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
What pickups would you suggest for Stoner Rock/ post-punk? I READ about the 57s and thought I'd get that 335 original warm sound, but I'm down to try anything that would suit my style.
Depends on your amp... Pickups dont do anything if you don't have the right amp.
@ Tk1: It would probably be a B7 or a Stetsbar. I heard bad thing about Les Trem, didn't you?

But the question remains; would an Epiphone Dot with a Stetsbar/Bigsby, 57 pickups, locking tuner and maybe RS guitarworks new pots and electrics be as great as let's say a Gretsch Electromatic G5120 in terms of sound definition and tone?
Not good Idea to buy upgrades for an epiphone, i suggest you: save the money for a better guitar.
@compin; why "Epiphone"? Did you try the Dot? or you're just generally speaking?
Quote by patton686
@compin; why "Epiphone"? Did you try the Dot? or you're just generally speaking?

Maybe the Dot is not bad, but it's a cheap Epiphone and new Pickups would cost like 200$?! So i say just save the money for an better Epiphone or Guitar.
Well, 57 pickups would indeed cost 150-200$, Stetsbar 229$, tuners 70$, electronics and pots maybe 100$, but wouldn't I be closer than ever to a 2000$ ES-335? I really dig this style.
Quote by patton686
Well, 57 pickups would indeed cost 150-200$, Stetsbar 229$, tuners 70$, electronics and pots maybe 100$, but wouldn't I be closer than ever to a 2000$ ES-335? I really dig this style.

Well, why not buy used Pickups and just try it out.
If there's no much Sound Difference just sell the Pickups.
Really, the money "isn't an issue" here, I mean I could shell out 800$ on a guitar right now, but I can't seem to find any 335 or USA-made Gretsch in this price range. Since an Electromatic is about 700$, I wouldn't have another 300$ to spend on pick-ups and locking tuners. Though with the Dot I could, since I could find a used but in good condition one that's about 350$ and then upgrade from there... that's why I'm asking.
Quote by patton686
Really, the money "isn't an issue" here, I mean I could shell out 800$ on a guitar right now, but I can't seem to find any 335 or USA-made Gretsch in this price range. Since an Electromatic is about 700$, I wouldn't have another 300$ to spend on pick-ups and locking tuners. Though with the Dot I could, since I could find a used but in good condition one that's about 350$ and then upgrade from there... that's why I'm asking.

Pickups are overrated, really.
When you buy a good used guitar, you really don't need new Pickups if the Pickups aren't really crap.
And if you really want to change the pickups then, you can still save money for new PUs.
Have you tried out Hamer guitars? They have a semi-hollow (I believe its called the Echotone) that sounds pretty nice and is only....$600? Fun to play as well. Real nice necks
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by patton686
I was thinking about getting an Epiphone Dot and had some Gibson 57 pickups, a Bigsby and locking tuners.

YES.
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

Quote by chaazums

YES.

You think it's a good idea? Know someone who did that?
Quote by patton686

Yeah, but there's one that comes in a trans red finish that is probably one of the sexiest things I've ever seen. Binding all around, including the F-holes and excluding the headstock. They sound fantastic too for the price
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by patton686
You think it's a good idea? Know someone who did that?

No, but it sounds like a great idea. Locking tuners sounds like a very nice feature. If I were you, I'd put a little hotter (but not metal!) PUPs in there. Maybe some SD Jazz SH-2's?
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

great guitar, mines cherry red, and im planning all gold hardware and then some nice classic PAF type humbuckers, or p-90s
-Jake Blackwood
go with the dot, but get one that was made before the china factory era, because its just a better quality guitar from korea, if you belive me
-Jake Blackwood
Quote by patton686
Should I consider the Epi Sheraton II?

if you can afford it, yes.
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
definitely, better quality wood and electronics
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince