First off, MCR is definitely far more pop-punk than emo. Secondly, you would probably get better answers in the S&L forum.
kill all humans
first of all, don't call it emo.

second of all, write something cool.

thirdly, don't worry about what genre it is.

fourth, like it.

fifth, whatever.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by Its_Rock77
first of all, don't call it emo.

second of all, write something cool.

thirdly, don't worry about what genre it is.

fourth, like it.

fifth, whatever.

like this thanks
Write about how you have no friends. Emo's all about being abandoned by your friends.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
you cant really write emo if your aim is to write emo

that's how we get all this sh!t pussy pop on mtv2, and why there is such a negative steriotype of the genre. just write the music and dont follow a strict rule, otherwise you will just sound the same! and don't force the songs, the best lyrics come from being in the write moods and letting it flow to give you inspiration
Just write whatever comes out, man. Most things I write don't sound anything at all like the music I listen to, but I enjoy it nonetheless.
I like to take some experience like getting a bloody nose or skinning my knee or just totally messing up with a girl and make metaphors to like alternate dimensions and skateboarding. I'm quite serious
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by BK202
Write whatever comes out, and whatever people decide it is, is what genre it is. Do you think Sunny Day Real Estate (my guess is you don't know who they are, you listen to MCR) came together saying "Hey I'm going to write emo lyrics!"?

err.. I listen to MCR and SDRE (not to mention I also listen to ATDI)

you are right though, about SDRE being branded emo, but you are off topic because he is asking for help (probably to write Bullets era MCR, which is emo-esque, somewhat gothic, and some other things that aren't exactly what they have on their MTV singles).

foodit:
lol, I should not have read your sig; you listen to MCS, Death Cab, and Jack's Mannequin, I wouldn't be talking.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by lordofthefood1
err.. I listen to MCR and SDRE (not to mention I also listen to ATDI)

you are right though, about SDRE being branded emo, but you are off topic because he is asking for help (probably to write Bullets era MCR, which is emo-esque, somewhat gothic, and some other things that aren't exactly what they have on their MTV singles).

foodit:
lol, I should not have read your sig; you listen to MCS, Death Cab, and Jack's Mannequin, I wouldn't be talking.

Yea, I know, I just don't like MCR except for their bullets stuff. And most people I know who think MCR is emo don't really know more true emo bands. And hey an ATDI fan! Sorry, I shouldn't have been so ignorant. I would recommend writing from your heart. I don't hate MCR.

And hey, my music tastes diverted along the way, I've always had a thing for semi-acoustic emo bands and more hardcore emo bands.
Emos don't write silly, they cut.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Quote by supersize
What are some good techniques for writing pop-punk/emo songs (think MCR)

Learn power chords, find things to complain about.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Write whatever comes out, and whatever people decide it is, is what genre it is. Do you think Sunny Day Real Estate (my guess is you don't know who they are, you listen to MCR) came together saying "Hey I'm going to write emo lyrics!"?
-x-
Please don't be so bold. I listen to MCR and know all about Sunny Day Real Estate.
this heart beats for only you.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
Learn power chords, find things to complain about.

Again, early MCR has some pretty intricate, SDRE-esque type guitars.
Now say his name.....
I thought this was going to be a good discussion until MCR came up. The emo genre has some of the best songwriters of our era (think Jesse Lacey or Conor Oberst). It would be nice to discuss their songwriting techniques.
Quote by supersize
ya that aint workin for me, so i came here

Wrong. You don't come somewhere else because "it ain't workin for ya." Look around through the S&L threads. Particularly, in the Techniques section. Post where it's appropriate, not where it's convenient.

For the record, just write about whatever comes to mind as interesting and worth telling. You sound like someone who wants to make music for the wrong reason. And if you want to find good "emo" lyrics (although MCR is definitely not emo) I would recommend checking out the lyrics of Brand New, Okkerville River, Say Anything, and other such bands. Knowing how that type of artist writes is the first step to writing in their typical style.

And...

*reported*