Poll: How long do you practice a day usually?
Poll Options
View poll results: How long do you practice a day usually?
An Hour of less
39 24%
2-4 Hours
92 57%
5-9 Hours
17 11%
10+ hours
3 2%
I never stop
10 6%
Voters: 161.
Page 1 of 2
I've been reading more about EVH recently and he said he used to practice for 10+ hours every day and the last week my gf has been in cali so i've been playing guitar a ton (like 12 or more hours a day) and in the past 2 days i've gone from barely able to play solos that sound decent to cranking out eddie van halen or clapton solos really cleanly and stuff, so i might do this more often if i improve this much, and ontop of the that when i'm not playing a read about music theory and such. So just wondering how long everyone else does?
I've been playing for just a tad bit over 2 years, but I hardly practice as much as I should.

School, busy schedule, inexcusable laziness etc. get in the way and leave me only with a pathetic 2-3 hours or so a week.

8-10 hours usually.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Jul 26, 2009,
when i first started i played at least 8 hrs a day. i was gettin good with some of that early metallica stuff (loved it!!!). a gf slowly caused that to decline till i quit for 2 years.

then after that i just couldn't get back into it as much. now i might practice about and hour a month but can still do well with my fav metallica songs (fade to black, one, orion, ktulu, to live is to die among others)...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Like 2 hours

Summer holidays now though. So it'll be more the coming period
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
I've done up to 5 hours of classical guitar study, but I've found other priorities in my life and it's down to a rubbish 2 hours a day.
it all depends what I feel like, I usually practice about an hour a day, but if I'm doing nothing I will play up to 4-5 hours
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Depends, some days I will play half an hour and the other days 5+ hours. I don't really practice scales. To me if you spend like 10 hours a day practicing scales, then you sound too rehearsed, it should be more spontaneous
back in the day i would practice 4-5 hours a day. Im not that hardcore any more. i never practice xD
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
Usually about 2-4 hours. Then I'm done. Sometimes I'll go for longer. But it all depends on my level of concentration.
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
I'll do chromatics down the neck twice, then do spider excercises until im burning. then come back in about 30 minutes and riff off or improvise a little bit until I run outta ideas or just wanna do somethin else, then 30 minutes later I do chromatics and spider excersies. I do that almost all day
Quote by Pennderinn
I've been reading more about EVH recently and he said he used to practice for 10+ hours every day and the last week my gf has been in cali so i've been playing guitar a ton (like 12 or more hours a day) and in the past 2 days i've gone from barely able to play solos that sound decent to cranking out eddie van halen or clapton solos really cleanly and stuff, so i might do this more often if i improve this much, and ontop of the that when i'm not playing a read about music theory and such. So just wondering how long everyone else does?

Luckily for us, EVH never tells lies?

He practices for 10> hours a day? Then he has 14 hours in a day left. 10 hours of sleep needed as a teenager(he was a teen then) and FOUR hours to eat, drink, go to school, do homework and such?
I believe he practiced a LOT, but more than 10 hours a day is just BS.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
i go for 1-2 hours on a school night (sometimes i get up early to practice and get and extra 30mins). On weekends it could be anywhere from 2 all the way to 12 hours each day
Quote by LordPino
Luckily for us, EVH never tells lies?

He practices for 10> hours a day? Then he has 14 hours in a day left. 10 hours of sleep needed as a teenager(he was a teen then) and FOUR hours to eat, drink, go to school, do homework and such?
I believe he practiced a LOT, but more than 10 hours a day is just BS.

These days, 1000's of people play World of Warcraft without sleeping for days sometimes, and some people even skip school to play.

And you find it hard to believe he practised guitar a lot?

I'm not saying I believe it, and he probably didn't do 10 hours + every day straight, but I see no reason to dismiss that he practised many, many hours during his youth.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I guess that there would be the odd day or two where he did practice for that long, but not all the time, and he is probably just exageratting (perhaps unintentionally) That amount of time would clearly not be healthy
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
You're just gonna burn out and end up hating the instrument if you keep that up for too long, and quite likely injure yourself too.
Quote by Pennderinn
How long do you practice a day usually?
Not enough
Depends. Yesterday I got a good 3 hours in, and that was about all of the alone time I got. Usually about an hour if I have time.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
I've got all day to play guitar, plus I'm a music student at uni, yet somehow I only ever seem to get 2-3 hours a day done.

I don't play guitar if I don't feel like it.
I never stop.

If I'm not playing my guitar, I'm often studying songs or transcribing them. And if I have no access to a guitar, I'll often just play air guitar. It helps surprisingly well. I can go a day without playing my guitar and be burned out from the practice.
Not at all anymore.

Any practice I do, is usually just from playing gigs, or when im writing material.

I did the whole "4-hours-a-day-every-day" thing for about 3 years, and consequently got my technical ability on bass very high. But i also got tendonitis, so go figure
When I have work like 3-5 hours. When I'm free probably about 4-9
Instruments:
1972 Fender Telecaster Thinline Semi-Hollow Reissue
Epiphone SG Special II
Squire Affinity P Bass
Squire Fretless Jazz Bass
Pirles Banjo
As long as I feel like it, I feel like I can't be taught more, only serious technical stuff/theory. I just jam, not really practice.
1971 - was the f***ing year
Bobby Liebling is the man!
some days none, some days 30 minutes, some days 2 hours... :X
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
How the hell do people practice for 10 hours a day on average? Do they not have jobs/school/other things to do?

Where's the option "however long I feel like it?" Some days I won't play at all, and some days I'll be crazed and I'll play as long as I can. You can't force creativity. You can force technical practice, but if you do too much, it may have adverse effects (injury and what not).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
playing for 10 hours without structure is worth less than a structured, concentrated 45-minute practice section.

time spent practicing does not indicate the quality of practice.
There's no option for 1-2 hours!?

I always get an hour in, minimum. But I'd say I average 1.5-2 hours.

Will have been playing for 2 years at the end of this August. I generally do about 5-10 mins of noodling around to get a little loose, do some exercises for about 20-30 mins, practice songs for about 20-30 mins, and do some improvising and learning the fretboard for about 0-100 mins... lol
about 3 or 4 minutes, I get really bored
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Hello, I am new here!

Here is a practice regimen I have developed that may be of some interest.

My main goal is to achieve accuracy, dexterity, finger independence and speed

The whole practice session takes about 3 hours on a moderate tempo setting

Broken down into segments, the regimen consists of:

1) Scales and Modes = 70 positions (Alternate Picking)
2) Cycle of 5ths/4ths (Alternate Picking)
3) Arpeggios = Major, Minor, Aug, Dim, Dom (Alternate Picking)
4) Chromatics on all frets (Alternate/Reverse Picking)
5) Hexatonics (Alternate Picking)
6) 7th arpeggios (Alternate Picking)
7) Triad Arpeggios (Sweep Picking)
8) Chord Inversions (Strumming/Fingerstyle)
9) Pentatonic Tapping (Tapping)
10) Sightreading (Aural/Visual Training)
11) Improvisation over Sequences (Free Form)
Quote by Dayn
I never stop.

If I'm not playing my guitar, I'm often studying songs or transcribing them. And if I have no access to a guitar, I'll often just play air guitar. It helps surprisingly well. I can go a day without playing my guitar and be burned out from the practice.

Haha yeah i do air guitar a lot, i was just doing it randomly yesterday and girlfriend slapped me and was like "can u stop playing guitar just for a little bit please?" I pretty much play nonstop
Quote by food1010
How the hell do people practice for 10 hours a day on average? Do they not have jobs/school/other things to do?

Where's the option "however long I feel like it?" Some days I won't play at all, and some days I'll be crazed and I'll play as long as I can. You can't force creativity. You can force technical practice, but if you do too much, it may have adverse effects (injury and what not).

I just bring my guitar to school haha and play it there :P
I do an hour a day of techinical practice, which is a ton of chromatic exercises and such. Then another hour devoted to learning songs and theory.
It's like people with small dicks always say. "It's not the length, it's what you do with it that counts." I only practice and hour or so during the week, maybe two and a half hours on weekends. But unlike a lot of guitarist who just sit on their bed, noodling away for hours thinking that counts as practice. I do focused, intense work. I get more out of my hour and a half then most guitarists could get out of 3 hours.
Last edited by GoldenBlues at Jul 28, 2009,
Page 1 of 2