it means to only use part of the pickups winding (rather than all the windings) for less output, and a brighter sound.
It'll basically make your humbucker pickup act as a single coil pickup. My Ibanez has it and it makes the sound a little twangier like a single coil pickup.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I don't know the specifics oh how it works, but basically you pull up your volume knob and it turns a humbucker into a single coil

+1 only for me it's the tone knob

i got it.it's great! it's like you got four pickups...two hum..two single...
Last edited by hitl at Jul 26, 2009,
The only person in this thread to give the right answer was the very first reply and every post after that has been wrong. Typical.

Quote by al112987
it means to only use part of the pickups winding (rather than all the windings) for less output, and a brighter sound.
This is completely correct, though to expand; it is done with singlecoil pickups and requires an extra hook up wire from the pickup. Many brands don't bother making singlecoils with this wire anymore since coil taps aren't very popular these days, but some brands will make a pickup with the coil tap wire as a special order.

You can also get a similar effect by installing a treble bleed mod on the pickup's volume control and simply turning the volume down.

Everyone else, what you're all talking about is a coil split.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
the guitar I'm looking at has humbuckers with coil tapping.
If i turn on coil tapping will it sound different?
i was always made aware that coil tapping was on humbuckers. never seen it on single coils tbh!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
i was always made aware that coil tapping was on humbuckers. never seen it on single coils tbh!
You can coil tap on ANY pickup both but it is more common on a single coil.

The big thing that people get mixed up is a coil tap vs. a coil split. But the term coil tap literally means placing a tap on the windings that allows you to use less winds. So say that you have a pickup wound to 10k and you place the lead after 80% of the windings, then you effectively bypass all the windings after the point where you placed the tap, and make the 10k pickup an 8k pickup. Which in turn, gives it the characteristic of a lower output pickup, brighter, more clarity, less output.

When you split a humbucker, what you are effectively doing is shorting either the hot or ground lead (depending on which coil you're disabling) to ground, which basically removes it so you're only using one coil.

A lot of people use them interchangably but in the end they're two different things that are both used. So it actually is important to know what each one means.

edit:
I'll add that a coil tap works a lot better for it's purposes on a single coil than a coil split does on a humbucker. People try to use coil splitting to get strat like tones out of guitars like les pauls, which just doesn't work all that well. For the most part, humbuckers do not sound that great split, you lose a ton of output and a ton of girth and generally just get a really weak and thin sound. When I first learned how to solder, I basically tried every single pickup wiring mod known to man and very few of them actually sound good enough to be useful.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 26, 2009,
If i wanted to play some ska on my guitar would it be better to turn on the coil tap?
Okay, firstly please stop saying coil 'tap' when quite clearly you are actually talking about a coil split.

Secondly, whether or not you will find it ''better'' to use the split or not is entirely on what sort of tone you're aiming for, whether the pickups sound any good when split, what amp you have, etc etc.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
as andrew (it is andrew, right? i get confused with all the usernames ) and flibble have been saying, normally it means the guitar has coil splits, not taps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?