Hey guys, i'm new to the forum. Looks like a pretty good group and i'm looking forward to being here.

Bit of background, i've been playing bass for about 2 years, music in general for about 6. Out of all the instruments I have played I always like bass the most and decided to devote my time to it.

A few months ago I had to sell all my gear except my little practice amp because of job loss and hard times. Recently i've gotten a new job and am starting the journey of building a gigable bass rig that will last me a while. As this is the most in depth i've gotten in bass gear any advice would be appreciated.

Here goes what i'm thinking so far. I'm not looking for a specific tone, I would rather create my own.

Bass('s) -

Lakland Skyline 55-02
Lakland Joe Osborn 5 String Skyline
Ibanez SR506

Cab's -

1 Hartke VX410 Bass Cabinet (4x10)
1 Hartke VX210 Bass Cabinet (2x10)

Rack -
PreAmp - Sansamp Tech 21 RPM
Head - Hartke LH1000
Compressor - DBX 160a
Tuner - Korg DTR2000

Effects - Dunno right now, at least a MXR Blowtorch.

Like I said, any advice would be appreciated. Price is not really an object, though 1k or less per item would be ideal.

Sorry for the long post! Please point out any flaws in my logic with the equipment

Will update post with peoples suggestions
Last edited by CincyBass at Jul 29, 2009,
what about a fretless 6er?

Hartke has gained a lot of ground with them Hydrive cabs, I might suggest them. also try Mesa and SWR, I have recently decided I agree with fitz that they are the best cabs available.

effects- if bass fuzz like the blowtorch is your thing, look at bassfuzz.com. great stuff there.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah a fretless sounds like a good idea. Im going to at least pick up a SX fretless from rondo music and a 6er and see how well I like both, finding a 6er with a neck I like has been tough, very tough.
my favorite bass amp has always been the sunn 300t, 300 watts of tube power, and very good tone.
I have the Hartke LH1000 and would highly recommend it.

And what are you looking for in a 6 string neck? Mayne we could recommend something?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
The Lakland 55-02 is very very nice, try one out if you can first though. Personally I would go with 2 115s, but that is just my preference and I know majority of people would go for 2 410s. I have the Hartke LH500 and it is brilliant, I would definitely recommend the LH1000
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
The lakland 55-02 is an amazing bass. Unlike many other brands who have a budget line compared to their standard instruments laklands qualty is amazing in both and both to the same high standard. I played a non deluxe one and it was amazing but ideally on looks and sound would want a deluxe 55-02 with natural quilt maple top and maple fretboard.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
In a 6 string i'm really just trying to find one that has the thinest neck available, my hands are comfortable on a 5 but most 6's just make my hand cramp up, though I know I would probably get used to whichever one I got. It's not really all that important as I will probably never gig with it on a regular basis, just an at home instrument really. So in terms of neck probably just a thinner neck like an Ibanez, and an ebony fretless fingerboard.

Do most people recommend a LH1000 over a Pre/Power setup? I love the tone of the LH but I wish it had a few more eq options, though for the power and price it's hard to beat.

Anyone recommend anything else to go in the rack?
Welcome to the forum! The new Hartke Hydrive cabs are very good In my oppinion. Also, you may want to look into Avatar cabs. I have a 2x10 and the only thing I dont like about it is the smell.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Jul 26, 2009,
You could get the Lh 1000 and put a sansamp rpm preamp in the line, or any other preamp or a pedal preamp or whatever for some more options.
Other rack things that are good.

A tuner defiantly even if you use a floor one at gigs, the whole band can tune up with it and be set and its very accurate. A korg dtr1000/2000 would be ideal.
A compressor, the DBX 160A is the first one that comes to mind when i think of a rack compressor, as it is the best.
You can then get rack effects that can be controlled via a floor controller and all other goodies to change and effect you tone.

As for a bass, as i said in its price not much will beat the lakland 55-02.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
You could get the Lh 1000 and put a sansamp rpm preamp in the line, or any other preamp or a pedal preamp or whatever for some more options.
Other rack things that are good.

A tuner defiantly even if you use a floor one at gigs, the whole band can tune up with it and be set and its very accurate. A korg dtr1000/2000 would be ideal.
A compressor, the DBX 160A is the first one that comes to mind when i think of a rack compressor, as it is the best.
You can then get rack effects that can be controlled via a floor controller and all other goodies to change and effect you tone.

As for a bass, as i said in its price not much will beat the lakland 55-02.

Sounds like a good idea, I love the sound of the LH and the sansamp is great.

As for the rack, im really only going to put a Pre/Power(or hartke), compressor, tuner, and maybe a power conditioner or drawr and maybe some cool lights All of the actual effects im going to build a pedal board for. Effects I like to change out a lot, the rack will be set in stone for a while unless something really great comes along.

Since i'll probably get the LH1000, anyone have any recommended cab combos, disregarding brand? 2 1x15 and 2 4x10 good idea or something different?
Last edited by CincyBass at Jul 26, 2009,
Ideallt you want to 8x10's of the LH 500, but i would get two decent 4x10's or 2x12's and be done with it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I find the Ibanez Sixers to be quite small in the neck.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
As the resident moderator I'd like to welcome you to the forum.

anyway, suggestions. I can't top the list you have built up there. It's essentially my wish list of gear.

I would suggest against a fretless 6 string if you have no experience with either. I can't recommend you a 6 string but i will recommend you a fretless jazz bass either fender or lakland. If you go for the 55-02 then I'd go for a lakland skyline Joe Osborn fretless bass aswell.

Also I'd recommend that after the 1st bass, head and cabs that you buy everything else seperately one at a time because theres nothing worse than having a pile of new gear and having too many knobs to turn to find a good sound. It's much easier to get your basic rig and get a good sound with that then add what you think it needs one piece at a time fine tuning your sound as you go.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
As the resident moderator I'd like to welcome you to the forum.

anyway, suggestions. I can't top the list you have built up there. It's essentially my wish list of gear.

I would suggest against a fretless 6 string if you have no experience with either. I can't recommend you a 6 string but i will recommend you a fretless jazz bass either fender or lakland. If you go for the 55-02 then I'd go for a lakland skyline Joe Osborn fretless bass aswell.

Also I'd recommend that after the 1st bass, head and cabs that you buy everything else seperately one at a time because theres nothing worse than having a pile of new gear and having too many knobs to turn to find a good sound. It's much easier to get your basic rig and get a good sound with that then add what you think it needs one piece at a time fine tuning your sound as you go.

You make good points, ill take a look at that Joe Osborn Lakland.

And yeah after the 55-02 everything will be piece by piece. Probably will go something like,

Lakland 55-02 --> Hartke LH1000 <--> 1 4x10 --> Sansamp Tech 21 --> 1 2x12, 1x15 --> Compressor etc.