Hey.

Recently, my old band disbanded. As a result, the drummer and I formed a new band which currently contains a guitarist (rhythm and lead), keyboardist (also a back-up guitarist), and a drummer. We've written a few songs, though are in desperate need of a singer and bassist.

I was wondering: does anyone here know of ways to promote auditions to get a bassist and a singer? We were thinking of placing advertisements in the newspaper, though we aren't too sure how effective that will be as we're 15 and aiming to get someone else around that age. Also, we were thinking of contacting music stores and the like, and asking them if they knew of any singers and bassists who want to join a band.

Would this be the right way of going about it? Thanks.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Yeah, internet is great. Back in the old days, we used to put flyers up on bulletin boards in music stores. Back in the old days, people used to check those bulletin boards for said flyers. Some people still do, but most just head straight to the net - especially those players under the age of about 45.

The other primary source is networking. Who do you already know, and who do THEY know? Even major recording acts do this. If Slash was to break his arm, leaving Velvet Revolver looking for a replacement for a while, you can bet there wouldn't be any ads going up on music stores, in newspapers or on line that say, "Guitarist needed - Velvet Revolver."

They would go through their network of people they know and beat the bushes until something comes out. Lesson - develop that network. Get to know other musicians, especially. (though don't forget that network also just includes friends from school, your baseball team, or whatever else you do outside of music) Get to know people at music stores, people who do studio work, people who do artist management, bookers/promoters/managers/agents, etc. All that stuff. The better hooked up you are, the more players you will have access to, and in the future, the more opportunities you will have for getting gigs, cheap recording time, and even access to press, media, and record labels.

Finally, another thing that really helps to have is a reputation. (a good one, obviously!!) That's part of the networking piece, but that also means being a nice guy/girl that people like and want to work with, and having something that gives you credibility - a work history of sorts. Get a demo. When my original band was looking for a guitarist, we didn't even consider anyone without either a demo or a background that impressed us. You will be a lot more credible if you have a demo and people say, "Oh, you're the guy who did those guitar tracks on so-and-so's album, and who also plays with such-and-such. Geez... your reputation really speaks for itself."

Having a demo, a track record of experience, and a reputation are the things that separate the serious (or dare I say, 'pros') from the slackers and wannabes. Unless you want to just be a wannabe, then even at 15, start building your rep.

CT

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.