Page 1 of 2
My band is about to release an album. We have some ideas for the cover art, but just in case you guys have something better, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

The concept of the album is over-consumerism and the redundancy of the social-ladder. 'Pure Hollywood' is the name of our album as an ironic reference to how hollow the dreams of society are. The cover is meant to reflect that, and the way that we were thinking of doing that is by having someone who has clearly taken the climb to the top of the social ladder to an extreme. By having a gorgeous, passed out drunk "hollywood blonde" on the path outside of some sort of symbol of wealth (a hotel, or ship for instance), we're hoping that it will represent self-destruction in the attempt to achieve self-actualisation.

We're going to have a professional photographer/artist at our disposal, and if you guys could think of any other ways which we might be able to portray the concept of the album better, then I'd love to hear them.

Thanks guys!

P.S.
To avoid making this seem like I'm promoting my band in the pit, I have deliberately not mentioned the name of my band anywhere in this post. I hope that's good enough.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
That's a pretty neat idea. If you are going for over-consumerism, how about you go to a very expensive store and get them to make a fake receipt of really expensive commodities? Preferably something fashion related.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Le_Bunny
I think as a concept it's a bit cliched. That aside, perhaps you could do a simplistic image of a bunch of friends who look like tramps in a scungy place, looking calm and contented. That's the sort of angle I'd take, anyway.

very much so

Is the album already finished, or is this just an idea for the future?
How about two hands exchanging goods, say a fur coat being handed over to a guy who's paying with his heart. Sounds gruesome, and i don't know how hard human heart is to come by but meh, that's my pitch.
Quote by CoreysMonster
very much so

Is the album already finished, or is this just an idea for the future?

its finished. we've pushed it through the lawyers, so the copywrite is sorted out, and everything.

i don't feel that our take on everything that we're talking about is cliche. and even if there's people out there who do, thats alright. we make our music because we like it. there are a lot of other people who do to, and we have them to thank for allowing us to make this album. but the first copy printed (it's already been printed, theres just no cover art), i'm going to give to my grandmother, who i'm sure is going to hate our music.

but that's straying from the point that although i dont think that our take on the concept is a cliche, if some people do, then that's alright.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Have someone dressed in so many articles of clothing, accessories, and whatnot, that you can't see them at all, and it just looks like a blob of Abercrombie and gold chains and fur coats and all that stuff.
kill all humans
these are all good ideas, guys. keep them coming.

i'll make sure the other members of my band see this thread, and we'll make a decision together.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Girl, dressed in a fur coat, done up well but obviously passed out with a bottle of wine in one hand, cigarette in the other. She's in a convertible, parked awkwardly outside a ritzy hotel with a red carpet laid out (with skid marks leading to the car). She has her legs over the door as if she's tried to get out but failed. A pair of make-up artists painting her toenails, while paparazzi are taking photos from behind the car.

If someone drew it it would look awesome. Maybe. Maybe just because I'm a little baked still.
it should be a ladder reaching upward, people clinging onto it and trying to push others off.

or something.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
How about the said bimbo climbing a ladder into a giant bottle of pills with a man in an expensive corporate suit dumping high ticket items into the pill bottle?

Paparazzi at the bottom snapping pics like mad?
POOPY-TRIM!
You could just do something really simple and have a broken ladder.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
What you need to do is ahve Wendy the hamburger girl sucking on Ronald McDonald's dick. Cause that bitch is just out to get famous because she's a gold digger, and Ronald rakes in the big bucks even though he makes bad hamburgers. If I was starving and dying the streets, I wouldn't eat one of those damn things. No sir, I'll take my money to the Dairy Queen, who is one classy bitch. She needs to be turning up her nose at Wendy for being such a gold digging *****.

You know what I'm saying? And then off to the side, have Grimace masturbating. Cause he can't get any cause he's a purple, moldy chicken mcnugget from the dawn of time.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
What you need to do is ahve Wendy the hamburger girl sucking on Ronald McDonald's dick. Cause that bitch is just out to get famous because she's a gold digger, and Ronald rakes in the big bucks even though he makes bad hamburgers. If I was starving and dying the streets, I wouldn't eat one of those damn things. No sir, I'll take my money to the Dairy Queen, who is one classy bitch. She needs to be turning up her nose at Wendy for being such a gold digging *****.

You know what I'm saying? And then off to the side, have Grimace masturbating. Cause he can't get any cause he's a purple, moldy chicken mcnugget from the dawn of time.

As for what you could do for your cover art, an artisitic shot of a mall or shopping centre could be quite good. Maybe if you edited the photo to make the place look less brightly lit and more dingy and oppressive it could work quite well. It shouldn't be too hard to pull off either if you have access to a professional photographer.

Although as far as other people's ideas go, I must admit I quite like the broken ladder idea although it doesn't fit with the album title exactly. I quite like simple, minimalistic album covers and I know that if I ever get round to making an album, the first cover I will use is a picture burning comb.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
How about having a hand, holding out money in a fan shape and setting them on fire.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
On the back you should have Hobo's drinking champagne and smoking cigars.
Quote by kaptink
On the back you should have Hobo's drinking champagne and smoking cigars.

Inspired by this:

Having a really fancy looking woman, really poshed up like an actress, lying in a dirty alley way in between bins (like a hobo) holding a sign that says "Will do anything for soul" or something?

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Crafter Cruiser bass
Quote by boreamor
Inspired by this:

Having a really fancy looking woman, really poshed up like an actress, lying in a dirty alley way in between bins (like a hobo) holding a sign that says "Will do anything for soul" or something?

Damn, thats pretty good. Do this one TS.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
What kind of music do you guys play?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by boreamor
Inspired by this:

This gets my vote
Quote by boreamor
Inspired by this:

i love this idea.
perhaps something other than "anything" on the sign, but it's an amazing idea. especially if its used along with the other idea with the homeless guys with champagne.

Quote by duncang
What kind of music do you guys play?

it's difficult to describe. it's kind of grungy, but also alternative-y...

we call it 'dirt', which is a pretty good description.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

pretty cool idea for album art
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Maybe have a variety of people from different backgrounds and social classes climb a ladder, and it is about to fall or break, and the cover is a scene of them as they, especially those that are higher up, realize their imminent doom.

If that made any sense.

EDIT: I actually like the one below me if you're going for something more simple.
Last edited by rootbeerjuice at Jul 26, 2009,
Snakes and ladders.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
grn day did it alreadyz lolol

edit:

^thats a damn good idea.
Last edited by #1 synth at Jul 26, 2009,
clearly boreamor's idea has commercial appeal!

this is great, though. keep them coming. for those of you that have listened to the songs on my profile, dont worry - the final version of the songs are much, much better than those. they were mid-production versions that i got from the producer to show some friends. my guitar hasnt even been added to one of them!
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Quote by instagata0
clearly boreamor's idea has commercial appeal!

this is great, though. keep them coming. for those of you that have listened to the songs on my profile, dont worry - the final version of the songs are much, much better than those. they were mid-production versions that i got from the producer to show some friends. my guitar hasnt even been added to one of them!

Oh ok. The singer sounds really disinterested though. I like the songs. Just curious, how are you going to sell the album? Is it going to be Australia wide, or just locally?
It would be amazing if you used my idea!

I'd like to listen to the album when you've done it, so will you stream a few songs on your profile?

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Crafter Cruiser bass
Quote by soulflyV
Oh ok. The singer sounds really disinterested though. I like the songs. Just curious, how are you going to sell the album? Is it going to be Australia wide, or just locally?

i think he found it really confronting. it's the first time we've gone to this length to record anything together. so when he was behind the glass and everyone was watching him, listening to everything, all that, he became a bit withdrawn. at gigs, he sounds pretty different. tends to scream more.

the final versions of the songs do sound a bit better, after we did some more takes and added backing vocals (i think only one song in my profile has backing vocals, and all of them are first-take for the lead vocals). but to be honest, the vocals didnt change that much. the rest of the instruments changed a lot more. it doesnt really bother me. it's different to how we usually sound, but i dont think it's bad. if i did, i would have insisted we do takes until he did it how he normally does it.

we're also debating how to release the album. i want to do it locally, but the other three in the band want to go nation-wide. i feel that we're just not well-known enough to benefit from putting our cd in stores in places where nobody has heard of us.

Quote by boreamor
It would be amazing if you used my idea!

I'd like to listen to the album when you've done it, so will you stream a few songs on your profile?

i'll upload as many of the finished songs to my profile as the others will let me. i want to put it up everywhere - torrents, limewire, youtube (we're also making plans for two music videos; one for milk maid, and the other for a song which isnt in my profile, the title track, pure hollywood).

i am all about getting our name out there, but the others all want to make money. which is fair enough, because it costs us zillions to make, but i see more benefit from long-term plans.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Quote by instagata0

i'll upload as many of the finished songs to my profile as the others will let me. i want to put it up everywhere - torrents, limewire, youtube (we're also making plans for two music videos; one for milk maid, and the other for a song which isnt in my profile, the title track, pure hollywood).

i am all about getting our name out there, but the others all want to make money. which is fair enough, because it costs us zillions to make, but i see more benefit from long-term plans.

That's a good idea for a first album. You're not going to make a huge amount of money off the first one if not enough people know you.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Crafter Cruiser bass
Quote by boreamor
That's a good idea for a first album. You're not going to make a huge amount of money off the first one if not enough people know you.

it's actually our third, but this is the one we've put the most effort into by far.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Quote by instagata0
it's actually our third, but this is the one we've put the most effort into by far.

Facepalm on my behalf here...

So how well known are you?

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Crafter Cruiser bass
Quote by boreamor
Facepalm on my behalf here...

So how well known are you?

locally we're not-not well known; i have people who i've never even heard of come up to me and are happy to meet me because of my band, but there are absolutely many, many more well-known bands than us.

nationally and internationally, we wouldnt even register.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Get Lars Ulrich to hold up a sign saying, "Will give head for credibility". Expensive, but probably worth it.
Have a man in a suit sitting outside a building (a business preferably, one with a big shop window) and have him put his head in his hands, as if he's crying/mourning. Make the photo black and white, all except for the business man, wearing a vividly coloured tie to offset the black suit and black and white background.

Obviously you can't have the name of the shop in the picture for the obvious legal reasons, but still, I think it'd be a cool idea.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by Le_Bunny
I think as a concept it's a bit cliched. That aside, perhaps you could do a simplistic image of a bunch of friends who look like tramps in a scungy place, looking calm and contented. That's the sort of angle I'd take, anyway.

this!
quit complaining, music never changed society.. or not in a good way anyway..

use this:

"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by will123456789
this!
quit complaining, music never changed society.. or not in a good way anyway..

well that was certainly unnecessary...
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Page 1 of 2