I know this is more of a PA amp, but anyway...

During a sound check, one of my buddies accidentally let the positive lead of an RCA connector (which was playing music from his iPod) touched the ground side of the actual speaker(it was exposed) when the amp is on with signal from input, and a loud hum was heard. However, it seems to work fine afterward.

I just want to ask everyone if it is possible for any damages to amplifer.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by Jestersage
I know this is more of a PA amp, but anyway...

During a sound check, one of my buddies accidentally let the positive lead of an RCA connector (which was playing music from his iPod) touched the ground side of the speaker, and a loud hum was heard. However, it seems to work fine afterward.

I just want to ask everyone if it is possible for any damages to amplifer.

Nooo. it should handle it... if you let it hum for a couple of hours then yes...... But this happens a lot, the amp can take it
So I remodified the question to show that the amplifier is actually on. However, if the answer also works when the amp is on, thanks.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
if its just a signal from an iPod, which isn't really loud, then it should be okay. Does it sounds like the sorta hum you get when you touch the end of a jack lead with your finger when it's not plugged into a guitar?

Surely if it works fine, nothing can be seriously damaged?
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Thanks for the replies. I guess it works fine.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
If it still works, there's either no damage or there's nothing you can do about it. I wouldn't worry about it.
I finally found out that there are some additional issues:

I found out his iPod (which for some reason was not touched for a while) no longer have output on his right side. I also found out that the PA no longer accept right input signals. Surprisingly, the right power amp still seems to work (We usually run it bridged).

As to why it was not discovered: It was THAT loud.

There you have it. Never let the positive lead of an RCA touch the ground of a speaker.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Aug 3, 2009,