so how do these things work? am i right in assuming i just buy a rack unit, plug my guitar in and then out to my amp or something? or is there a whole other load of stuff im missing out?

in other words, can i just buy a rack unit and just use it straight out the box?
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
^^ thanks for the info.
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Not to mention a midi board to control the effects. Might want to make sure your amp itself is also midi compatible, so you can control everything with one floorboard.

Not essential, but sure makes live playing easier.
WTLTL 2011
Is a dual recto midi controllable?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Nope.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
You can run it in front of your amp or through your effects loop. And if you are smart enough and have the right unit you can usually get them to control your amp channel sometimes although you may have to sacrifice some channels to get it working.
True, the Voodoo labs ground control has an optional audio switcher extension thing that can change the amp channels on non midi amps.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau