Apologies in advance if this is the wrong section of the forum to post this.

My friends and i had a debate the other night, basically on what pickups were on an Epiphone G400 guitar. My mate was adamant it had p90's, he insisted that a p90 pickup was nothing special, just your average pickup that is in almost every guitar. I disagreed.

Can anyone clear this up for me?? haha

Cheers,

Daz.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
G-400 has humbuckers like it says so on the website...

That's what i thought, but my mate was adamant that a p90 was a standard humbucker used on almost all guitars, even though it's a single coil pickup...
a P-90 is a large single coil pickup with a fatter tone than typical fender style single coils. they look like this:

although they can come in varying colours, and with side-mounts on the edge of the covers called "dog-ears".

there aren't so many guitars with P-90s - they require a different sized pickup route in the body which doesn't fit either the 'standardized' single coil or humbucker routes.

the epiphone G-400 comes stock fitted with humbuckers. Although epiphone do (or did? i think it's discontinued) make a les paul with P-90s and may have made an SG with them at some point too.

edit: oh you already know what a P-90 is - well perhaps you could show this to your friend then
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by sidekick_daz
That's what i thought, but my mate was adamant that a p90 was a standard humbucker used on almost all guitars, even though it's a single coil pickup...

Punch him in the face and tell him to stop giving you bad information
My Gear
03' MIM SunBurst Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard With Lace Alumitones
Epiphone PeeWee Les Paul
Starcaster By Fender
B-52 AT-112
Amplitube: Metal, Jimi Hendrix, Fender
Boss DS-1

Fav Bands: RHCP, Led Zep, ACDC, BLS, Slipknot
The epiphone g400 comes standard with 2 alnico 5 hummbucker classic pickups
the p 90 is an old pickup and has one coil the hummbucker has two I think they used to put em in the gibson les paul's in the 70's

I am sure about the g400 but dont quote me on the p90
Quote by paul1991
The epiphone g400 comes standard with 2 alnico 5 hummbucker classic pickups
the p 90 is an old pickup and has one coil the hummbucker has two I think they used to put em in the gibson les paul's in the 70's

I am sure about the g400 but dont quote me on the p90

the dark fire has a p90 in the neck position
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
P90s are very easy to recognize with their single row of pole pieces centered in the pickup. Your friend may be looking at a typical covered humbucker with its single row of pole pieces which are offset and thinking its a single coil. There are a few humbucker sized p90s, phat cats come to mind, out there that dont require special routing and use regular pickup rings but they dont come stock in any guitars I know of. Stock p90s are the soapbar like posted above or dogears, just a difference in how they mount, and rarely have any kind of pickup ring as they direct mount to the body.

If your friend is one of those who is always right and never wrong cut your losses as he will just argue the point until you give up and acknowledge hes correct.