that should be fine, but check if the processor in your laptop is fast enough to process the audio. Laptops can have problems with that. If its 2.0ghz or less id recommend getting a new computer.
Are you wanting to record professionally?
if you are, you should just get a pro tools setup, its used worldwide, every studio ive been to uses it. Ive recently bought it for my home computer and its friggin amazing
Quote by connorhxcchaos
that should be fine, but check if the processor in your laptop is fast enough to process the audio. Laptops can have problems with that. If its 2.0ghz or less id recommend getting a new computer.
Are you wanting to record professionally?
if you are, you should just get a pro tools setup, its used worldwide, every studio ive been to uses it. Ive recently bought it for my home computer and its friggin amazing

Yes it is used world wife, yes a lot of people use it, but don't assume you must use protools if you are going to start recording.

Reaper is an AMAZING (and cheap) way to break into recording

http://www.cockos.com/
^ i've personally found acid 7.0 to contain almost the same functionality as pro tools without the ridiculous price tag (its missing a lot of editing stuff that you probably wont need unless you plan on splicing 14 guitar tracks together for 1 verse) but i digress, that will work and i recommend further questions on recording go to the riffs and recording forum.
If I buy one of these, is this pretty much all I need to start basic recording?

I have mics, cables, and a laptop with sony acid pro, is this all I need?
You'll need an Audio Interface to actually get the sound into the laptop, unless you're planning on just using the built-in soundcard.

A lot of home recording setups are 'mixerless' in that they don't have a hardware mixer as it can be done with software.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
You'll have latency issues as pc's and laptops tend to function differently every day. Is there any way you could maybe get an M-audio interface? About 5ms of latency or less is what you'll get consistently, as well as awesome sound and little to no interference (depending on your pickups and earthing)