Hey guys,

recently me and a friend recorded a cover version of knocking on heaven's door with just an acoustic guitar and the vocals!

After mixing it all together and rendering it into a single mp3 I've found that it sounds a bit thin...I was wondering if you had any ideas to just fill out the mix a bit. At the moment there are 2 guitar tracks, one from a mic pointed about the 12th fret and another at the sound hole and a vocal track. No real effects used just a bit of EQing to remove some unwanted bass.

So, I was just wondering if you had any tips on what I could add to fill it out a bit...The song can be heard in my profile.

Oh, and just so you know, I'm using reaper.

Cheers guys
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
If you haven't already done it you could pan the two guitar track to opposite sides to create a wider stereo image, but be careful how wide it is as it could sound like a guitar 3 meters long. I often layer the vocals, maybe to a harmony on the chorus or you could try adding some strings to the track.
Hey, I've already panned the guitars...How would I go about adding strings? Is there a program you could recommend or something?
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

I don't know Reaper sorry, but Cubase, Acid Pro, Logic etc all have the ability to add MIDI. You are able to add a MIDI track and choose a violin or cello etc and draw the notes in (if you don't have a MIDI keyboard), which could fill out your track a bit.
Perhaps you removed too much bass?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Hey, of those programs you mentioned which would you recommend? I only use Reaper because it was free and people round here seem to like it, but a music teacher at my old school has an educational license that he's allowed to give out to students for pretty much every program under the sun...Also, am I right in thinking that logic is mac only?

Oh, and Sleaze, the bass I removed wasn't really to alter the guitars, but I just dropped the real low end because the first strum on some of the chords was causing popping and I couldn't find my pop filter at the time.......

use a vsti for the strings if you want to add them in

www.dskmusic.com
has some great free ones.

reaper is morethan capable of handling this sort of thing. it even has a built in program that turns the comp keyboard into a piano keyboard sort of thing which allows for real time playign of the instruments.

I would also add ____________ for a bigger fuller sound:
1) another guitar track
2) vocal harmonies
3) bass track, acoustic or electric
4) strings (cello, violin, whatever)
5) percussion (drum set, tap on crap, again whatever)

then again all of these things will most likely take away from the simplicity that you may have orrig been going for.

double set tracks and pan them
add reverb
add a stereo program
bring back a bit of bass
punch a kid in the face
jk about that last one

have fun and experiment with it, I would start a new file on the comp of the same project but just use it as a different mix but save the orrig.

-Ryan
Quote by Jared R. Boyd
use a vsti for the strings if you want to add them in

www.dskmusic.com
has some great free ones.

reaper is morethan capable of handling this sort of thing. it even has a built in program that turns the comp keyboard into a piano keyboard sort of thing which allows for real time playign of the instruments.

I would also add ____________ for a bigger fuller sound:
1) another guitar track
2) vocal harmonies
3) bass track, acoustic or electric
4) strings (cello, violin, whatever)
5) percussion (drum set, tap on crap, again whatever)

then again all of these things will most likely take away from the simplicity that you may have orrig been going for.

double set tracks and pan them
add reverb
add a stereo program
bring back a bit of bass
punch a kid in the face
jk about that last one

have fun and experiment with it, I would start a new file on the comp of the same project but just use it as a different mix but save the orrig.

-Ryan

Hey, thanks loads man! That was a really informative and useful post!

Also, I never knew about that thing that turns the keyboard into a piano-ish thing...where is that?

And I'll check out that site, cheers!

any time man.

to get the keyboard open you:
1) open reaper
2) click view in the head bar at the top of the screen
3) go down to show virtual keyboard
4) then set a channel to midi > virtual keyboard
5) load a vsti
6) play away

and to answer an earlier question,
yes logic is mac only

-Ryan
Thanks again guys!

I've had a go with the virtual keyboard, it's pretty handy, thanks!

And I will try and add a bit of reverb and I didn't compress them at all, I know a lot of people (including you) that know a lot more than me that told me not to...so I didn't!

I listened to this track again, and the main reason, i'm thinking, that this sounds "hollow" or "empty" is because of the vocals.
the guitar itself sounds just fine, but the vocals are not sitting in them right.
reverb and eq the vocals. maybe drop the level on them just a tad.
as of right now, they are too in your face i suppose, they pop out of the mix into the front.

im glad that the keyboard is working out for you!

good luck
-Ryan
Hey guys, I've re-done the mix (reverb and put some bass back into guitars, reverb, de-ess, compression, EQ and tape saturation on vocals and added some choir "oohs" into the chorus)...can you have a re-listen and let me know what you think?

Thanks again for all your help!