Page 1 of 4
ok im 12 years old so i have loads of time to improve.

I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now and my friend, who everyone knows for sitting in the music room with a guitar during breaks at school, said that he could do the highway star solo, and he was saying how freaking crazy it is and stuff.

Well i thought this guy was like 10X better than me, and if he thought it was crazy then it probably was, but i came home, tried to learnt it, and i learned to play it quite clean within about 3 hours. I know some other reasonably hard songs as well.

Do you think i have some talent mabye for the future considering im 12? Im in a band and have written some songs.
strat0blaster: Wait.... it was either I can PLAY eruption with my penis or I can HAVE eruptions from my penis...
According to your profile you're 15.

Anywho...keep on practicing, stay in school, don't do drugs and don't die before you're famous, that's all.
What is your objective with this? Brag that you started playing guitar early and will be a rockstar? Talent without skill means nothing.
Quote by deHufter
According to your profile you're 15.
He probably lied because you have to be at least 13 to be allowed on UG. Or he mistyped 5 as 2

@greenhound, practice practice practice. Talent is useless if you don't put some effort into developing it.
Last edited by Nietsche at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by symba05
What is your objective with this? Brag that you started playing guitar early and will be a rockstar? Talent without skill means nothing.

I find that skill without talent also doesn't go anywhere if that makes sense. Some people can naturally put on a good show and all that, others don't. You'll find out later if you can "make it" or not.
Quote by Nietsche
He probably lied because you have to be at least 13 to be allowed on UG.

There's a minimum age for UG?
Quote by deHufter
There's a minimum age for UG?
Yep
PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY PRIOR TO USING THE SERVICE. BY REGISTERING FOR, USING OR OTHERWISE ACCESSING THE SERVICE, OR ANY COMPONENT THEREOF, IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BECOME A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT AND AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY AND COMPLY WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS HEREIN. THE SERVICE IS OFFERED AND MADE AVAILABLE ONLY TO USERS 13 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER. IF YOU ARE NOT YET 13 YEARS OLD, PLEASE DISCONTINUE USING THE SERVICE IMMEDIATELY
(Sorry for all caps but i couldn't be bothered typing it out myself
No you don't.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Why do people ask this question?
Seriously.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by ripjoestrummer
I find that skill without talent also doesn't go anywhere if that makes sense. Some people can naturally put on a good show and all that, others don't. You'll find out later if you can "make it" or not.

The thing is everybody has talent, but your talent is going to fail you if you're not skilled. Talent is the most misconceived concept ever. You don't need talent to put on a good show, you need band practice, knowing your audience and watching professional bands as well.
If you stick with it and practice well then you will reach your guitar playing goals. However, don't practice guitar just to say you are better than someone else, music is not meant to be a competition.
Quote by greenhound

I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now and my friend, who everyone knows for sitting in the music room with a guitar during breaks at school, said that he could do the highway star solo, and he was saying how freaking crazy it is and stuff.

Well i thought this guy was like 10X better than me, and if he thought it was crazy then it probably was, but i came home, tried to learnt it, and i learned to play it quite clean within about 3 hours. I know some other reasonably hard songs as well.

Do you think i have some talent mabye for the future considering im 12? Im in a band and have written some songs.

Wow, that's amazing, pat yourself on the back, you are incredibly talented.

Now, if you're actually into music, start focusing on that instead of how talented you are.
I think most people would rather hear you play highway star, than brag about it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 26, 2009,
Theres no such thing as talent, 'talent' is just the amount of work you put in and experience you get.
Quote by griffRG7321
Theres no such thing as talent, 'talent' is just the amount of work you put in and experience you get.

Well, that's not exactly true. Talent does exist. I agree though, that the amount of work you put in, and the experience you get, ARE very important factors.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by griffRG7321
Yeah, that's not even a little bit true. Hard work + some talent >> very talented + lazy, but there's inherent talent.
HAHA, no... I don't! You might get some where if you stop worrying about how good you/others think you are and starting playing at least 30mins everyday for the rest of your life... that might get you somewhere! But wasting time on the computer, trying to pull off some sly sneaky bragging in the form of a question, will get you nowhere!

"I can play all little wing, forwards AND backwards, and cover every tommy emmanuel, yngwie, hendrix song known to man.......but I'm only 11, is I's gonna be FAMOUS?!?!?"

For real, not really, and if you're twelve, you're going to get banned, and if you're lying... than you'll probably get banned anyways.

People like: John Frusciante, Tommy Emmanuel... and many others, all were average guitarist... no prodigies or anything. They just put time into it! Tommies been playing for 45 years... no wonder he's good! And John's been playing for 30 some odd years! Very few people in this world have natural talent when it comes to things... they just have patience and work hard Thats what YOU need :P
Last edited by fngrstylgtr at Jul 26, 2009,
"Last christmas i got an acoustic guitar and i got lessons at school but i improved beyond my class"

Wows, definately sounds like an inflatted ego on this guy! Seriously though, quit trying to brag and play some guitar!
Seems to be 12....

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14034876#post14034876

Like a normal 11/12 year old, has difficulty with the F chord....

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14035259#post14035259

A developing player looking for validation:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14393885#post14393885

Tends to use arrogance as a form of gaining validation from peers:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16937611#post16937611
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18955458#post18955458

... can play Metallica solos, but not an F chord... weird....

Writes songs called "Made out with a Hobo" - continuing to seek validation, and demonstrating basically typical development of an 11/12 year old.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20730643#post20730643

Advice - keep practicing. Be proud of your successes and accomplishments. But for heaven's sake... keep your head in check, and stay grounded. Even when you become an experienced player, people will only want to play with you if you are the kind of *person* they want to play with.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Seems to be 12....

Writes songs called "Made out with a Hobo" - continuing to seek validation, and demonstrating basically typical development of an 11/12 year old.

Advice - keep practicing. Be proud of your successes and accomplishments. But for heaven's sake... keep your head in check, and stay grounded. Even when you become an experienced player, people will only want to play with you if you are the kind of *person* they want to play with.

CT

+ 135474578458569
Quote by greenhound

Yes... but take a backseat on the seeking approval. It really is hazardous to your health, and at 12, u may get a stroke at 15 if you don't keep it in check. Play for enjoyment and forget about competition (you learn the hard way when your friend dies)
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yeah, that's not even a little bit true. Hard work + some talent >> very talented + lazy, but there's inherent talent.

theres no guitar playing gene. you cannot have inherent talent. besides, one does not pass on skills they acquire in their life to their offspring. there are however certain traits that may lend yourself to certain tasks. talent is just being able to do something well. even if you pick it up faster than someone else you still didnt just pick up the guitar and knew what to do. it takes muscle memory, which takes time to build. you are not born with muscle memory. that being said, some people may be a little more wired to have a more musical mind or maybe a good ear. but i wouldnt really call that talent because again, that would just mean you learn faster...but you still need to develop.

anyway, TS, you can say anything you want but that doesnt really mean much. i mean, you say you played it clean but how do i actually know that? i can say im faster than shawn lane but that means nothing.
At TS:
listen to axemanchris, even though it's harsh criticism, it's for your own good.
Be very honest to yourself, that's the key. Do you really think what you wrote/played sounds good (especially when you compare that to songs that you like)?
If your conscience answers yes then you know you are good. We could pan you or advise you. But to take or reject our advice/criticism is solely upto you. You are the best critic for yourself.
Last edited by edgarvanburen at Jul 26, 2009,
Well... @TS - You're better than I was at that age, if that's any consolation.

You're not knocking my socks off with your talent, but as I say, be really careful about over-stating yourself and getting an inflated sense of what you can do, and presenting yourself as more than you might be. When people hear the real thing, they're disappointed.

OTOH, if you UNDERstate yourself a bit, then when people hear you play, they'll be like "Wow! You ARE learning really well!!"

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Lol @ bashing a 12 year old

Why so serious?

This kid will forget this thread within like a few days.

On the talent thing, it does indeed exist.

"Talented people" notice things like for example string noise faster, or know what a song needs to get most out of it, in terms of popularity.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx

"Talented people" notice things like for example string noise faster, or know what a song needs to get most out of it, in terms of popularity.

That's just called listening to what you're playing and being smart.
I had to laugh at some of the replies in this and the kid's other threads loooool
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
I just wanna point out (or ifs its been stated already, reiterate) that regardless of how technically talented you are and how well you can cover other people's solos and the like, you won't go far if you can't write or contribute to songs or work well with other musicians in a band setting. Whilst covers bands do exist and earn reasonable money, they don't 'go far' (at least in your ideas of the phrase).

Technical talent is useless without the ability to 'gel' with other musicians or write songs im afraid.

db
Quote by axemanchris
Seems to be 12....

CT

you sir have made my day, my kudos goes to you
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Axemanchris, that was awesome. I don't think I could type +1 enough times to cover it.

On topic, I don't believe you. It sounds like you're being cocky, Greenhound. Your playing might be decent, but it might not be. Prove you're good (by which I mean take some time and get as close to a perfect take with the best recording equipment you have) or don't try to brag about it. I could play the solo from One before I was done with my first year of playing - I was learning 5-string sweeps (including the theory behind them) and had a solid background in music theory by that point. But I wasn't so skilled at any of those things that I felt a need to brag childishly about it. If you need validation, ask your parents. They'll give you the loving "Of course you will" answers we won't.
No such thing as musical talent. You either practice or you don't. If you carry on practicing then yeah you'll probably be good in a few years, if you don't you'll be tosh.
+1 to everything in this thread. i know the TS won't be back but i hope he stops trying to seek validation from people online and instead continues to play guitar in that time.
Quote by Ikonoklast
No such thing as musical talent. You either practice or you don't. If you carry on practicing then yeah you'll probably be good in a few years, if you don't you'll be tosh.

+1
Quote by griffRG7321
That's just called listening to what you're playing and being smart.

But not everyone has the ability to naturally do this, thus I call it a talent.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
But not everyone has the ability to naturally do this, thus I call it a talent.
That's true actually. There are a number of people who simply don't have the aptitude to play guitar. But among the people who do any innate talent is made null by enough practice
Quote by xxDarrenxx
Lol @ bashing a 12 year old

Why so serious?

This kid will forget this thread within like a few days.
Strictly speaking he should have been banned for not being old enough to sign up to the T&C
Last edited by Nietsche at Jul 27, 2009,
Musical talent is real, and you are stupid if you think otherwise. I don't practice piano more than a half hour a day three times a week and I'm better than my friend who has taken just as long as I have who practices two hours every day.

That's not to say that talent is an excuse to not practice or anything. I'm just saying talent does exist.
^^^

Calling people stupid for not agreeing with you (about something that can't be proven, no less) makes you seem like an ass.
Page 1 of 4