ok i'm getting bored and i a project to work do to budget restrictions i decided artwork, but i hate doing pointless paintings on paper, so i decided, wth i'll paint my guitar. Now here come the questions is there any way to paint on top of the current finish without roughing it up, what type of paint shoud i use and how do u make it as durable as possible. It's a 15 dollar acoustic from mexico so i'm not to terribly worried about it but i want it to last, so do i paint of the painting with a clear coat or what?
i'll post pitures of the artwork and guitar.
rough up the current finish with low grit sand paper, paint, sand with high grits, one coat of clear, sand with 200, one coat of clear, sand with 500, one coat of clear, sand with 1000, and so on.

You should end up with 6-10 coats of clear.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
ok figured it out thanks....
here is the guitar

here is the painting that goes on the front, btw what is black will be white or a shade of gray

here is what is going on the back

these are the schetches i'm basing them on, i'll post pics of the final whenever i do it, thanks for the help guys
Last edited by wreck1819 at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by Emoishboy
rough up the current finish with low grit sand paper, paint, sand with high grits, one coat of clear, sand with 200, one coat of clear, sand with 500, one coat of clear, sand with 1000, and so on.

You should end up with 6-10 coats of clear.

yea but what tye of paint acrylic, tempra does it matter? and is there a way to do it with out f'ing up the current finish
Quote by wreck1819
damn.... how do i upload pictures on this thing, it says it to large, is there an easier way? lol sorry but im a noob at this type of stuff

Create a photobucket account, upload them there, and then use the tags. Example: [.IMG]http://www.website.com/picture.jpg[/.IMG] (no dots in the tags)

yea but what tye of paint acrylic, tempra does it matter? and is there a way to do it with out f'ing up the current finish

There is no way to repaint a guitar without roughing up the current finish. If you try to just pain over what's there, the paint won't stick.
RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
February 10, 1981 - December 28, 2009

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Questions? IM me (check my profile)

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!
Quote by Explicit User
^ /thread

In your opinion....

Right OP.

So you have a $15 acoustic that means a great deal to you. I imagine you have done nothing but play this thing since you acquired it, casting all other learning aside, how to read and write and so on...and now you want to make as much of an impression on the guitar, as it has on you.

As has been stated, there is no easy way to paint a guitar, without doing something to the original finish.

If you want to do this on the cheap, then I suggest you scuff the guitar, with P600 paper on a block (wet if possible).

This will give you a smooth finish, but with enough "grip" for the new paint to adhere.

Paint your design on it, then clear over that with spray lacquer, or if you like, use a clear varnish. The clear varnish will build a thick layer, fast. You can then wet sand this starting with P1200 wet and dry paper on a block, and wet...then go up to P2000, then buff it out and wax it.

Mirror finish over your artwork.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!