I just noticed that I have a lot of skin flaking off my fingers (fretting fingers), and none of my other guitarist friends have this issue, also, I find it necessary to scrape the underside of my strings occasionally due to excessive build up of skin residue. Is this normal? My camera is really low quality so the flakes don't show up. My callouses also rip regularly.

I'm not sure if this is normal, but if its not, I'm gonna go see a doctor.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
use some moisturizer
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
I'd post a pic of my fingers but I'm too lazy :/ but anyways, it's perfectly normal, your fingers can get pretty chewed up. Nothing to worry about man, happens to everyone.
I had times my fretting fingers just started bleeding splattering all over my fretboard.

I just thought it was metal and continued playing
its not NORMAL, but its fairly common. whatever you do, stop playing when your fingers begin to bleed. take a break.
“Baaaaabe,baaaaabe,baaaabe....”
~ Robert plant on being asked what his favorite food was

~ Robert Plant at his Grammy acceptance speech

~ Robert Plant all the time
for them to flakes yes, bledding deffinatly no.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by guitar*guy
its not NORMAL, but its fairly common. whatever you do, stop playing when your fingers begin to bleed. take a break.

Bleeding is not that bad... but when your hands start cramping up badly and you keep playin you can seriously damage the muscles in your hand and arms
Yeah, same happens to me. Especially with acoustic strings because they are thicker and a bit more rough than electric, for the most part.

So you're fine.
Quote by Antis0cial
Bleeding is not that bad... but when your hands start cramping up badly and you keep playin you can seriously damage the muscles in your hand and arms

My hands always hurt the second day after playing. Is this serious?
yea thats nothin to worry about, let your fingers rest a bit, and go easy on them so they can heal a bit. one time i guess i was playing too much and my middle fretting finger got a horrible bruise and i couldn't even play **** with that finger for a week. just don't push yourself when this kinda stuff happens
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
When you hit the bone, you got a problem.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
I generally find that if I play more (at least half an hour of serious playing a day) it doesn't happen so much. It does still happen periodically on my middle and ring fingers though.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
totally normal. I only stop playing if i feel like im gonna bleed or if i have a bruised or burned finger.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
yes this is normal if you play guitar a lot... especially if you get you're fingers wet and then play. it should stop after awhile and its also normal for the strings to get dirt and stuff on them. the thinner the strings the quicker they get dirty and break. good luck playing.
Maybe you use too thick strings, or you fret improperly, I never had that happen to me since I use .10's and I put lotion on my hands all the time since I hate the feeling of dried hands.
Quote by BobDetroit
This thread is making me kind of urpy..
Really? Because its making me hungry.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
My hands always hurt the second day after playing. Is this serious?

That is kinda strange... Don't know if its really bad though, but try loosening your muscles when your playing(both in your hands and arms) if it doesn't hurt anymore..... you were doing something wrong