This is kinda off topic, but some of you guys do some killer work.

I'm looking to achieve a color simular to theese.
Deep orange no burst
Deep Orange

I'm refinishing one of my pool cues. Heres what i'm working with. Grey stained BEM with simple inlays. The color was very simular to this one.
Orginal Color

I have the clearcoat off and sanded down to where only the grain is still dyed dark grey/black. Do i need to sand more down? Will the dark color work underneath the orange? Or should i think about a different color? Where can i get dye to get close to that deep orange? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments:
IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG
05 ESP LTD EC-400AT
EMG 81/85
Bone nut

05 Ibanez S470 DQXM
stock for now
Quote by fatsix
This is kinda off topic, but some of you guys do some killer work.

I'm looking to achieve a color simular to theese.
Deep orange no burst
Deep Orange

I'm refinishing one of my pool cues. Heres what i'm working with. Grey stained BEM with simple inlays. The color was very simular to this one.
Orginal Color

I have the clearcoat off and sanded down to where only the grain is still dyed dark grey/black. Do i need to sand more down? Will the dark color work underneath the orange? Or should i think about a different color? Where can i get dye to get close to that deep orange? Any help is greatly appreciated.

So you just want to stain the wood part of the cue and then clear over it again yes?

Not sure what part of the world you are in, so I cant comment on where to get dyes, but.

I am willing to bet that the finish on those guitars, is candy paint, not stain. That is why the finish is "Deep".

You could do the same, but you will need spray kit.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Its stain or dye. This is straight from the carvin link i posted.

The first step is to stain the body with a color ranging from umber to black (depending on the final color ordered), and then sand the finish off, leaving dark highlights in the wood grain. Then the proper stain coat is hand-applied, which varies depending on the final color. Last, the top translucent color is applied, and finished with clear gloss. The end result is a stunning, deep finish unlike the finishes seen on most guitars.

Since i started with a dark grey/black and sanded it off, i should be completed the first step. Not sure if i need to sand more. Plus I'm not positive which stains i need to use or mix. Can i achieve this shade with the products from reranch. I'm located in the US, so i should be able to order the correct supplies.
05 ESP LTD EC-400AT
EMG 81/85
Bone nut

05 Ibanez S470 DQXM
stock for now
have you read the painting/re-finishing thread at the top of the page? ask your questions in there and you should get a lot more help.

besides, people sometimes get pissed when you ask these questions outside of that thread lol

here's the link if you want it
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by fatsix
Its stain or dye. This is straight from the carvin link i posted.

The first step is to stain the body with a color ranging from umber to black (depending on the final color ordered), and then sand the finish off, leaving dark highlights in the wood grain. Then the proper stain coat is hand-applied, which varies depending on the final color. Last, the top translucent color is applied, and finished with clear gloss. The end result is a stunning, deep finish unlike the finishes seen on most guitars.

Since i started with a dark grey/black and sanded it off, i should be completed the first step. Not sure if i need to sand more. Plus I'm not positive which stains i need to use or mix. Can i achieve this shade with the products from reranch. I'm located in the US, so i should be able to order the correct supplies.

That bit in bold...Kandy mate

Get in the finishing thread and see if Ippon can help you with the stains...he is your side of the water.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
just need help with the finding the color....
05 ESP LTD EC-400AT
EMG 81/85
Bone nut

05 Ibanez S470 DQXM
stock for now