Hey guys. I've been playing for about a year, and I'm starting to see how my starting guitar is not too great. I've been looking at other guitars, and I've settled that I probably want something like Schecter C-1, or something in that price range by Schecter.

What I want to do with this new guitar is have it set up with a different tuning. My current guitar is set up with standard tuning. However, most of what I play is either a half step down, or more commonly a whole step down. So I'm having troubling deciding between the two. So I've been thinking of different ways to somehow incorporate both tunings into one guitar, and the pros and cons of it. My Ideas so far are:

Get it set up for half step down, capo the first fret for standard, then sell my current guitar which would leave more money for me to get a nicer guitar, or a better amp. This would leave me without the full step down tuning like I want though. So i was wondering if it was possible to have it set up for a half step down, but get heavier gauge strings than are normally on a guitar at that tuning. If I did this, would I be able to switch between the two tunings without having to adjust the truss rod or action?

Get it set up for whole step down. Capo first fret for half step down tuning, however I would have to keep my current guitar for standard tuning, which means I would have to get a slightly nicer guitar, or wait longer to get a new guitar.

I know this is pretty long, but It helped me to organize my thoughts. And if you think that both of my ideas are bad, give me some reason as to why I shouldn't do either, or why I should do something completely different.

Thanks in advance.
if you're capoing the first fret for half-step down, couldnt you just capo the second fret for standard?
Quote by scl52
if you're capoing the first fret for half-step down, couldnt you just capo the second fret for standard?

Well I thought about this. But for me, it would be a little difficult moving everything a whole step, so what I'll probably just do is not capo anything to get standard, and just keep my guitar thats currently in standard.
Why can't you just change the tuning when you need to? You don't need to buy a new guitar for each tuning. But if that's what you want to do then I think scl52 has the right idea.
Quote by rhcpfan93
Why can't you just change the tuning when you need to? You don't need to buy a new guitar for each tuning. But if that's what you want to do then I think scl52 has the right idea.

Well thats just it, you need to have a new guitar for each tuning. First of all, the lower the tuning the higher gauge strings you need. Second of all, as far as I know changing the tuning of your guitar causes problems with the bridge, resulting in a changing of the action. So, Tuning down a half step is not bad, but I want to know if I should get thicker gauge strings and get it a half step down, then just tune it down a half step when I need it. Do many of you do this?
Quote by Kryaxysa
Well thats just it, you need to have a new guitar for each tuning. First of all, the lower the tuning the higher gauge strings you need. Second of all, as far as I know changing the tuning of your guitar causes problems with the bridge, resulting in a changing of the action. So, Tuning down a half step is not bad, but I want to know if I should get thicker gauge strings and get it a half step down, then just tune it down a half step when I need it. Do many of you do this?

A whole step down shouldn't require strings that are too thick for standard. Also the bridge would only get messed up if it was a floating trem generally. Fixed bridges or strat style trems shouldn't really be affected. The intonation would be slightly out, but it's not a huge issue.

I often tune my acoutic a whole step down, it's got .12s on it. I reckon you could get away with .11s on an electric.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Sampy
A whole step down shouldn't require strings that are too thick for standard. Also the bridge would only get messed up if it was a floating trem generally. Fixed bridges or strat style trems shouldn't really be affected. The intonation would be slightly out, but it's not a huge issue.

I often tune my acoutic a whole step down, it's got .12s on it. I reckon you could get away with .11s on an electric.

So you're saying I should just get it tuned to standard with heavier gauge strings so I can go down a full step? If this would work I would do this.