Hello All,

I am considering purchasing a JCM 2000 head. What is the difference between the JCM 800, 900 and 2000?
Voicing. What kinds of music do you play, what's your budget, are in you a band/gig?
I play mostly Heavy Metal...I own a USA Jackson SL2H, and I dabble in different bands, but I mostly play at home these days
800 is midrangey and crnchy with good gain for hard rock, really loud.
900 has a similar voicing, is brighter, and has more gain.
2000 has a bit more gain than the 900, a scooped midrange, and more bottom end.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
2000's generally have a more tone control as each section is detailed depending on what type of "lead" 2000 you get. 900 and 800's are almost like peas in a pod, 800's are simple to use and usually have the high and low sensitivity inputs for dist and clean, and 900's have proper channels for that and are a fair bit brighter. I love the 900's and 800's equally.
are the differences very noticeable between the 900 and 2000? I think the 800 is too vintage for my tastes
What kind of heavy metal do you play? Also, why are you looking at Marshalls?
Always was a marshall man- I owned a 250dfx for a long time and always enjoyed it. Now its time for a tube upgrade, and I would like something from the JCM family. I play mostly thrash (metallica), some prog (dream theater), maiden, priest, stuff like that
Quote by Richmanofaction
are the differences very noticeable between the 900 and 2000? I think the 800 is too vintage for my tastes

Slayer plays JCM800's, as does Zakk Wylde.
Some shredders like Vai and Satch used 900's.
Trivium played on 2000's for a while.
Yes, the differences are immensely noticeable between the 900 and 2000.

For versatility, I'd recommend a 900 (research the different types), and get an EQ pedal and maybe an OD too, to make it as brutal as you want while still being able to achieve those lower gain metal tones.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 26, 2009,
Does the 800 have a good gain at lower volumes? Ha sorry for all the questions, its just a big purchase and I don't want to muck it up
Quote by Richmanofaction
Does the 800 have a good gain at lower volumes? Ha sorry for all the questions, its just a big purchase and I don't want to muck it up

Ehh, most Marshall's really shine when they are cranked
Quote by Richmanofaction

JCM800's don't do lower volumes

I'd push your money out a bit and go for JVM if I were you.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I'd say the 2000 is a bit more versatile. Like if you turn down the Gain on the clean channel, it becomes a lot brighter like a Fender amp. But I don't know, the 800 probably sounds nicer.
i would go for the 900 personally. It has a more modern sound and is much higher gain than the 800. It's also more versatile. With the 800, you really don't get a clean channel. You have to learn to use the volume knobs on your guitar, which isn't a hard thing to do, but some people prefer separate channels.

the 900 has great cleans and has really good distortion. To tell you the truth though, any amp that you get in this price range is gonna sound really good when you crank it. It's just a matter of personal preference.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by Richmanofaction
That is awesome- Thank you,

and thanks to everyone else!

just keep in mind that chart is highly subjective to that person's opinion and taste
It's all about feel
If you want good gain at low volumes, get a Randall RM50 or RM100 and load it with EL34 power tubes, and use the Marshall voiced modules (SL+, Plexi, Brahma, JTM). The SL+ covers the territory of all three of the aforementioned amps, and because of the nature of the amp, it has great tones at lower volumes (as you have a volume control for each channel, and the master volume).

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Slayer plays JCM800's, as does Zakk Wylde.
Some shredders like Vai and Satch used 900's.
Trivium played on 2000's for a while.
Yes, the differences are immensely noticeable between the 900 and 2000.

For versatility, I'd recommend a 900 (research the different types), and get an EQ pedal and maybe an OD too, to make it as brutal as you want while still being able to achieve those lower gain metal tones.

+1
Quote by Richmanofaction
They seem hard to find... are they a rarer mode of the 900 line?

Kind of. My GC has one in stock right now, you could see if they can ship it (some stores do, others don't). I live in Las Vegas btw.
I would try them. I like the early JCM800s 2203/2204s and the JCM2000 DSL 100/50 amps a lot more than JCM900, but that might not be true for everyone.

Truth be told I kind of like the DSLs more than most JCM800s as well.