Are these guitars any good? There's on for pretty cheap on my craigslist.... how much are they worth?
Hmmm stupid ass craigslist people never include a picture of the back of the headstock..

However, the SF420 apparently is rare in the states, and hardtail S-series are rare at that. If the price is low enough... I don't think you can go wrong. I'd grab it. From the looks of the pics it looks like it has v7/v8 pups which are pretty nice for stock.

However... I think it has the viper neck...while most Sseries usually sport a variation of the wizard. Again this is a pretty unconventional thing... overall a rareish guitar you don't see everyday, if it really is a SF420.

I would ask for headstock pics to be sure..
Last edited by Zamorak at Jul 27, 2009,
IF you really want better info i'd post on the ibanez forum... they know a lot more than me.
Quote by kaossurge
How much are they worth/I should be expecting to pay?

I'd pay two hundred. If memory serves (as it usually does), the 420s were Korean unlike the Japanese 470s. The overall quality of the early Korean Ibanez is nothing to brag about, the pickups would be the horrid powersounds, and the thing has no vintage value in the long run. In addition, the S is generally valued for its trem lineup, and even the Fujigen SFs can be had for peanuts, as rare as they are.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
I'd pay two hundred. If memory serves (as it usually does), the 420s were Korean unlike the Japanese 470s. The overall quality of the early Korean Ibanez is nothing to brag about, the pickups would be the horrid powersounds, and the thing has no vintage value in the long run. In addition, the S is generally valued for its trem lineup, and even the Fujigen SFs can be had for peanuts, as rare as they are.

So it's not worth getting say over a new lower end new rg series?
Quote by kaossurge
So it's not worth getting say over a new lower end new rg series?

That's like asking if you'd rather be stabbed with a rusted knife or a spork. But I'd pick a newer fixed bridge RG.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
These guitars are awesome. I have an SF420FM and it's the main guitar I use right now.

And I get nothing but compliments on it. I wouldn't spend more than $200 on it although I see them for $300 (I traded a Jackson I bought for $200 for one of these)

Your headstock doesn't match the color of the body so that's weird. And the finish on that looks like crap ... they look a lot better with a flamed maple top...

Seriously, get this over a low end RG. All you're gonna get is a ****ty trem with a low end RG ^^ oh yeah or a fixed bridge RG would suit you well. And the neck is thicker than a Wizard II, but feels awesome.

They were only made for the first half of 1996 I believe. Pretty rare as I haven't seen anybody with my guitar yet. And I always get compliments it. I've brought it to guys that have been in the guitar biz for a while and they have nothing but good things to say about it.

It's my main axe atm. Blues, jazz, metal and everything else... plays like butter .. then again I set it up to melt butter .. so