Okay so I am leaving for Denmark in 3 weeks and as a gift I can get a good new guitar. I am think between Gretsch G5235T or a Gibson Les Paul.
or

I like the Les Paul a lot. However I like the Gretsch as well. Can people says Pros and Cons of each? I am looking for a Pink Floyd, David Gilmour style of sound. I prefer the Gretsch because of 2 reasons:
1) It looks more unique to me
2) It is cheaper and I have a crappy amp, so if I get a Gretsch I could get a good amp as well. If I get a Gibson then I will have to wait some time to get an amp. : )

What you think? : )
Grestch.
Great quality, almost better than Gibsons.
The solid bodies have a great sound and is very flexible. Go for the Grestch!
Well I am leaning there as well. But can you tell me are the humbuckers replaceable? Also does a b7 with there cause the b5 looks a little retarded. : )
all of the low end gretches that ive played are complete ****.

but then again you really do have to try a bunch of guitars out before you buy the one you know? if its a possibilty go to the store and try the same modeled guitars till you find one thats perfect. goes for either brand.
Where I come from now currently our shop has a couple of epi, cgiant and vision and 1 Mexican strat which costs 1000$ so you get the picture. : ) My friend played a Gretsch and he said that it is one hell of a guitar. : )
I'm sorry but I can't tell you anything about Grestch electronics. I've played a few but I haven't bought one.

I like the sound of electromatics... Grestch 5122 double cutaway semi-hollow body comes to mind.
I don`t want a hollow body with f holes. : ) Searching for a solid body and as I said above Gilmourish sound. : )
If you want a Gilmour-like sound, get a Strat.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Don`t really want one. Besides I read somewhere that during his "On An Island" recording he preferred hes Gretsch and Gibson over hes strat due to neck problems and also he stated that the Gibson Les Paul is more versatile then the strat.
I think semi-hollows are quite attractive. I'll be getting a Gretsch semi-hollow body for some great jazz sounds...

But I would much rather get a Rickenbacker... eh...

I like the feel and sound of Gretsch guitars. The G5135 Electromatic Corvette is my favorite. I also like the Electromatic Pro Jet with Bigsby
I have a Klira made in Germany 1960 Triumphator Electric semi acoustic guitar, it is similar to an Epiphone DOT. : ) It is really good. : ) So back on the topic, out of those 2 guitars, could you tell the good/bad points of them. : ) thank you : )
You won't get no Gilmour sound in an les paul type guitar... Strat is better...
Em,but isnt Gilmour using a Les Paul? Ot kinda appears on the poster, and also he plays it during "Remember that Night" concert. Don`t know why I do not want a strat. : <
Quote by Mekon
Em,but isnt Gilmour using a Les Paul? Ot kinda appears on the poster, and also he plays it during "Remember that Night" concert. Don`t know why I do not want a strat. : <

link?

Heres the poster. Download the concert and look for yourself and you will see him using it. And I do not remember what site it was where I read that it was 2 months ago but look here:
http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=133

Guitars
- David pictured at home with his two main guitars for the album and tour; the Black Strat (left) and a ‘56 Gibson Goldtop with Bigsby (right).

Here you are. : )

EDIT:
Also
http://www.davidgilmour.com/faqsPhil.htm

Which guitars did David use on his new album?
— He used a Les Paul on several tracks on the On An Island album, as well as various Fender Strats, a Gretsch Duo Jet (left), several acoustic and lap steel guitars.
Last edited by Mekon at Jul 26, 2009,
Most of the stuff he's recorded was on a strat.

Also, that LP has P-90's, a type of single coil pickup.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ok : ) I`ll think about what you guys said. Btw can you remove the humbucker from the les paul and dremel outa bigger cavity and insert a p90?
Last edited by Mekon at Jul 27, 2009,
Okay thank you with that. But on the topic between those 2 guitars, which one would you choose?
P90s are more on par in terms of size with a minihumbucker, like in a Gibson Firebird.

Quote by Mekon
Okay thank you with that. But on the topic between those 2 guitars, which one would you choose?

The two in your original post? Between that particular Les Paul and that particular Jet, the Gretsch.
Quote by Flying Couch
P90s are more on par in terms of size with a minihumbucker, like in a Gibson Firebird.

The two in your original post? Between that particular Les Paul and that particular Jet, the Gretsch.

YAY! Finally an answer on the topic : )
Gretsch.Better quality all round.Probably won't cover the heavier side of things aswell as a les paul would,but would do you well for classic rock.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I was leaning myself towards Gretsch as well. However the b5 looks out of place, so would a b7 fit there? Also how good are the pickups? And if I in the future would want to replace them is it possible? Dont get me wring my hands are in the right place and I am pretty crafty with stuff like this, but it is a mini humbucker there so will something else fit in there? : )
the gretsch is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better
for the price of a standard les paul you can get a white falcon man
The Gretsch doesn't have dots on the fingerboard it has those inlays at the 6 strings. Is it easy to get used to the change? Cause I am really used to the dots. : P