Poll: How often do you change your tone?
Poll Options
View poll results: How often do you change your tone?
Every song. Each song needs a different tone to match it
22 29%
Once in a while to not at all. Most songs you can use pretty much the same thing
53 71%
Voters: 75.
Page 1 of 2
I was just wondering what the average bassist does with this. Are you the kind of person where every other song you are fiddling with the tone and your band has to wait on you because you need it to be juuuust perfect? Or are you the bassist who makes their own pretty much 'master' tone that you use for just about any song?

Since I got my MIM Jazz and my Sansamp I have turned into the guy the band waits on because I'm changing my tone for every song and I need it to be just perfect.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
It stays the same fr the most part, sometimes during a song I'll put on the phaser if it works.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
When i sit at home I like to mess around with my settings. But when i play in a group I usually just set it flat and pump up the volume so that its audible.
I change it every time I pick up my bass. I'd like nothing more than to be able to have EQ presets built into a pedal. A usual feature of my tone is boosting the mids to cut through the mix BUT with my new ATK I've found I can get a tasty tone by using a metal/slap tone (treble + bass boost, mids cut) but I'd get drowned out if I used it in anything other than solos and fills.
It depends on what you mean by "changing the tone". I tweak mine to match each song, but only little adjustments.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Well, I add distortion when needed. Otherwise, I keep my amp the same (Bass a bit past 5, mid between six and seven, and treble a bit past eight), and then just change the pickup volumes and change the tone knob a bit where it fits, but other than that, I keep it the same; I'm not generally percise about it, just the slight changes to make me feel like I did something.
Sober edit: I already found tone i love so rarely change it.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Last edited by C0_0kie at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by C0_0kie
I play 5 string in standard tuning, so in general i don't need to change tone, i can play most of things without changing tuning.

Wait... what?
I change my tone a lot. Not too much changing with EQ on the amp, my bass eq is always bass/treble cranked to get a hot sound, I have an eq pedal for big changes during songs. And I move my pickup selector around a lot.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by C0_0kie
I play 5 string in standard tuning, so in general i don't need to change tone, i can play most of things without changing tuning.

Ug?

Normally I change mine for every song Although I do try to hurry it up if everyones waiting on meh.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
i keep one tone that sounds the sweetest to my ears. it's achieved through various amp settings, and external EQ-ing. for different songs, i'll swap guitars and mess with the volume/tone on the guitar.

the above applies also for clean sounds dialled-in separately.
I have 3 presets, a Trebble tone a Bassy fretless tone and a Distortion solo tone. I flip between them depending song.
I also change pickups on the fly.
There is a song I wrote when I change tones 4 times and change basses once.
When im playing live i'll usually have a set EQ on the amp and then just fiddle around with the tone knob on my bass every song, if i see fit.
If it's just practise or i'm on my own i like to fiddle when i get tired of the jam i have going on. If that makes sense.
I don't touch the tone knob on the bass or mess with the controls on the amp. The tone on my bass is always cranked all the way up, and everything on the amp is set in the middle (call me a noob if you want, but that's just the way I like the sound).
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
I wouldn't say every song, but I like different tones for different genres and I listen to some diverse stuff I guess. Lots of tones
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Spaz91
Wait... what?

Was drunk.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
I have a tone that i use all the time. On my own everything's flat, when I'm playing with people I'll crank the bass knob on my bass's preamp.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I've worked out a 'standard' tone that works with pretty much everything I play. I'd then add effects, slight changes, boost the low end, add subharmonics, and so on, but it's pretty much based on the standard sound.

Then I got a new bass. Need to work out that standard again. :p
I'm a tweaker.

I constantly mess around with tone. midsong, presong, whenever.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I found a tone that I like and I usually keep to it but I'll tweak every now and then. When I do tweak I'll spend like thirty minutes and oly adjust like half a notch.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I tend to set it to how I like it on my amp and usually I don't change it but as my bass as a 2 band eq I usually mess about with the bass/treble on that to get the best tone for the song, saves time messing with the amp and also means I can still have the various possibilities.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
whenever i pick up a different guitar. all of mine sound different.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
i play passive. set the EQ almost entirely flat with a slight tweak in the high end for some growl. never change it.
#DTWD
I dont really have a good idea on either how i like my tone to be ... or really how to get it in most cases.

So, a while ago i ended up discovering a tone which i liked while practicing with the band i'm in and i wrote it down cause i was scared about the knobs getting a bit tweaked during a drive.

The only thing i do now is maybe mess with the drive knob for the lulz.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by konfyouzd
whenever i pick up a different guitar. all of mine sound different.

Isn't that the idea? Why bother having different instruments if you change the settings on your amp to make them sound the same?

Or did I misunderstand your post?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Isn't that the idea? Why bother having different instruments if you change the settings on your amp to make them sound the same?

Or did I misunderstand your post?

well i have to tweak my amp settings when i change guitars generally too. yea they all have their own inherent tone, but i have to do some EQing to make them each sound "good" to me. and even though i thought i'd memorized the settings for each guitar i still find myself tweaking FOREVER.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Jul 27, 2009,
I leave my amp alone usually, with all the bands in moderation. I know my bass really well though, so I can change my tone to one well-matched with the song in a second or two. I can't play the Lemon Song with the same tone I use for Canned Heat. Heathens!
Quote by konfyouzd
well i have to tweak my amp settings when i change guitars generally too. yea they all have their own inherent tone, but i have to do some EQing to make them each sound "good" to me. and even though i thought i'd memorized the settings for each guitar i still find myself tweaking FOREVER.

most people for get too readily how much venues change the sound. that's why you always are tweaking.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I usually keep a mental log of a few different basic tones that I like on each of my basses, and pick according to the song. The one exception is my Spector, which I almost always have both pups turned all the way up with the EQ flat, though occasionally I'll boost the upper mids or lows a smidge. I've found that that tone works for just about everything. When I pluck right in between the pickups, it cuts through really well but still has some low end to it. I almost always keep my amp EQ completely flat, but that's partly because the 3 band eq on my amp at home (Yorkville XM100, I think) sucks, especially the mids. Boosting the mids at all makes the bass sound terrible IMO.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by Canadian_basser
I can't play the Lemon Song with the same tone I use for Canned Heat. Heathens!

genius!

i too, am a tweaker. not too much the amp, but the knobs on the bass get used alot.
I change it a lot. For some songs I get a nice deep bassy tone, for others I'll give it more high end and less bass. It doesn't take me long to change it though as I have a good idea of where to put the knobs and just roll with whatever tone I get.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
genius!

i too, am a tweaker. not too much the amp, but the knobs on the bass get used alot.

the bass is usually all you need for a good tweakin.

I got your years of experience to prove it :P
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i didnt vote, because answer is somewhere in between. I generally create a tone that i really like, i change it as my style changes, and then if a certain song feels like it demands a little more of a certain flair, ill make a little tweak just for that song
I would say that is considered once in a while to not at all, which is the 2nd choice
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
only when needed. doesnt vary much anyways i dont use a lot of effects
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Very rarely.

I pretty much have 2 tones on my electric. Funk, and everything else. And I can switch the settings completely from my bass. I love on active pre amps

I havent touched my amps EQ in months
Page 1 of 2