Ok, so my friend's been looking for a new bass amp lately because he currently has a 350W Behringer stack (4x10s) and it sounds horrible.

The amp isn't that loud at all, for practicing, just me and him in the room (guitar and bass), we turn it up about halfway. The tone of the amp is bass, and that's it. There is no clarity whatsoever, all you hear is huge bass that rumbles the house, but unless you mute every string before you hit another note, everything just jumbles together and sounds like a huge booming sound that you can't really distinguish any notes from.

He uses an Ibanez SR500 4 string bass, and is looking into some 5 strings as well. It does have a pretty boomy sound by itself, but using software on my computer instead of his amp, it's able to achieve much more clarity. We mostly play metal (metalcore/deathcore/progressive/death/etc.).

He'd like to stay with a stack if possible. He's looking at around probably $800 max (including the sale of his amp) and will be buying used. I've found quite a few older, high powered, Peavey heads and cabs, as well as some GK and Ashdown, but when it comes to tone with bass amps, I have no idea.

Ideally, he'd like to just keep the cab he has and sell the head for cheap and pick something decent up in the $400 range, but also realizes that the cab may be a big contributor to the sound he doesn't like, so is willing to get something different.

Thanks in advanced!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yea, Behringer amps are crap for bass. they rate the wattage diffrently than most amps. When a behringer amp is 300 watts, its really only about 150.
Used stuff is great. I bought a Carvin 1000 watt head from ebay for 350 bucks, and an avatar 2x10 bass cab for 350 bucks from their site. You may want a 2x12 cab instead of a 4x10. 2x12's pump more air and cut through the mix better, which is extremely good for metal and metal varients.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
Yea, Behringer amps are crap for bass. they rate the wattage diffrently than most amps. When a behringer amp is 300 watts, its really only about 150.
Used stuff is great. I bought a Carvin 1000 watt head from ebay for 350 bucks, and an avatar 2x10 bass cab for 350 bucks from their site. You may want a 2x12 cab instead of a 4x10. 2x12's pump more air and cut through the mix better, which is extremely good for metal and metal varients.

Hmm interesting.

I didn't even know that they made 12" speakers for bass There's actually one on our CL right now for $225, along with an Ashdown MAG600 for $200.

My other friend used to have a MAG300 stack that this friend used to use as well. It's been a while since both of us have used it, so can't remember how it sounds
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ashdown seems to be a pretty great company based on what people say around here, expecially the MAG series. Thats a great deal for that MAG600. If you can test it before you buy it I wouldnt hesitate on getting your friend to consider that as his next bass head. He would have 600 bucks left for a couple of cabs and maby even an overdrive or compression pedal.
Quote by c3powil

O_O This is relevant to my interests. Explain please.
4 tens are going to be more inclined to high frequencies and 12's are going to accentuate the mids which is what we hear the most. Mids cut through the mix better than highs or lows. I think I read the thing about 12's pumping more air on the FAQ, but it might not be there anymore because their doing some renovations on it.
But still, 4x10's as far as i know find it very easy to produce lowers, infact more easy than a 1x15. Thats way in a way, 4 okay 10's can compete with 1 very good 15. 12's are neither for me. They dont have the punch of 10's or the round lows that i like, their just their.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul