Page 1 of 2
I got summoned for jury duty in January, but since I was at uni it got rescheduled for tommorow morning at 9am.

I don't even get paid for it, usually you get a bit of money if you have a job but I'm lazy and havn't gotten myself a job this summer.

I really don't want to do it. Has anyone else done it before? What am I in for, immense boredom?
Also how long does it last? (how many days/hours)

oh btw I'm in London, England.

UPDATE: Post 36.

Today I sat around all day, eventually got called to a case where they explained what the defendant had done, then let us go for lunch. After lunch there was some change which was left unexplained, but we were dismissed from the case. By the end of the day we had done nothing, in the last few minutes we were called to a new case and told what this defendant had done.

We were told strictly not to tell anyone about the cases, not even family members.

So here's what the prosecution told us (I think this is just a neutral account of what happened)

A kid named elliot, 17, looked pretty chavy is the defendant. A group of kids at this school (or college I guess) were all friends, about 20 of them I think. They fell out in January apparently.

In February they decided to make friends again, so they organised to go out.
Elliot decided he didn't want to go, and him and a few of his friends, including Matt, decided to go to Elliot's house.

The others that decided to go out, including Daniel, thought "hmm I wonder why they didn't come out" and so went towards Elliot's house to ask Matt why he didn't come.

On the way there (this part confused me) Daniel and the others (the guys that had went out) saw Elliot and Matt ride past on their bikes. Daniel said "Hello" but was ignored. The second time, they turned around and they shook hands (wtf!?)

Then Elliot went to his house (which was nearby) and came out with a knife. Others tried to restrain him, fearing he'd do something stupid, but he got free and managed to slice open Daniel's cheek. A 4cm cut that acutally went all the way through the cheek.

A girl that was with them, punched Elliot in the side of the head, and was then cut by Elliot on the nose. (small cut)

Elliot is being charged on 3 cases, cutting Daniel, cutting the girl (I forget het name) and carrying a knife. He is going with the self defense angle.
========

Now they all sound like chavs to me, what kind of ****bag-scum-of-society knifes their friends. In the end, it'll be Elliot's word against Daniel's, but either way they are both part of the same clique and are probably just as chavy as eachother. I guess it depends on how well the po-po did their job, to get evidence to convince the jury.

BUT **** THAT, I'LL LET YOU DECIDE.
So, should this kid get raped in the showers, or set free?
Last edited by Gaz_m2k5 at Jul 27, 2009,
"Awful lotta honkies in here"
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
how long does it last? Well, depends on the case. Afaik you don't have a choice.
"i'm sorry your honour but i'm convinced jurour number 4 is a rapist and i dont feel comfortable sitting in front of him"
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Me: *files for hardship*
Judge: Are you a full-time student?
Me: Yes.
Judge: How many units are you taking this quarter?
Me: 15
Judge: You are excused.

See how simple that was?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
When it comes to deliberate completely disagree with everyone else that should be fun.
Proud owner of a Les Paul
Most of the time you luck out and the convict won't pick you.

The other time, the convict picks you because you're wearing a band shirt and a denim vest
Or bring your own gavel, and after everything the defendant says, yell "GUILTY!!". They'll prolly just toss you out bar-style. And then you can yell "I HAD A GAVEL", but then they'll throw it out the door and it'll hit you in the head, so you lose either way.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Quote by lupin50
When it comes to deliberate completely disagree with everyone else that should be fun.

and hopefully you'll get a hung jury, at which point you can pull down your pants, stand proudly and proclaim "talk about your hung jurys"
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
just prove you're biased and they can't let you on the jury. at least it's that way here in the states.

or go in there dressed like a male prostitute.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Last edited by skwelcher at Jul 26, 2009,
just act like a racist/nazi/skin-head/scenile/loud/idiotic/anarchist/roid-raging rapist.
If anyone asks, your mom died from cancer from getting raped by an alcoholic drug using little girl who was hit by her father of a non-white heritage and animistic culture that has strong ties to abortion, stem cell research and doesn't believe in global warming but does shoplift everyday.

You won't have to serve on any jury then.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by guitar-guy01
"i'm sorry your honour but i'm convinced jurour number 4 is a rapist and i dont feel comfortable sitting in front of him"

he will just make you sit somewhere else xD
Quote by Grindar
Most of the time you luck out and the convict won't pick you.

The other time, the convict picks you because you're wearing a band shirt and a denim vest

Are you trying to tell us something?
My setup:

Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Epiphone Les Paul Negative
VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
Quote by LankeyDwarf
Are you trying to tell us something?

Don't wear metalhead clothes to try to get out of jury duty, because then you get passed through, and the convict might be a metalhead too.
Quote by Grindar
Don't wear metalhead clothes to try to get out of jury duty, because then you get passed through, and the convict might be a metalhead too.

what about a black metal dude?
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Just do it.

Maybe you'll get a fun case.

Or better,
someone you know.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by skwelcher
what about a black metal dude?

I walked into the court shirtless, then put on the vest unbuttoned, and they finally made me put on a shirt underneath. WHY did it have to be Maiden, and not something obscure?

Edit:

The case was awesome though, some huge firefight between a SWAT team, with a hostage and stuff, and we got to see the video. He killed one cop though, so he was fucked, before the case started.

I wasn't even able to make it to the end, as I got my job at CSIS, and that pretty much invalidated any more court related input for the rest of my life.
Last edited by Grindar at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by C/ruel
If anyone asks, your mom died from cancer from getting raped by an alcoholic drug using little girl who was hit by her father of a non-white heritage and animistic culture that has strong ties to abortion, stem cell research and doesn't believe in global warming but does shoplift everyday.

You won't have to serve on any jury then.

Holy shit. Its full proof.

Just prove youre biased if its a big case. Say you believe that murders should be allowed to be aquitted if they had a reason to kill someone
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
dress like this:

except with a pentagram somewhere on it. that's pretty biased
Quote by webbtje
Quote by chr15t0ph3r
he will just make you sit somewhere else xD

correction my amigo, rapist in the jury = cancelled trial
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Probably has been mentioned before, but the trick to escape is to say that you discriminate against every race.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

consult the pit before issuing a verdict
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Declare shenanigans on the convicts tomfoolery.
My setup:

Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Epiphone Les Paul Negative
VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
Quote by lespaul1216
consult the pit before issuing a verdict

Not this
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Quote by skwelcher
dress like this:

except with a pentagram somewhere on it. that's pretty biased

I can just imagine a black metal dude in the jury with a bludgeoning club! Sitting down all patient-like.
im not sure how it is in england, but in the US you get interviewed by the lawyers of each side of the case and they usually pick the jury from there.

just act REALLY opinionated and dont leave any grey areas. they are looking for people that are flexible and can be swayed during the case (atleast the defense attorney is).
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Today I sat around all day, eventually got called to a case where they explained what the defendant had done, then let us go for lunch. After lunch there was some change which was left unexplained, but we were dismissed from the case. By the end of the day we had done nothing, in the last few minutes we were called to a new case and told what this defendant had done.

We were told strictly not to tell anyone about the cases, not even family members.

So here's what the prosecution told us (I think this is just a neutral account of what happened)

A kid named elliot, 17, looked pretty chavy is the defendant. A group of kids at this school (or college I guess) were all friends, about 20 of them I think. They fell out in January apparently.

In February they decided to make friends again, so they organised to go out.
Elliot decided he didn't want to go, and him and a few of his friends, including Matt, decided to go to Elliot's house.

The others that decided to go out, including Daniel, thought "hmm I wonder why they didn't come out" and so went towards Elliot's house to ask Matt why he didn't come.

On the way there (this part confused me) Daniel and the others (the guys that had went out) saw Elliot and Matt ride past on their bikes. Daniel said "Hello" but was ignored. The second time, they turned around and they shook hands (wtf!?)

Then Elliot went to his house (which was nearby) and came out with a knife. Others tried to restrain him, fearing he'd do something stupid, but he got free and managed to slice open Daniel's cheek. A 4cm cut that acutally went all the way through the cheek.

A girl that was with them, punched Elliot in the side of the head, and was then cut by Elliot on the nose. (small cut)

Elliot is being charged on 3 cases, cutting Daniel, cutting the girl (I forget het name) and carrying a knife. He is going with the self defense angle.
========

Now they all sound like chavs to me, what kind of ****bag-scum-of-society knifes their friends. In the end, it'll be Elliot's word against Daniel's, but either way they are both part of the same clique and are probably just as chavy as eachother. I guess it depends on how well the po-po did their job, to get evidence to convince the jury.

to gaz_m2k5...are you legally allowed to tell us this info?
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01
to gaz_m2k5...are you legally allowed to tell us this info?

No.
Well it's not illegal, but they'd probably disqualify me as a juror if they found out, which is fine with me.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

I say he goes to jail.
I'm not gay, a lot of people think I'm gay. I have a girlfriend, she thinks I'm gay.
Page 1 of 2