hey ug
these days im getin more into the amp side of guitar
and i just wanted to know as the title says, the difference between british or american voiced amps
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
You know that's an interesting question, I want to find the answer myself. A friend of mine has a Vox which can be set on UK modern or Uk 80's and what not, along with the American voices, so I'll play aroudn with the settings and see what the difference is in tone. Someone else will haev to come up with a more "researched" answer I'd guess you say
British amps, think the sound of a Vox or a Marshall.
American, think Fender on the low gain side, all the way up to Mesa Boogie or Diezel on the high gain side.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
American Voiced amps typically have 6L6 or 6V6s and have the mids rolled of somewhat, they have more low end also that is looser. Examples include: Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Buddy Guy, and many others.

Brit Voiced amps, Breakup earlier and have VERY prominent mids (300-2k). They are usually a bit more "raunchy and are somewhat tighter in the low end depending on the amp. Examples include: Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, (Live) Joe Bonamassa, Slash

remember when I'm talking about these that I'm going by the typical Marshall Fender comparision. Mesas are american voiced and have an extremely tight low end while JCM2000's have a somewhat scooped mid
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Darkflame
i'd guess the american voiced amps have a more pronounced mid scoop and sound more bassy and high-gain, while the british voiced amps would be more crunchy and have more midrange ? just a guess though

british = marshall, american = mesa

the way this sounds is that british is more on the overdriven, guns n roses style
while american is more hardcore
and this was the kind of answer i was looking for, something that would say that this was tighter low end or watever, not that british think of vox or marshall etc
thx guys
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
the way this sounds is that british is more on the overdriven, guns n roses style
while american is more hardcore
and this was the kind of answer i was looking for, something that would say that this was tighter low end or watever, not that british think of vox or marshall etc
thx guys

Not really. Brit voicing doesn't mean it's Crunchy it's just typical. Go look up the Splawn Nitro. one of the tightest most thumping low end's you will ever hear. then go look at a Fender Blues junior. it has a HUGE mid hump and a fairly tight low end for what it is.

so don't base ANY of your desicions on what we're saying here
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
British voicing vs. American voicing can really be blurred as well, especially when you start getting into early Marshall amps and early Fender amps. Most people would consider a Fender tweed an "American" amp, in fact, it IS the American classic for rock and blues. But at the same time, crank a Fender tweed and it sounds a lot like an early Marshall. A lot of things can contribute to the differences in tone between the two though, such as speakers. A vintage Fender used a 4x10 Jensen setup and the first Marshalls used a 4x12 Celestion cabinet which gives it more of a mid bark.

Its hard to generalize what exactly is British and what exactly is American, I guess the most common example is a Vox AC vs. a Fender BF. They differ a lot in their natural EQ, response, and most notably how they break up when they distort.

Dunno if that helps, it's hard to really say anything of value without making blanket statements about American amps vs. British amps.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened
American, think Fender on the low gain side, all the way up to Mesa Boogie or Diezel on the high gain side.

Diezel? I always thought that Diezel, Engl, H&K and the like were German voiced (tight and colder).
I think of American voiced as being bass-y and slightly scooped mids. Also, American amps have brighter cleans.

I think of British voicing as being characterized by a roaring mid-range and punchier cleans.

Of course, Hiwatts have a very Fender characteristic about them and early Fenders (especially the Bassman) lent themselves to the development to early Marshalls.
Quote by oneblackened

Diezel is a German toned amp (which is based around tighter low end and more crisp highs with a middle-ground between British and American midrange voicing).

For British tones: Think Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix.

For American tones: Think SRV and John Mayer.

British tones: More focused in raunchy high midrange bark.

American tones: Smoother sounding, scoopier midrange with glassy highs and warm low end.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores