|-0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-------0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0----|---|
| |X2
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|---|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---8---8---8---8---8---8---8---8h11p8---7---7---7---7---7---7---6---6-----|
|-0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0--------0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-------|

If you haven't heard the song, these are all straight 8th notes at about 200-220 BPM. I just can't seem to be able to play this clearly. Can anybody suggest any sort of picking pattern to use when playing this? I guess that "outside" picking would help most when playing this.
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
economy pick it, don't alternate pick it
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by kingofdudes161
economy pick it, don't alternate pick it

Economy Pick this? Isn't economy picking like U, D, D, U, D, D, U, D, D and vice versa?
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
practice playing staccato, at no tempo, as in, play a note, any note, and then immediately rest your pick on the string again. on one string it should sound like dut... dut... dut... practice all up strokes, all down strokes, alternating, and sweeping. do this for like ten minutes and you should notice an increase in speed.
In this case, alternate picking and economy picking are the same thing, unless you start your alternate picking with an 'up' for some strange reason. I asked the same question a while ago and received the general response of 'outside picking' which in this case happens to also be economy picking.

So, pick down on the sixth string and up on the fifth string.

Economy simply means that the direction that you pick the note is towards the next string you will be hitting, so when you are just alternating strings it is the same as outside picking.
Start at 40bpm. Play it perfectly. A lot. Then bump your speed up until you start making mistakes. Then bump it back a few bpm and play it perfectly. A lot. Rinse, repeat, until results desired are met.
It looks like a simple enough riff. I'm a horrible person because I use inside picking, but that's how I would play it.
outside picking and practice it with about 50% of the tempo so at around 110 and make sure to pay close attention to your picking motion and to make sure that your strokes are even and consistent
- Cort X-2
- ESP EC-1000
- RGA 121 Prestige VLF
- Roland Cube 20x
- Peavey 6505+ 112
- POD x3
The picking that produces the cleaner results and has the heaviest sound for metal riffs like this is to downpick all the notes. It is quite hard in high tempos but has a more aggressive sound. Now if you are a bit lazy like me you can have the same effect with inside picking without getting unwanted noise. Not the most correct way but if it works...
I would
D D U DUDUDUDUDUD

basically downpick when going towards higher pitch strings and up pick the other way around
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.