You will probably get this question but ive noticed that no matter what I do when I play with my amp in it always sounds bad. Its not a very good amp, came with my guitar which is a beginner one so I wasnt expecting much from it and I plan on buying a new one asap, im thinking of going for a roland cube.

No doubt the amp is part of the reason it sounds so bad when plugged in, but I also get the feeling my technique has something to do with it. I always seem to make unwanted noise when playing, mainly through notes ringing out when i fret them before i pluck them. It especially sounds back when I play fast.

I guess its something I need to work on but does anyone have advice on this accidental note tapping?
Learn to mute properly, there are some lessons on here, and practice at a slower tempo, it helps with the accuracy and coordination of both hands. What is the amp you have anyways?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Bad amp gives you bad tone. Bad technique gives you sloppy chops and noises, what do you hear?
turn the gain down, get a elastic hair tie and wrap it around the neck between the 1st fret and the nut(closer to the nut that`ll quieten it down alot, until you master dampning the strings.
both lol. I will try working on my muting. I dont plug my amp in much mainly because of how bad it is. It and the guitar were from argos as a Christmas present so I dont expect you to recognize the amps make or model.

It says EG-10J on it and elevation as the make whoever they are.

Its no good for me. Gain and Volume and Treble and Bass are the only options I have with it.
Quote by mikeyb9m3bek
both lol. I will try working on my muting. I dont plug my amp in much mainly because of how bad it is. It and the guitar were from argos as a Christmas present so I dont expect you to recognize the amps make or model.

It says EG-10J on it and elevation as the make whoever they are.

Its no good for me. Gain and Volume and Treble and Bass are the only options I have with it.

I had an amp like that... It made my ds-1 on max gain sound awesome in comparison...

If your willing to hold out for more money before upgrading its best, however if you've been playing unplugged maybe upgrade :-/
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by ibanezgod1973
turn the gain down, get a elastic hair tie and wrap it around the neck between the 1st fret and the nut(closer to the nut that`ll quieten it down alot, until you master dampning the strings.

Ye but surely not every guitarist who plays electric guitar is constantly damping the strings when playing? Notes ring out the moment I hit them.
Learn to use your right hand palm to mute the lower strings, and your free fingers on your left hand to mute the higher strings, its tricky at first but keep working at it.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Unwanted noise is just practice, bud. Being able to mute the notes you don't want to play, say, in a powerchord on the A and G strings is key to playing, it means you can strum instead of planting your hand on the bridge and playing just the two strings.

Also, try only putting your finger on the note the split second you play it, it'll make it less noisy. Turning the gain down or being more subtle will help too :]
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by mikeyb9m3bek
Ye but surely not every guitarist who plays electric guitar is constantly damping the strings when playing? Notes ring out the moment I hit them.

if it`s unwanted string noise thet are.
I've noticed since i play more i'm getting better and better at preventing string noise, either it's my fingers coming off the strings cleaner and not "pulling off" or it's me muting the things with my strumming hand and not noticing as much

Keep practicing you'll notice you'll get smoother and smoother

but if it's a amp i'm thinking off it's a generic crap one, i have one i was playing with about 20mins ago, the only way to get distortion is to turn up the gain to max and you get this BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT through everything, no matter what i did i couldn't make it sound anywhere near decent, even my cube blew it away
Last edited by BoL7z at Jul 27, 2009,