#2
one is made of Alder and the other is made of mahogany
the wood does a bigger part in your tone than the pickups
Hola.
#3
Well, the main difference I can see right off that bat is that... they dont have the same pickups.

And:
Wood type, scale length, pickgaurd, the Godin also doesnt look very appealing either.. (IMO)
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Last edited by KiraIBZ at Jul 26, 2009,
#4
I know. I want to know what would be better.

Trade in my current guitar or change the pickups.

I want a SRV/Mayer/Hendrix tone.

Changing the pickups would be not that bad money wise but changing guitar would cost me more than three times the cash and I'd be broke.
Last edited by TinyJimbo at Jul 26, 2009,
#5
Different woods, different tones.

You'll get a darker tone with the godin, and brighter tones with the strat.


Well, get the strat for the mayer/srv/hendrix thingies. They all have strats and you'll get the tone easier if you have one of those wood thingies with metal strings that people call "strats".
Last edited by Andrusho at Jul 26, 2009,
#6
yep different tones.

hell even in two of the same brand/style guitars, the pickups will sound different. Wood is always just a little different between each build
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
#7
Quote by luyano
one is made of Alder and the other is made of mahogany
the wood does a bigger part in your tone than the pickups

Not really. Pickups are the biggest part of a guitar's tone, but they each interact differently with the wood. I'd say it's about 40% wood and the rest of the components in the guitar, 60% pickups and scale length.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
#8
I guess you just figured out the difference between body wood and scale length....
#9
Well I've pretty much made my mind.

I'll save up for a MIM Stratocaster and mod it slowly.
#10
Quote by Shinozoku
Not really. Pickups are the biggest part of a guitar's tone, but they each interact differently with the wood. I'd say it's about 40% wood and the rest of the components in the guitar, 60% pickups and scale length.


I don't really agree. A good piece of wood makes an immeasurable difference
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
#11
i was going to say to keep your guitar and switch the pickups, but then i noticed the 24 3/4" scale length. I'm not sure. It really depends on how much of a difference that scale length is making. I wouldn't expect that mahogany body to make all that much of a difference considering the guitar has a trem and a bolt-on maple neck, kind of thing. I mean, i have a patrick eggle new york pro which has a mahogany body and a set maple neck with ebony fretboard (plus a strat-style trem), and if you'd listen to a lot of the people here you'd expect it to be really dark-sounding, yet it's probably my brightest-sounding guitar- brighter than my alder/maple tokai strat.

If you can determine that the scale length isn't the cause of your problems (i remember from your last thread), then i'd stick with the guitar (assuming you otherwise like how it plays etc.) and upgrade the pickups. of course, I have no idea of how you would determine that, and most people would agree that scale length makes a pretty big difference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 27, 2009,
#12
Quote by luyano
one is made of Alder and the other is made of mahogany
the wood does a bigger part in your tone than the pickups


don't the wood and pickups kind of work together? like how some pickups seem to be better voiced for one wood or the other and such?
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.