I'm having a slight problem with noise when sweep-picking. It seems whenever I sweep an arpeggio in which there is a note on the 3rd string(open g) I always get a slight hum after taking my finger completely off to use it again in the sweep. I first take my finger off slightly to mute the note but when I take it completely off there is still a slight hum after.

Its not like an accidental pulloff just a slight hum. Is this just the natural decay off the note I played? A slight string vibration or harmonic that is just always going to be there? Or is my muting technique bad?

Its pretty much only apparent without right hand muting with the base of my thumb.

Which brings me to one more question is right hand muting while sweeping cheating?

I'm just asking all this so I get the technique down the right way.
Okay I'm no expert of about sweeping and relatively new also, but from what I see... it is natural! Either... try to lift up your finger without making the string move at all (easiest way to make it move it accidentally moving it down/up while you take it off) or mute it! I know a lot of people who mutes it with their... left or right hand. I'm not sure if its cheating... but if you manage to do it cleanly I wouldn't really care. Yeah I'd say... you need to improve your muting, it's not bad, but its not completely clean. Try to play it super slow and see maybe wheres the problem, it also helps to get someone to see you play it or record yourself.
Thanks for the help, I've actually been practicing all day, and its getting a lot better.

I figured out I can mute it slightly when I fret the 2nd string after and let the fretting finger stick up and hit the 3rd string with the top of my finger canceling the noise.

Also, I've been lightening up on my pick attack so I don't sweep the strings too aggresively and get a lot of vibrations, its got a lot better but I still have to clean it up a bit.
NO form of muting (apart from noise gates and hair bands) is cheating. If you can mute it and make it sound clean with your hands it's a good thing, however you do it.
Quote by JA91
Thanks for the help, I've actually been practicing all day, and its getting a lot better.

I figured out I can mute it slightly when I fret the 2nd string after and let the fretting finger stick up and hit the 3rd string with the top of my finger canceling the noise.

Also, I've been lightening up on my pick attack so I don't sweep the strings too aggresively and get a lot of vibrations, its got a lot better but I still have to clean it up a bit.

I yeah I don't *think* sweeping is supposed to be picked really hard! In my opinion its like... a graceful technique where you apply very little force.