I have a Rivera R100-212 with KT77 for powerful headroom and amazing cleans. It's a discontinued model of $1300 with a Twin reverb based clean channel with the ability to Tweed/Blackface and a knob for brightness. The Lead is based on the Marshall Plexi and both can self-boost. It has a presence knob/Reverb knob.

I wanted to post it up for trade and see what I could get either for playing metalcore or even better for playing Ambient like music. I got one offer for a Fender Bassman 250 or a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 among some guitars I don't know of yet. Would either actually be better than my current amplifier for Ambient like music? It seems the Bassman 250 is a Bass amp(orly?) and I've heard a lot about in the GG&A forum or am I mistaking it for another?

Can someone please enlighten me?

Any questions, feel free to shoot. Thank you everyone.

Edit: Here's a video of how the amp sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhK3r1mr2Vg
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Last edited by RR787 at Jul 26, 2009,
I'd much rather keep the Rivera, sounds like a pretty solid amp to me.
WTLTL 2011
Keep it, it sounds amazing.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Keep the Rivera. The Bassman 250 is actually a bass amp that's in current production. The old Bassman amps are much different, and actually the "tweed" setting on your Rivera is modeled after one.

If that's you in the vid and you want to get rid of amp hiss, put a JAN Phillips 5751 or Mullard 12AT7 int he PI of the amp. Both will also increase headroom even more.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 26, 2009,
Keep it!

And I'm so happy about the recent increase in Shoegaze & Ambient plays lately!
Seems like it's a keeper guys. Also, I wasn't playing in that video but I'll try that for the hiss. It's not so noticeable even with cranked reverb and the Verbzilla on it but I rather not have any hiss at all!

I need moar delayz and modulation, time to start saving up for moar pedals. =)
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Also, what brand of power tubes are you using? If you find the amp to be excessively bright, JJ tubes are the way to go (they make a great KT77).

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

It's actually pretty dark, currently with JJ KT77s. I should get a EQ pedal or a clean boost/OD with a finishing touch of brightness.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Keep it!

And I'm so happy about the recent increase in Shoegaze & Ambient plays lately!

Mosdef!

But yea, keep the amp. If you are intent on trading it, go with the JC-120. Great amps, amazing cleans and it takes pedals really well (which I assume you'll be using for ambient :P )
I got offered a Mesa Boogie Caliber. Any opinions on that? lol

Just when I woke I received an email on that.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Quote by RR787
It's actually pretty dark, currently with JJ KT77s. I should get a EQ pedal or a clean boost/OD with a finishing touch of brightness.

A change in the PI should help that darkness. Also, try a Tung Sol 12AX7 in the V1 of the amp, or even go for the JAN in the V1 and the Mullard 12AT7 in the PI. Those should balance out the tone nicely.

I'd pick Rivera over any Mesa except perhaps a Mark series, Road King, or Lone Star; but find some clips of the Caliber and see if you like it.

Is the Caliber another name for the DC series? If so, you can find some clips of all the DC series (AFAIK) on netmusicians.org.

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 27, 2009,
Seems to be another model but I'm no expert on mesas.

Here are 2 videos; one of an ambient rig on the Mesa and one of the Mesa for modern distortion.

Hi Gain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auFVojzhQeE

Ambient(First 60seconds only)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbU7yDX-_EE

I love how my Rivera sounds and how it is so versatile but I'll see what I decide. This specific Mesa impressed me so far and while I would prefer a MarkIV or something like that, I still will consider my options. I really like Rivera's sound but I wish to get a more modern sound out of my rig so I'll have to think this over for a bit.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Last edited by RR787 at Jul 27, 2009,