Page 1 of 2
I'm a lefty, but i've never actually played a lefty guitar or bass, i've always just played the standard.... Do any other lefties play righty?
I do
Guitar - Music Man John Petrucci X

Amp - Ronald cube 60, willing be getting a Mark V soon
Quote by sgany
I do

Do you have any problems?

I've never tried a lefty guitar, and if people like you and I can use standard, what's the point of the lefty guitar? Is there some advantage we would get if we were to pick one up?
My friends father is a really good player and popular around here. He plays left handed on a right handed guitar but the strings aren't changed around. its fukd up. You see him making chords and it looks so messed up, but he's killer
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
Quote by kaossurge

I've never tried a lefty guitar, and if people like you and I can use standard, what's the point of the lefty guitar? Is there some advantage we would get if we were to pick one up?

a couple of extra frets, but if you're used to righties, just stick with using them. much cheaper/easier than having to track down and buy a good lefty.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Im lefty, play righty. It's alot more common that ya think
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by kaossurge

I am left handed but I play right. There is no reason really to play left handed. Everyone has to start from ground zero and move up, so why not go for the choice that will offer more options?

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I play righty, I made the switch back when I bought my les paul, it feels more natural to me than playing lefty did.
I do too. I'm 37 now and played bass from when I was 15 until I was 19. I decided back then to just play right handed because it didn't seem easier with either hand. If that was the case, I might as well play right handed and not be locked in to a limited supply of left handed equipment.

I picked up an acoustic about 3 months ago and I just continued to play right handed.
I also play normally, and I'm left-handed. Playing "lefty" makes no sense to me.
Im a lefty playing right. Makes me wonder why righties dont play left sometimes.
Quote by MetalManiac_86
My friends father is a really good player and popular around here. He plays left handed on a right handed guitar but the strings aren't changed around. its fukd up. You see him making chords and it looks so messed up, but he's killer

That's not that uncommon. A selection of lefty guitars are not allways available so sometimes lefty poeple just buy righty guitars and play them leffty with changing strings around because they won't be able to set it up right. A saw a video from a guy in the baking band for eric clapton playing a lefty guitar with the strings flipped just because thats what he was used to.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
i use a right handed acoustic. started w/ a right handed p-bass
i still use my friends right handed guitars, as long as theyre double-cutaway

edit: ^^i think playing w/ the strings unchanged(upside down) helps builds dexterity, though some chords are a pain in the ass
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
I do, I do everything with my left hand but when i tried a left-handed guitar it just felt so weird. Then I picked up and tried a right-handed guitar and it just felt better so thats the way i play.

i do
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Same here. Couldn't be bothered looking for a left-handed guitar when I started out, and I've stuck with right-handed guitars since.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top, Blue)
Cort X6
Ibanez Gio 7 string

Marshall MG50DFX (needs to go!)
I'm one, came from being sat with my dad's guitar (a righty) when i was a kid. Means I've now got a decent left hand, but my right is really sloppy... Practise needed
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Having a lefty means you can do cool poses with another guitarist.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.

Much like Dick Dale.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by MetalManiac_86

Hah, my friend Breeze (actual name) has that, that's really one of the sickest things to do on a guitar IMO. Your entire playing style is reversed.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Mark Knopfler is a lefty playing righty - and I believe Steve Morse is too. Doesn't hold them back.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
How could you forget Hendrix? He is, er, was a lefty playing a righty guitar with reversed strings.
i am a lefty but i play electric guitar right handedly
there is nothing wrong a left handed playing righty exept on hand picking
but the word practice is the bust word my friend
but now i can pick better

my guitar is a

BARCLAY

pretty rare huh
meeeeeee
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
My best friend is left-handed and he's always played righty.

Actually one of my friend's older brothers is left handed and plays right handed guitars left handed and doesn't flip the strings around. He's a really good player too. It's very interesting to watch someone play like that,
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
i'm a lefty, first month of my playing, i played the guitar upside-down...
then i went to righty... was hard at first, but now, after 2 years, i can whammy without a whammy bar!!!!!!
just kidding, i think i can play pretty nice (can play killswitch engage, iron maiden with solos... etc)
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
amp doesn't matter :P
I'm a semi-lefty. I'm comfortable writing with my left hand, but for almost everything else, I feel more comfortable using my right hand.

Same goes with guitar....I use a righty.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
I am left handed but I play right. There is no reason really to play left handed. Everyone has to start from ground zero and move up, so why not go for the choice that will offer more options?

Because when I started, it felt intesenly wrong to hold the guitar lefty, but just felt 'right' (excuse the pun) to hold it how I naturally would. You may have to start from the ground up either way, but might as well do it the most comfrotable way.
Page 1 of 2