Page 1 of 3

Quote by Wikipedia article
Steampunk is a sub-genre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles, analog computers, or digital mechanical computers (such as Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine); these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or with a presumption of functionality.

Steampunk is often associated with cyberpunk and shares a similar fanbase and theme of rebellion, but developed as a separate movement (though both have considerable influence on each other). Apart from time period and level of technological development, the main difference between cyberpunk and steampunk is that steampunk settings usually tend to be less obviously dystopian than cyberpunk, or lack dystopian elements entirely.

Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk.

I was surprised at how little steampunk discussed here, considering the many Final Fantasy fans in the Pit. Well that changes now. Discuss steampunk novels, comic books, video games, movies, fashion, and everything else steampunk.

I just recently bought a pair of steampunk goggles and I absolutely love them. They make me feel like the most confident person in the world. I feel like I could go up to the most beautiful woman in the world and ask her out. I am not lying or exaggerating at all.

I prefer cyberpunk à la Blade Runner.

DirtyEdit:

So, the "underwater" level in TimeSplitters:FP is of steampunk imagery?
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Jul 26, 2009,
I can't say I'm particularly enthused by the genre but the cyborg Abe is brilliant.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
It's cool that it makes you feel that way, but lets get back to reality.
Quote by CoreysMonster
says the guy with the Triforce in his sig

The internet is my shithole. I can assert my opinion wherever I fucking please.
I'm a pretty big steampunk fan. My current solo project is a concept album with steampunk themes.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Sure you could ask her out, but in those goggles you'd be lucky if she merely laughed in your face.
I like cyberpunk personally. I love technology. But steampunk is cool because it's so imaginative.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
The internet is my shithole. I can assert my opinion wherever I fucking please.

The playground of the world
Quote by SmarterChild
Sure you could ask her out, but in those goggles you'd be lucky if she merely laughed in your face.

+1

you look retarted.
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
Quote by guitarnoobie

I just recently bought a pair of steampunk goggles and I absolutely love them. They make me feel like the most confident person in the world. I feel like I could go up to the most beautiful woman in the world and ask her out. I am not lying or exaggerating at all.

Better get your flame-shield ready kid.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by GuitarNinja12
Better get your flame-shield ready kid.
I'll help you guitarnoobie!
I like the themes and concept of Steampunk, I'm currently working on a couple of Steampunk themed doom metal songs, but I'm not into the whole cosplay side of it.
🙈 🙉 🙊

??

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by ldzppln81
+1

you look retarted.

Quote by metabolicmaggot
Win. +1 cookie for hide the beer.

Quote by GiantRaven

Coolest character in Timesplitters: Future Perfect

ROBOT LOUIS STEVENSON!!!

I love that game.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik
ROBOT LOUIS STEVENSON!!!

I love that game.

everytime I think of Free Radical (TS devlopers) going under just as they started working TS4, I die a little inside...
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.

Steampunk Darth Vader is awesome.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Sounds like all those Mortal Engines and stuff books?
Victorian era is boring as anything but those sorts of books are amazing.

"Intense yet intricate" Scottish melodeath band, who have been reviewed live by Terrorizer, Metalgigs and Valkyrian Music in the past year

Get our debut EP Helveien, for free download.
Quote by eldanny
everytime I think of Free Radical (TS devlopers) going under just as they started working TS4, I die a little inside...

At least it might come out in some form...

Real shame about the company though

edit:

edit 2:

Last edited by GiantRaven at Jul 26, 2009,
Page 1 of 3